Battery Suggestions

A Battery Tender is too small to charge a car battery, esp a dead one, You need a 20A charger for that.

OP: Which battery did you end up getting?
He got Duralast Battery from AutoZone.

Hi All,

Took the Battery to AutoZone, as we have one very close to our house and also decided to give their Top Battery a Try. After having the Battery Tender on
the Battery overnight, it wasn't even charged enough for them to even test it when I got there. I'm sure it might have had some more life to it. But.........
these days and times I don't take chances anymore and the battery had done me well for the time I've had it, and kind of like tires I don't mind spending
to get the more reliable ones.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Alittle late, but when I replace any OEM battery I always go with a Red Top. They are a dry battery and seem to last a lot longer.

I have a boring old 2015 Touring AWD. Any special battery needed, here, or nah? In my beaters in the past, I've always just shoe-horned the highest CCA rated battery I could find into the box that would fit.

I have a boring old 2015 Touring AWD. Any special battery needed, here, or nah? In my beaters in the past, I've always just shoe-horned the highest CCA rated battery I could find into the box that would fit.
Yep. We don't have i-stop on CX-5 here in the US, no special battery is needed. Any Group 35 battery with highest CCA、longest warranty、and lowest price would do.

Is there a general time period for when batteries need replacing?
It really depends. The OEM battery in friends 2003 Lexus LX 470 lasted 13 years and 100,000 miles when he sold it. Generally speaking the OEM battery should lasts about 4 years in hot Texas. Checking the electrolyte levels in the cells and topping them off with distilled water periodically should help to prolong the battery life.

It really depends. The OEM battery in friend*s 2003 Lexus LX 470 lasted 13 years and 100,000 miles when he sold it. Generally speaking the OEM battery should lasts about 4 years in hot Texas. Checking the electrolyte levels in the cells and topping them off with distilled water periodically should help to prolong the battery life.

Going on 5 1/2 years on my CX-5 and so far still good and I've killed the battery a LOT over those years lol.

I knew I should've gotten the Costco battery this past weekend.

Long story short my wife was driving with kid in back when dash lit up light Christmas tree and she claimed was losing power and steering. Pulled over 2 blocks from Autozone. I installed Duralast Gold Group 35 battery. Cost $159. Oh well at least it's a decent battery. 640cc I believe.

1st oem lasted 42k
2nd oem lasted 50k
3rd Duralast Gold at 94k miles

I'll probably top off this thing once every summer.

So my '16 CX-5 sport needs a new battery per my dealer. The car has a start/stop button. Does the vehicle need a special battery from Mazda, or can I just go to Costco and get the Interstate Group 35 battery? Would the Interstate battery work? On Costco's site it says it's compatible.

So my '16 CX-5 sport needs a new battery per my dealer. The car has a start/stop button. Does the vehicle need a special battery from Mazda, or can I just go to Costco and get the Interstate Group 35 battery? Would the Interstate battery work? On Costco's site it says it's compatible.
Push-button start doesn't need a special battery, but i-stop does, but we don't have i-stop here in the US. Just get a Group 35 Interstate battery at Costco that's the most cost-effective way to do. Costco doesn't do installation on battery, and you have to DIY. If you can take old battery in while getting the new one, it'll save you an extra trip to Costco getting the core charge back.

That is the battery I bought and put in. Nothing really special, was just a pain putting the bracket back on.

Hi All,

........................... After having the Battery Tender on
the Battery overnight, it wasn't even charged enough for them to even test it when I got there. ...........................

Thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions.

To best charge a battery, you need a charger with a capacity of C(apacity)/5, or 10 amps for a 50 A-Hr battery. A charger with a capacity of C/2 is not too big as most you can buy have voltage and current controls. A Battery Tender is an excellent way to preserve a charged battery that's unused; I have 2.
They are not big enough to charge a dead car battery.

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to open up your hood and then look at the battery directly. The group size, CCA and other content should be there right on the top.
Will do when the sun comes up! Thank you for you help. I also see 12v-60Ah/20hr or 12v-65Ah/20hr in my booklet. That might be an indication.

Will do when the sun comes up! Thank you for you help. I also see 12v-60Ah/20hr or 12v-65Ah/20hr in my booklet. That might be an indication.

Np! Upon googling that, it says it's group 34. Another way to check would be to find your auto parts site and input your car year and model #. It should spit out the exact battery group type you need. Should give you a head start on researching. Good luck! :)

Hey!! Do you know if the US and Canada is the same model for the 2016 GT??
CX-5 uses Group 35 battery. BCI group battery size is used only in North American market including Canada. You won’t see any “Group 35” wording on factory Japanese Panasonic battery.

9BF2D72A-D98B-4040-9ADA-AB0D7CF92524.jpeg

Back