Mazda Appoints New CEO, Prioritises USA - Wonder If Any Immediate Impact On CX-5

Is it because he was Mazda NO CEO (uhm)

Last edited:
It’s definitely their strongest seller here. You do see CX-3, CX-9, and 3 a lot but 6 is not that common.

Umm yoy sales are not indicating that.
Focus on NA market means catering to American demands which is
More straight line speed
More space for the offsprings

Like what VW is doing. Or worse Mazda could woo 60+ drivers for a more premium feel which is going to be anti current mazda.
Any scenario where it chases American sales will be a turn for worse.

Focus on NA market means catering to American demands which is
More straight line speed
More space for the offsprings

This could be covered by the new SUV specifically for USA that was announced months ago and not across the board with all products

A quick promotion to Akira Marumoto as the CEO of Mazda from the head of Mazda North American Operations since 2013. Apparently the outgoing Masamichi Kogai has failed on his goal promised, such as raising the market share and improving the brand's low customer-retention rate (to 60% as he targeted!) in the all-important US market. The delay of SlyActiv-D to US market promised by Kogai should also have played a role.

Mazda looks to next-gen CX-5 for a lift

Mazda dealers look to recover from a rough 2016

A quick promotion to Akira Marumoto as the CEO of Mazda from the head of Mazda North American Operations since 2013. Apparently the outgoing Masamichi Kogai has failed on his goal promised, such as raising the market share and improving the brand's low customer-retention rate (to 60% as he targeted!) in the all-important US market. The delay of SlyActiv-D to US market promised by Kogai should also have played a role.

Mazda looks to next-gen CX-5 for a lift

Mazda dealers look to recover from a rough 2016

He's now chairman so not completely gone

Kaps is implying they're going the BMW route. Sacrificing driving experience for higher sales volume.

If Toyota has a greater (bigger stake) input then probably but with their current size and financing, probably not actually viable

Where else would they focus? Australia? Number 2 there so they're already on pretty solid ground. Europe? Where Mazda has less market share then they do here? And where the 2 and 3 face very stiff competition from a sub compact market much larger then ours.
#1 Market: AUS. #2 NA. #3 Europe.
Sounds like the smart play to me.

Little bit but their stake is not that large enough. Maybe via back channels perhaps (uhm)

Their stake is not big as you said but their influence may be much more. It’s my speculation that Toyota will increase ownership over time, especially if Mazda’s success grows. The new plant along with the CX-X will be the next step along with shared hybrid technology which Mazda needed.

Also my theory, but I suspect the Toyota deal was suggested as far back as the time Mazda went to Sumitomo for their mega loan. Sumitomo and Toyota are joined at the hip.

Their stake is not big as you said but their influence may be much more. It’s my speculation that Toyota will increase ownership over time, especially if Mazda’s success grows. The new plant along with the CX-X will be the next step along with shared hybrid technology which Mazda needed.

Also my theory, but I suspect the Toyota deal was suggested as far back as the time Mazda went to Sumitomo for their mega loan. Sumitomo and Toyota are joined at the hip.

Toyota can certainly afford a much larger stake

Seems good news for us US people at least seeing as the new CEOs focus is on our market. Not sure what that entails but I wish the best of luck to Mazda as Im sure we all do

Back