Battery Suggestions

Panther

Zoomer not a Boomer
Contributor
:
2016 MAZDA CX-5 GT AWD with TECH PKG / i-ActivSense
Hi All,

Just returned from a long trip almost 2 months and my 2016 CX 5 GT AWD that was left at home in the Garage wouldn't start Let me rephrase that, it was completely dead.
I tried to get any signs of life, but nothing, I even tried my Wife's Remote to just double check and nothing. I picked up the car Aug 2015 and it's been garaged
almost every night, the posts looks brand new, no corrosion and are not loose. I even tried using my Battery Tender to charge it and the Red Light just blinked
showing bad connection no matter where I placed the Clamps. So, I am afraid I'm ready for a new battery, this one got a little sluggish during a cold snap and with my
limited driving ( on 20K) just don't want to take the chance on getting stranded anywhere. I did pull it out and saw the fluid levels were high all the way across except
had one small area where it was about 1/2 lower than all the others.

So, I've been looking around and would really appreciate any suggestions or info on a new battery. It get's pretty warm here in Texas and lately even kind of cold and
again with limited driving I'd like to get a good one to help with that.

Thanks and Take Care,

Craig

No. GT with Tech needs a special battery from Mazda.
It has iEloop.

Dealer will charge more than $200 for it.
See if you can find a replacement. Costco won't carry it.

⋯ So, I've been looking around and would really appreciate any suggestions or info on a new battery. It get's pretty warm here in Texas and lately even kind of cold and
again with limited driving I'd like to get a good one to help with that.
Find a Group 35 battery from Cosco that'd be what I do. And no, US CX-5 doesn't have i-ELOOP or i-stop and it requires no special batteries.

Just so you know what you're looking for... it takes a Group 35. There's lots of great options and Costco is perfect. I also found Exide for $80-90 at Home Depot without needing a membership! If you use Advance Auto there's tons of coupons, order online and pickup in store using a coupon so the price is right. Don't forget to retrain your auto power windows after the install.
In all actuality most automotive batteries are about the same. The largest manufacturer of lead acid batteries is Johnson controls Inc. My wife works them, the battery division no less. They have three battery groups, OEM, Aftermarket and hybrid technologies.

Here is the list of brands that Johnson Controls Manufactures:

Interstate
Diehard
Duralast
Kirkland
EverStartt
ProStart
Optima
AutoCraft
AdvanceAuto batteries
Blains farm and fleet
Western Auto
Varta
Bosch
Champion
LTH
LTD

OEM Supplier to these Car Companies as well:
Ford Motor company, Diamler Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and Isuzu

So if you look at two popular batteries, Interstate Mega-tron plus Group 35 and the everstart Maxx group 35 they have the exact same specs, 640 cold cranking amps. They are the exact same battery on the inside, trust me, I've been to the plants and have seen them being made. The difference is one goes into a black box and the other goes inside a white box. The difference is the warranties. Everstart maxx has a 3 year free replacement and then 2 years prorated after that for a total of 5 years. Interstate has a 6 year total warranty with the first 2.5 years being a full replacement, 45% off msrp for the next 1.5 years, 25% off in year five and 10% off new battery for year 6.

Bottom, line get what ever battery you want that is in your market and at the price you want.

Have you tried to jump start your CX-5? I'd try it making sure it's battery problem or may be something else. If the engine starts with a jump-start, try to drive around a bit if you don't have a standard-sized battery charger. Once your battery is fully charged, and you can start the engine for the next several tries, it's possible you don't really need a new battery yet.

Find a Group 35 battery from Cosco that'd be what I do. And no, US CX-5 doesn't have i-ELOOP or i-stop and it requires no special batteries.
My bad. I keep frequenting both forums. Got confused for a second.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much, I appreciate all the info and suggestions.

We're not Costco Members and don't have one nearby but certainly might be worthwhile to check
it out as I know their products are very well tested and reliable.

Hi Ray, I'd tried and tried to get the charger to work on it, and it kept showing bad connection
but when I had taken the battery out of the car and put it directly on the posts it allowed it to start Charging
haven't gone out yet to look to see if it's green If so I think I'm going to go up to my Mechanic and have him check
It out, I don't like how dead this was and plus it's getting near 3 yrs and honestly most batteries don't last too much longer
and I don't want to put myself in a bad situation while on long roadtrips .....I do know that some batteries last much longer
but that's just not been my experience in Texas Heat and plus now being Retired my not driving it that frequently, as sometimes
I don't leave the land for 2-3 days ;-) Ah Retirement !!!

Just went and checked and it didn't take a charge after 10hrs so I'm just going to take it and
get a new battery.

Thanks again everyone, Take Care,

CK

Last edited:
⋯ We're not Costco Members and don't have one nearby but certainly might be worthwhile to check it out as I know their products are very well tested and reliable.
See eyedocorlando's suggestion in my previous post if you're not Costco member. As Ride92 said most batteries are about the same and many are made by Johnson controls Inc. Yeah Costco usually carries good-quality products, and that's why their business is much better than well-established Sam's Club in our area.

Hi Ray, I'd tried and tried to get the charger to work on it, and it kept showing bad connection
From your description your battery seems to have internal open circuitry. I assume you have re-filled low cell with distilled water. These OEM Panasonic batteries usually have good quality. After 3 years and 26K miles mine just got tested by my Mazda dealer during my warranty service and the result is good. A couple of friends in DFW area having 2016(.5) CX-5's are still have OEM batteries. Another who has a 2015 CX-5 in the area also has no issues on his OEM battery.

How many miles do you have on your CX-5? I usually fully charge the battery if it's going to sit there for several months going abroad. Since now your battery is out, you can take it to any auto parts store you prefer to test it making sure it's bad. Or if you have a multi-meter you can measure the voltage and see.

If your battery tender cannot charge the battery, it is probably because the voltage is too low. There are some battery chargers (like the one from Optima) which can resurrect dead batteries from a very low voltage state. I think you just need to charge the battery and get a cheap battery voltage gauge from Amazon. The gauge will tell you if you are slowly losing voltage over time, which means something is draining your battery.

Hi All,

Took the Battery to AutoZone, as we have one very close to our house and also decided to give their Top Battery a Try. After having the Battery Tender on
the Battery overnight, it wasn't even charged enough for them to even test it when I got there. I'm sure it might have had some more life to it. But.........
these days and times I don't take chances anymore and the battery had done me well for the time I've had it, and kind of like tires I don't mind spending
to get the more reliable ones.

Thanks again to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Call me a creature of old habits buts I put a tender on anything that won't be used for a week or more.

Call me a creature of old habits buts I put a tender on anything that won't be used for a week or more.

That's a good plan and advice and already have that on my Travel List of things to do. Thanks !!!

Also make sure that your key fob is not stored somewhere close to the car where the car can sense it. If it is too close, this will keep the car in an active state, and will not allow it to hibernate.

Also make sure that your key fob is not stored somewhere close to the car where the car can sense it. If it is too close, this will keep the car in an active state, and will not allow it to hibernate.

Thanks very much, that's something that I'd not thought of !!!

With the replacement batter make sure it*s equiped with the same type. If it had an AGM type battery the alternator many cars are coded these days for type and capiciity. If you car was equipped with an agm and is replaced with a normal battery it will be getting over charged and will shorten its life. If going away from the OEM battery then ask the battery company about this. If they have no knowledge of this then walk away.

If CX-5 has start stop then battery must be designed to accommodate start-stop

Back