Battery water and Oil dilution !

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Checked the battery water this morning. Battery has 6 fill caps. Removed a few and looked in, there's water but I'm not sure how much there should be. Should it come up to the top? I added about a 1/4 cup of distilled water but I didn't want to fill to the top. Figured I'd get some expert opinions just in case you can overfill.

Also, checked the oil and noticed the oil on the dipstick has grown since the last time I checked it, about two weeks ago. It's now about 1/4" past the fill mark.
Previous check it was at the fill mark or slightly below. Cannot smell any gas on the dipstick. Car has been sitting for about two hours before I checked.
Oil was changed 2,000 miles ago by the dealer. I check it right afterwards and it was at the full mark.

Is this common?

I haven't looked at my OEM Panasonic battery, is there a "Full" line on the plastic case so that you can have a reference? If not, the guide line is to keep the acid level at least over those lead plates. I would say at the half height between the top of the lead plates and the bottom of the fill hole.

Oil dilution issue on SkyActiv-G seems to happen more in cold climate. It also related to what kind of oil you're using. If it keeps rising I'd go ahead changing the oil earlier.

FUEL DILUTION OF ENGINE OIL: CAUSES AND EFFECTS

Checked the battery water this morning. Battery has 6 fill caps. Removed a few and looked in, there's water but I'm not sure how much there should be. Should it come up to the top? I added about a 1/4 cup of distilled water but I didn't want to fill to the top. Figured I'd get some expert opinions just in case you can overfill.

Also, checked the oil and noticed the oil on the dipstick has grown since the last time I checked it, about two weeks ago. It's now about 1/4" past the fill mark.
Previous check it was at the fill mark or slightly below. Cannot smell any gas on the dipstick. Car has been sitting for about two hours before I checked.
Oil was changed 2,000 miles ago by the dealer. I check it right afterwards and it was at the full mark.

Is this common?

What are your driving patterns? Short trips vs highway.

My battery has a water full line inside each cell. If you overfill much, you may get out gassing leaks. Mazda states to wait at least 5 minutes before checking oil level and that the vehicle must be level. I usually check after 15 minutes or so. Ed

Majority are short trips, less than 10 miles.

Short trips are a major cause of fuel dilution. Many of my trips are short as well but when given the chance I take the long way to get things up to full operating temperature and keep it there for a while. I also run Shell 91 but you could run any brand. There have been favorable comments on decreasing FD with higher octane fuel.

Short trips are a major cause of fuel dilution. Many of my trips are short as well but when given the chance I take the long way to get things up to full operating temperature and keep it there for a while. I also run Shell 91 but you could run any brand. There have been favorable comments on decreasing FD with higher octane fuel.

Can you point me in the direction of that discussion? I'd be interested in reading this.

I also would like to find out about fuel dilution as it relates to octane used. I like data and not rumors. Ed

It doesn't take much fuel dilution for the dipstick to smell strongly of gas. Also, it's a challenge to get an accurate, reproducible oil level reading. Temperature, drain time, flat surface, multiple dipstick readings. So, maybe oil dilution but worth monitoring.

My battery has a water full line inside each cell. If you overfill much, you may get out gassing leaks. Mazda states to wait at least 5 minutes before checking oil level and that the vehicle must be level. I usually check after 15 minutes or so. Ed

I have the OEM battery that came with the vehicle. I checked it this morning and there's no fill line. There's water at the bottom and it covers the bottom of the battery.
I was just trying to figure out if it's low, OK or what. The battery is 3 yrs old and I'll probably replace it in 4 months since I do a lot of short runs. Hate to get stranded with a dead battery since that always happens at the worst time and with the new batteries you usually get no warning. Used to get a week of two of weak cranks before the battery failed.

I have the OEM battery that came with the vehicle. I checked it this morning and there's no fill line. There's water at the bottom and it covers the bottom of the battery.
I was just trying to figure out if it's low, OK or what. The battery is 3 yrs old and I'll probably replace it in 4 months since I do a lot of short runs. Hate to get stranded with a dead battery since that always happens at the worst time and with the new batteries you usually get no warning. Used to get a week of two of weak cranks before the battery failed.

Generally speaking, shouldn’t the water just cover the cells?

Water should cover the cells. Any wet battery that I've had has a plastic protrusion just above the cell tops. That is the maximum water level. ED

Thanks for clarifying that.

Note to OP, do not use tap water. Use distilled water.

I know, I mentioned that I added a little distilled water in my original post. Good to remind everybody again. Gallon of distilled water is about .89 at the supermarket. Use it in the iron also.

Back