Updating... a few questions.

m4nTiS

:
Mazda CX-5 Optimum 2,5 AWD
2 Weeks ago (six months after ordering the car) we finally got to drive our CX 5.
It's our first Mazda and after driving a Citron C3 Picasso for about 7 years, the new car is definitely an upgrade.
As it is the Optimum version, it has a lot of bells and whistles.
Some our quite obvious, for some others I need to check the manual or for instance this forum.
In short... the car has kept me quite busy the last 2 weeks.

A few days ago I drove along a "new" piece of highway and despite the fact that it has been open for traffic a little over a year now, I saw that this piece of road was not in the navigation yet.
I saw that the latest update of the maps for Europe was from July 2017 so that makes sense, but it also started me to wonder about how to update the map.
I tried to do some research and found some useful stuff, but a few things are still a bit unclear to me.

What I understand from all the research is that I need to download the Mazda toolbox and, if there is an update, I can update the navigation system via an SD card.
That sounds perfectly logical, but I have had a look in the car, found the SD card reader, but there is no card in it.
So that made me wonder: is it a Mazda SD card that you need or could it be just any SD card?
If it needs to be a Mazda SD card... where do I find it? Is it already in the car when you get it from the dealership?
Or what if it can be just any SD card... Does it need to be a certain size (memory-wise)? Does it need to be a completely empty one or is it ok if there is already something on the card?

Why not just find it in the manual or ask the dealership?
Well, 2 reasons.
The first one is that I am originally from Belgium (the Flemish speaking part) and 3 years ago I moved to Sweden.
My "everyday" Swedish has improved drastically over those years, but it's still far from perfect.
As a result, reading the Swedish manual is taking way longer then it would in my native tongue. Especially because it involves a lot of technical and for me not so "everyday" terms.
Second reason is the dealership itself.
The guy who sold us the car 6 months ago, turned out to be a bit of a nitwit. A long story that I might tell some other time, but let's just say he is no longer working there.
The person who is our contact at the dealership now seems to be doing a better job, but my trust in them is not exactly a 100% at the moment.
So before I turn to him with my question(s), I wanted to see if anyone here could help me out a bit.

Already many thanks!

Last edited:
The card should be in the car if you purchased the Navigation system. If you didn't purchase it, then yes, they leave it out.
You can buy the card from the dealer or eBay I believe, but you cannot *initially* use just any SD card. I say initially because once you have an OEM card, you can back that up to another SD card (which I did), but Toolbox will not recognize a non-OEM card off the bat.

I don't understand how you could use navigation without an SD card.

They system will only allow maps on mazda sd cards, and if no sd card, then your system will basically show a blank navigation screen - just a compass usually.

From a fellow European.

Yes the card should be there & under that little flap in the arm rest/console beside the USB slots. If not then the dealer is remiss as should have picked it up on the PDI inspection as well as demonstrate the functions.

You cannot get away with using any old SD card needs to be the one specific to your VIN number, and assuming the car was supplied by a dealership, they need to sort it.

It has nav... then it should have a nav card. Are you sure it's not there? You have to open a little plastic door and it should be behind that. I don't understand how this could work without a card. Unless Sweden somehow got a CX-5 with a hard drive?!?

It has nav... then it should have a nav card. Are you sure it's not there? You have to open a little plastic door and it should be behind that. I don't understand how this could work without a card. Unless Sweden somehow got a CX-5 with a hard drive?!?

Ok, I feel a bit stupid now...
When I looked at it the other day, I did see the place where the SD card should be and I tried feeling around a bit but did not know it was under a little plastic door and you could actually remove it.
So now I just went to the car, removed the plastic cover and TADAAAAA! There was the SD card!

If not then the dealer is remiss as should have picked it up on the PDI inspection as well as demonstrate the functions.

Well, he demonstrated some functions, but I picked the car up on a Friday afternoon and I guess he was really looking forward to the weekend (rolleyes)

Got an extra question now as I just tested something else with the navigation.
But I guess I will try look it up myself first before I ask another stupid question (rlaugh)

Anyway... big thanks for the help!!

Make sure you enable the 1touch blinker option. I think its disabled by default but its so useful

Didn't see anyone do that eiter. Actually thought you all helped me really well. Big thanks for that!

Also wanted to know I did the toolbox thing, connected the SD card, checked for updates, downloaded the update and put the SD card back in the car.
It all seemed to be working fine! :)
Haven't checked yet to see if the new road I mentioned earlier is in the newest update. Will probably do that later this week.
But... in doing all this I also found the answer to that other question I talked about. (cabpatch)

Make sure you enable the 1touch blinker option. I think it’s disabled by default but it’s so useful

I guess that was actually one of the first things I tested when I got the car.
My Citron had it and as you say... pretty useful!

Perhaps you can find the owner's manual in Flemish on the web?
Your English seems fine. You can find a nice visual/English manual here.

Hi,
I am from Sweden too. Wellcome to the forum. I updated my navigation card via tool box recently and find that some of the newer Swedish roads are not shown. So don't worry. Nice thing about buying this car here is that it comes with 10 years of guarantee. The dealers in Sweden are generally very good. Your seems to be an exception. There are instruction manuals in English in the internet. Just Google for them. Ask your dealer for a English one and he might be able to help you. I had a similar experience 30 years ago when I came to Sweden and my Toyota dealer then ordered an English manual for my corolla.

Perhaps you can find the owner's manual in Flemish on the web?
Your English seems fine. You can find a nice visual/English manual here.

Thanks for the link!
I like reading the Swedish one as it helps me learning the language... it's just that it is taking me forever at the moment to translate the more technical terms.
So that English manual is just perfect!

Hi,
I am from Sweden too. Wellcome to the forum. I updated my navigation card via tool box recently and find that some of the newer Swedish roads are not shown. So don't worry. Nice thing about buying this car here is that it comes with 10 years of guarantee. The dealers in Sweden are generally very good. Your seems to be an exception. There are instruction manuals in English in the internet. Just Google for them. Ask your dealer for a English one and he might be able to help you. I had a similar experience 30 years ago when I came to Sweden and my Toyota dealer then ordered an English manual for my corolla.

Hej hej!
Trevligt att trffas. ;)
The new road is here just outside of Karlstad and since I live pretty close it is totally no problem as I know my way around here.
It was just that we will be heading to Pajala during the summer and it would be nice to not run in to some unexpected surprises. :)

We bought the car on our company and we are leasing it for 3 years, so don't know if we really need the 10 years guarantee, but it is indeed a nice little extra.
Concerning the dealership.. The current contact person seems to be a nice guy. I guess we just had bad luck with the previous guy.
Going to try the English manual from Shadonoz. If it still is not completely clear I will surely be contacting the dealership ;)

Back