Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery water and Oil dilution !

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

Question Battery water and Oil dilution !

Checked the battery water this morning. Battery has 6 fill caps. Removed a few and looked in, there's water but I'm not sure how much there should be. Should it come up to the top? I added about a 1/4 cup of distilled water but I didn't want to fill to the top. Figured I'd get some expert opinions just in case you can overfill.

Also, checked the oil and noticed the oil on the dipstick has grown since the last time I checked it, about two weeks ago. It's now about 1/4" past the fill mark.
    Previous check it was at the fill mark or slightly below. Cannot smell any gas on the dipstick. Car has been sitting for about two hours before I checked.
    Oil was changed 2,000 miles ago by the dealer. I check it right afterwards and it was at the full mark.

Is this common?

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Battery water and Oil dilution !

I haven't looked at my OEM Panasonic battery, is there a "Full" line on the plastic case so that you can have a reference? If not, the guide line is to keep the acid level at least over those lead plates. I would say at the half height between the top of the lead plates and the bottom of the fill hole.

Oil dilution issue on SkyActiv-G seems to happen more in cold climate. It also related to what kind of oil you're using. If it keeps rising I'd go ahead changing the oil earlier.

FUEL DILUTION OF ENGINE OIL: CAUSES AND EFFECTS

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wlong01 View Post
    Checked the battery water this morning. Battery has 6 fill caps. Removed a few and looked in, there's water but I'm not sure how much there should be. Should it come up to the top? I added about a 1/4 cup of distilled water but I didn't want to fill to the top. Figured I'd get some expert opinions just in case you can overfill.

Also, checked the oil and noticed the oil on the dipstick has grown since the last time I checked it, about two weeks ago. It's now about 1/4" past the fill mark.
    Previous check it was at the fill mark or slightly below. Cannot smell any gas on the dipstick. Car has been sitting for about two hours before I checked.
    Oil was changed 2,000 miles ago by the dealer. I check it right afterwards and it was at the full mark.

Is this common?
    What are your driving patterns? Short trips vs highway.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

My battery has a water full line inside each cell. If you overfill much, you may get out gassing leaks. Mazda states to wait at least 5 minutes before checking oil level and that the vehicle must be level. I usually check after 15 minutes or so. Ed

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Puyapim View Post
    What are your driving patterns? Short trips vs highway.
    Majority are short trips, less than 10 miles.

Registered Member

Majority are short trips, less than 10 miles.
    Short trips are a major cause of fuel dilution. Many of my trips are short as well but when given the chance I take the long way to get things up to full operating temperature and keep it there for a while. I also run Shell 91 but you could run any brand. There have been favorable comments on decreasing FD with higher octane fuel.

2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD titanium/black

Short trips are a major cause of fuel dilution. Many of my trips are short as well but when given the chance I take the long way to get things up to full operating temperature and keep it there for a while. I also run Shell 91 but you could run any brand. There have been favorable comments on decreasing FD with higher octane fuel.
    Can you point me in the direction of that discussion? I'd be interested in reading this.
    "Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

I also would like to find out about fuel dilution as it relates to octane used. I like data and not rumors. Ed

Registered Member

2016.5 GT AWD

It doesn't take much fuel dilution for the dipstick to smell strongly of gas. Also, it's a challenge to get an accurate, reproducible oil level reading. Temperature, drain time, flat surface, multiple dipstick readings. So, maybe oil dilution but worth monitoring.

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    My battery has a water full line inside each cell. If you overfill much, you may get out gassing leaks. Mazda states to wait at least 5 minutes before checking oil level and that the vehicle must be level. I usually check after 15 minutes or so. Ed
    I have the OEM battery that came with the vehicle. I checked it this morning and there's no fill line. There's water at the bottom and it covers the bottom of the battery.
    I was just trying to figure out if it's low, OK or what. The battery is 3 yrs old and I'll probably replace it in 4 months since I do a lot of short runs. Hate to get stranded with a dead battery since that always happens at the worst time and with the new batteries you usually get no warning. Used to get a week of two of weak cranks before the battery failed.

Registered Member

I have the OEM battery that came with the vehicle. I checked it this morning and there's no fill line. There's water at the bottom and it covers the bottom of the battery.
    I was just trying to figure out if it's low, OK or what. The battery is 3 yrs old and I'll probably replace it in 4 months since I do a lot of short runs. Hate to get stranded with a dead battery since that always happens at the worst time and with the new batteries you usually get no warning. Used to get a week of two of weak cranks before the battery failed.
    Generally speaking, shouldn’t the water just cover the cells?

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

Generally speaking, shouldn’t the water just cover the cells?
    Don't know, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Water should cover the cells. Any wet battery that I've had has a plastic protrusion just above the cell tops. That is the maximum water level. ED

Registered Member

2016 CX5 Touring AWD

Water should cover the cells. Any wet battery that I've had has a plastic protrusion just above the cell tops. That is the maximum water level. ED
    Thanks, that's what I was trying to find out.

Registered Member

Battery water and Oil dilution !

Thanks for clarifying that.

Note to OP, do not use tap water. Use distilled water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast