Window Tint Question

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hi All!

I have a couple of questions regarding window tint. I currently have a 17 GT. I currently have 20% Johnson film on my front roll downs. While cleaning the windows today, I noticed several isolated scratches on both windows. I don't recall them being there before, however, if something on/in the door was scratching it, I would imagine I would have long vertical scratches? Most of these were horizontal scratches.

Has anyone on this forum had any issues with small (or long) scratches on their tint? What brand tint do you all have? I am really thinking about using a better brand like Llumar, Hyper Optix, etc. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Last, it looks like our window moulding (where the window goes down) is felt, so I am thinking that shouldn't be scratching the windows. I keep my car in pristine condition - both inside and out.

If someone could give me some thoughts, that would be great!

Thanks!

Over here, tinting comes with lifetime warranty*

If it's the same there, have you thought about going back to the retailer/installer and get them to fix the issue (uhm)

*subject to conditions listed on their site

Most tints are fairly similar so doesn’t matter the brand too much.

If you have little dust or debri on the felt part of the window stripping and you roll the window down you will get a vertical line scratches.

I would see if they don’t come off with getting your finger wet and rubbing it. If it doesn’t then it’s a scratch.

Only thing you can do for perfection is replace glass and tint. Otherwise you got to roll with it.

To prevent it. Roll the window down all the way and clean between the felt pieces to make sure there is nothing there

Over here, tinting comes with lifetime warranty*

If it's the same there, have you thought about going back to the retailer/installer and get them to fix the issue (uhm)

*subject to conditions listed on their site

I thought about that, but I doubt they will cover a scratch. They will surely find some way to blame it on my vehicle.

Do you guys roll your windows up and down? No scratches?

I thought about that, but I doubt they will cover a scratch. They will surely find some way to blame it on my vehicle.

No harm in trying

Do you guys roll your windows up and down? No scratches?

Yes and with the past 6, no scratches. Current CX-5 nothing yet but it's only a week old.

I’ve had scratches on my windows and tint before. It’s bound to happen, crap from trees. Dust. Road kick up. Bird crap will all get in there over time and when you roll it down all the way then it’s on both sides. Even windows with non tint are prone to the same scratches.

Sounds like part of every day wear and tear which means it's bound to happen to mine eventually

All good tints Llumar, Suntek, Geo shield etc. Have a scratch resistant layer. I used steel wool on inside window and it scratched my tint. It could be a problem with your door - causing scratches. No good tint should scratch.

All good tints Llumar, Suntek, Geo shield etc. Have a scratch resistant layer. I used steel wool on inside window and it scratched my tint. It could be a problem with your door - causing scratches. No good tint should scratch.

I think I may spend the money and replace my current tint with Llumar CTX tint. They have a video on YouTube of a guy using a scotch brite on it, and there wasnt one scratch afterwards!

Ill have to see what it runs to have the front 2 windows tinted with it. Im sure its not cheap!

I think I may spend the money and replace my current tint with Llumar CTX tint. They have a video on YouTube of a guy using a scotch brite on it, and there wasnt one scratch afterwards!

Ill have to see what it runs to have the front 2 windows tinted with it. Im sure its not cheap!
You can do it yourself. Tintzoom.com sells good ceramic ones. They are precut fis to fit the car.
It will rum about 80 bucks for tools and film. I purchased a set for my Camry. If it goes well I will share the experience.

I picked up a fairly large scratch in my truck and found out the seam was dirty. Somehow the scratch was horizontal but happened from the up and down movement.

So far, almost 3k on this new tint and nothing yet, but it will happen at some point. Even with 3M ceramic, scratches will happen. I am rough on my vehicles and just accept it when it comes.

I picked up a fairly large scratch in my truck and found out the seam was dirty. Somehow the scratch was horizontal but happened from the up and down movement.

So far, almost 3k on this new tint and nothing yet, but it will happen at some point. Even with 3M ceramic, scratches will happen. I am rough on my vehicles and just accept it when it comes.

The reason could be users that keep their windows open fairly often. I do see occasional car with its windows rolled down. I rarely do it once in a blue moon - never had issues with scratches.
However - self tinting side windows is doable - without the need to pre shrink the film. I might find out by weekend if I can get it done myself.
$93 top quality tint ordered from Northern Tint - also the install tool kit and extra applicator liquid which is just soapy water.
I will pay $45 to a pro to install rear large window - its a 15 Camry. Lets see - total of 148 doesnt seem bad.

Hi All!

I have a couple of questions regarding window tint. I currently have a 17 GT. I currently have 20% Johnson film on my front roll downs. While cleaning the windows today, I noticed several isolated scratches on both windows. I don't recall them being there before, however, if something on/in the door was scratching it, I would imagine I would have long vertical scratches? Most of these were horizontal scratches.

Has anyone on this forum had any issues with small (or long) scratches on their tint? What brand tint do you all have? I am really thinking about using a better brand like Llumar, Hyper Optix, etc. Do you guys have any recommendations?

Last, it looks like our window moulding (where the window goes down) is felt, so I am thinking that shouldn't be scratching the windows. I keep my car in pristine condition - both inside and out.

If someone could give me some thoughts, that would be great!

Thanks!

No.

Pinnacle F1 is what I used to use, but the only ceramic in my area was some off-brand something or other, but in 3 years I've had zero issues with it either. Ceramic or don't even bother.

The reason could be users that keep their windows open fairly often. I do see occasional car with its windows rolled down. I rarely do it once in a blue moon - never had issues with scratches.
However - self tinting side windows is doable - without the need to pre shrink the film. I might find out by weekend if I can get it done myself.
$93 top quality tint ordered from Northern Tint - also the install tool kit and extra applicator liquid which is just soapy water.
I will pay $45 to a pro to install rear large window - its a 15 Camry. Lets see - total of 148 doesnt seem bad.

Not bad at all. Check out Tint World in Grapevine. I had them knock out four vehicles for me and I am usually around $250. I think the wife's car in full ceramic was $275 and it came with the warranty. That said, $150 is tempting :D

Back