Dash gas MPG reading

:
Mitishi Outlander
I have a 16 awd GT with 19k on it . The computer readout on the dash never seems change much , it always sits around 23 mpg . It may go up a tenth but that is about it after driving over 100 miles on highway . I think 23 mpg is low for this unit so I did a fill up and drove about 200 miles .I refilled the tank to the shut off and divided miles by gallons . I assume this is the only way to get a true reading . It said that I got 28mpg instead of the dash report of 23.1. Do others notice the same thing?? Thanks for input.

I have a 16 awd GT with 19k on it . The computer readout on the dash never seems change much , it always sits around 23 mpg . It may go up a tenth but that is about it after driving over 100 miles on highway . I think 23 mpg is low for this unit so I did a fill up and drove about 200 miles .I refilled the tank to the shut off and divided miles by gallons . I assume this is the only way to get a true reading . It said that I got 28mpg instead of the dash report of 23.1. Do others notice the same thing?? Thanks for input.

if you never have reset your trip counter it might think of the overall average since mile 1. I started doing the mpg tracking by hand via fuelly app and its more accurate then a computer formula.

My 3 fuels ups last have been about a 1.3 mpg less in reality then what the car's computer shows me.

In your Applications Fuel Economy option > See the bottom graph. If you dont see multiple bars - it means you do not reset your mpg. I reset mine at every fill up. It looks like this :D

KAJ7m-cIFk-p8ZBaJxQD-jOAytO4lAMeFlqwrr67WKNHE1Ilz06VraX41lDXf9TbMmKFSMlIAN1zuOec-7Yi4iQb1RObjvsV7q6dRmdxNn_-qg6uAX-hnsg3hrqQANoonV_klVLWbrM_B8-kfS07YxJPvk0hHrOrWj7eO8hzc3HcNanG3NBWlvXUbtIAy6zuYOVab3jkjUtLo6reim4TJb7EoEx7Vg-ejnr2WgusLfDQNSSEiI8D5owkh0lDlXBVcZy3p93l_PlEQDUSAowRiY32JIC5q07ksNirTXkFZGOoQ7h_020LrvBw_xzQAi__TP1D2-me_Dw5MqUDuvbYRnYmHoTmOWavvD09vNuJJaUJQ_oCrCeQKZ74RnWFE3KSYo4kZpyTfmz329RfFs1_Zg_lMEBVZcoYr5osFntaEPmybo-H0LjQN3TDbVUrzOEQ9rP-UZHJQIbjObyBOHZCJ3SKUqiuKRwP5nOqsGGmwC0bubAkGD7r5kHsSm6UoH5Ac00wdewP8BcprDEHdgrGTHzcoVoM-vjIAj0Pqs0WbHCFFJc1pIvC9LS-LjnERPQe1pw6HycUX0J1RsHRqW10GgBT142iRYt5O5f4gbunZRU8p88bnBDuBdVhVpdHWDLonIGEioJ-R1E4qV66IerfWBmVNtq4FYfW=w1718-h966-no

Reset it at each fill up and you should find that the computer is very close to doing the numbers manually. In my case it’s within 2-3 tenths which is likely within a margin of error.

Your AWD will get slightly less MPG then the FWD models... yours is about the same as my 16 GT AWD, average to - from work 27mpg.. . Though if you do 65 or at least under 70-75 you’ll get up to 33 on a smooth flat drive.. best I ever got was a easy drive @55-60mph and got 34 mpg

Both my UK diesel read outs showed 2.5 to 2.6mpg uk high, very inaccurate, maybe the US doesn't allow the same sort of deception. There are plenty of UK drivers who actually believe what the average shows.

I monitor my fuel consumption via Fuelly and it always gives a worse (i.e. accurate) fuel consumption figure than the average stated on the dash.

If you don't reset it it will calculate your MPG based on the 19k, that's why it doesn't move. When you fillup reset it, then it will calculate based on your actual MPG for that tankful.

I monitor my fuel consumption via Fuelly and it always gives a worse (i.e. accurate) fuel consumption figure than the average stated on the dash.

For me it is the opposite. I usually get upto 1.5 mpg more than real world. Still I have not hit 30 consistently per tank - 29 more often and 28 is almost a given unless its a bad couple of weeks. I take an uphill bend and did not have any cars and I zoom zoomed - it costed me 2 mpg for the morning drive. I got 33.6 instead 35.X - for the trip.
The difference in real world and dash mpg - is that Dash mpg is based on certain calculations. It is not based on fuel weight or any metric. It will vary based on Driving Style. For some it could be worse and for some it could be better. I think mine averages .5 more in real world than dash - but real world is subject to variations etc even when using the same pump.

I have monitored over 100,000 miles on Fuelly and my car monitor is generally very, very close to the hand calculated version. I fill up the exact same way every time. The best way to compare is not with one tank but two. If you do that, you will find the car monitor and your actual fill numbers come out pretty close.

I'm a little confused on the resetting. There are two trip computers, each with their average mileage. Do you reset one or both each time you fill up?

Press and hold the trip reset upper right side instrument cluster, hold while on 'trip A' and that should reset to 0.00 also it will reset the computer, then quick press the trip again to view 'trip B' and hold to reset that too, (if you want).. 'Trip A' is/should be linked to the computer for average MPG.. (home, then to the left to Applications, then down one to Fuel average as seen above on KAPS's post #5) If you also toggle the 'info' on the steering wheel, and see your average speed, press and hold the center of the 'Info' toggle on the steering wheel, and it will reset your average speed as well..

I'm a little confused on the resetting. There are two trip computers, each with their average mileage. Do you reset one or both each time you fill up?

Somewhere in the setting, I don't remember exactly where, you can set it so that the mpg resets when you reset for Trip A. Most folks reset Trip A after e full tank so they get a reading based on each tank usage.

Over 40,670 miles with 148 fill ups, gas average from dash is 28.70. Average from pump is 28.40. Conclusion is that the difference is inconsequential. Main difference is probably variance at the pump.

Over 40,670 miles with 148 fill ups, gas average from dash is 28.70. Average from pump is 28.40. Conclusion is that the difference is inconsequential. Main difference is probably variance at the pump.

I would say that is well within the margin of error. That’s very similar to my experience as well the only difference is I have far less miles than you.

Somewhere in the setting, I don't remember exactly where, you can set it so that the mpg resets when you reset for Trip A. Most folks reset Trip A after e full tank so they get a reading based on each tank usage.

Thanks! I've been using trip A since I got my car and trip B for each fillup for some reason. I will be changing that next fillup so I can get that cool graph working!

Thanks! I've been using trip A since I got my car and trip B for each fillup for some reason. I will be changing that next fillup so I can get that cool graph working!
I reset Trip B for each fill-up too and don't use Trip-A reset synchronization feature which can be set in setup menu of Fuel Economy Monitor.

Back