"Engine Stalled" message

keegs

:
Madza CX-5 2015 Revolution 2.5
Hi all

I've just bought a second hand CX-5 and while most things are great it's got one strange issue: sometimes I drive the car, come to a stop, put the automatic transmission into P/Park, put the electric hand brake on and then open the drivers door, the engine stops and the dash says "Engine Stalled".

That's it. Is this normal? I can't find any hits for these words on this site or on Google.

It's a 2015 model (I think USA 2016? Without the TomTom nav), premium trim model (here they call it "Revolution" - with leather seats etc), the 6 speed automatic transmission and the 2.5 liter petrol engine with 26,000 miles on it. I'm located in Switzerland.

Thanks in advance.

Keegs

Last edited:
If the engine is stopped by Istop and you open the door while it’s still in drive it will display that message. It’s basically warning you that the car was not secure when the engine was stopped.

If the engine is stopped by Istop and you open the door while it’s still in drive it will display that message. It’s basically warning you that the car was not secure when the engine was stopped.
Thanks. Sounds like it then. Strange through that the words aren't mentioned anywhere in the manual though. I didn't think it happened every time, so I'll check it again and see.

Thanks. I've seen that one, but his engine stalls when he is driving. Very very different..

Most people here in this forum have US CX-5 without i-stop experience. With only 26,000 miles (km?) your CX-5 shouldn't have such problem unless i-stop stopped the engine like Anchorman said. You can try to disable the i-stop and doing the same sequence and see if your engine stops and "Engine Stalled" displayed.

I tested it out earlier, the behaviour isn't easily reproducible - I did the same steps from the first post, and it doesn't always happen. I'm fairly certain what Anchorman reported isn't correct. The car doesn't normally display this when you open the door etc.

I've only had it for a week and it's only happened twice - once at the gas station and once after parking it at home and then briefly getting out of the car to check that it was parked correctly within the lines.

As above, the message "Engine Stalled" doesn't appear in the owner manual or the workshop manual.

I guess I'll wait untit it happens again, take a photo.. and just see. It has Madza warranty still. Is it worth mentioning to Mazda yet?

I tested it out earlier, the behaviour isn't easily reproducible - I did the same steps from the first post, and it doesn't always happen. I'm fairly certain what Anchorman reported isn't correct. The car doesn't normally display this when you open the door etc.

I've only had it for a week and it's only happened twice - once at the gas station and once after parking it at home and then briefly getting out of the car to check that it was parked correctly within the lines.

As above, the message "Engine Stalled" doesn't appear in the owner manual or the workshop manual.

I guess I'll wait untit it happens again, take a photo.. and just see. It has Madza warranty still. Is it worth mentioning to Mazda yet?
If the problem is intermittent it'd be hard to duplicate. I'd still mention it to your Mazda dealer to make an official record for warranty purpose just in case the engine-stall problem is getting worse. Who knows may be your dealer knows what's going on and is able to fix it for you under warranty. :)d

This is why I'm wary of EVERY used car. I don't want to purchase someone else's unsolvable and/or weird problems.
Of course they don't all have problems, and some can be a great deal, but you just never know what you're buying. At least buying new you've got a warranty.

This is why I'm wary of EVERY used car. I don't want to purchase someone else's unsolvable and/or weird problems.
Of course they don't all have problems, and some can be a great deal, but you just never know what you're buying. At least buying new you've got a warranty.

Exactly. Back when society was a bit more honest it was a crapshoot then. Nowadays it’s more about making the sale rather than being honest. It’s sad to say that but it’s true.

Even way back in the early 80’s there were news reports of volcano ash affected cars from the Mt. St. Helens eruption being transported and sold on the east coast and south to unsuspecting buyers. Today there are literally thousands of flood cars on dealers lots from the Florida and Texas flooding a year ago.

The sign says “As Is”. It should be in red.

Back