Just bought 2018 CX-5 GT w/premiu pkg - Beware of dealer installed hitch!

LOL whoever did that was not having a good day and took it out on your car! May want to check that they didn't just duct tape the hitch to the frame, too.

images

Run from this dealership as fast as you can! And never, never take your CX5 there for any type of work

⋯ The dealer is open to whatever I want to fix the issue.

attachment.php
That's really a jaw-dropping work by a Mazda dealer!

If your dealer really wants to resolve the issue, ask them to pull a rear bumper cover from another new CX-5 with the same color and swap it for you. Of course they can keep that OEM hitch and you should pursue an aftermarket option without any bumper cutting. The second option would be that rear bumper trim with hitch KB8W-V3-300 option if that is doable.

Hi yrwei52,

Great suggestion, swap out the bumper from another white cx-5 on the lot.

In response to another poster, I inspected the car but only to be sure that the hitch had been installed. Did not bend over to see hole, which I should have done.

I called Mazda Customer support and they are mortified. The rep actually said that they may ship a fully painted bumper from Japan if that is what it takes. They will be calling the dealership and working with them for a solution.

So far I am thinking of these options:
1. A factory painted bumper, from an existing cx-5 on the lot or one from the Japanese factory.
2. Then put my own hitch on and get some type of reimbursement from dealership.
3. Put the Garnish Stainless steel bumper guard on, which is a standard option that cleans up the hole, i.e. Covers the bad job.

Frankly the whole thing sucks.
Rather not identify the dealership and give them a chance for redemption.

Tom

Last edited:
First, your title is wrong. That has nothing to do with Mazda or their dealer installed hitch.

Either this is a fake post or that dealer has the absolutely worst mechanic.

Yup, it's real......title is correct and a legit warning to buyers.

First, your title is wrong. That has nothing to do with Mazda or their dealer installed hitch.

Either this is a fake post or that dealer has the absolutely worst mechanic.

I have no reason to post fake stuff. This is hard to believe but true. My purpose here is to warn others and hear suggestions as to what the solution(s) might be. The dealer used the wrong template and did a horrible job cutting the bumper. Should never have been delivered like this. The service department head told me that he was upset that his guy did it this way. Of course I asked him why he approved the delivery! This A big dealership in our area.

My main point is that buyers should be aware that the OEM hitch requires a cutout and some dealers are not aware of the proper way to do this. Customers should be made aware of this before the installation. I added a picture from Mazda Customer care that shows the proper hole template/cutout.

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_2895.PNG
    IMG_2895.PNG
    238.1 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Just get them to take off a bumper from another new CX-5, get them to do the cut out properly and put it on your CX-5

Who in there right mind at that dealership would remotely think this was acceptable... glad you showed this to the Mazda (the corporate office). “This is your dealers workmanship...”. Wow...!,!

I am glad to hear that the dealer is going to do what you want. Remove the hitch, brand new rear bumper and get a hitch installed from a different place.

Anyone in his area know of a good place so he can get it done right...?

Last edited:
Just get them to take off a bumper from another new CX-5, get them to do the cut out properly and put it on your CX-5

This would be the best solution in my opinion. Waiting for a bumper from Japan will take a long time.

The fact that this dealer presented the new car to you in this shape makes me really wonder. They should have admitted right up front that the job was screwed up and try another avenue if possible.

I do hope this is not a faked incident. Sadly the internet is full of varmints trying to sway opinions or trust. Having a picture with the whole rear of the car might be helpful here if the OP is truthful.

Sadly the internet is full of varmints trying to sway opinions or trust.

That is true, but doubting the OP of this post seems misplaced to me. "Why" would he be dishonest about this? "What" would he be trying to accomplish?

Here's an alternative explanation. The dealer said they used the wrong template. I don't know but I'm guessing that the hitch that template belongs to uses a surround that covers the mess. The guys in the shop are under tremendous pressure to work fast, so the guy was sloppy. And you know the guy they gave the job to wasn't one of their best mechanics-- probably a grunt. He thought it would be covered and wouldn't matter.

There's no excuse for that kind of work, but it's a possible explanation.

If it were mine, I'd insist on the new bumper from another car at the dealership. That's the best outcome for you, and the dealership can deal with the inconvenience of waiting for a new part from Japan. Then, don't ever return to that dealer if possible.

Hi yrwei52,

Great suggestion, swap out the bumper from another white cx-5 on the lot.

In response to another poster, I inspected the car but only to be sure that the hitch had been installed. Did not bend over to see hole, which I should have done.

I called Mazda Customer support and they are mortified. The rep actually said that they may ship a fully painted bumper from Japan if that is what it takes. They will be calling the dealership and working with them for a solution.

So far I am thinking of these options:
1. A factory painted bumper, from an existing cx-5 on the lot or one from the Japanese factory.
2. Then put my own hitch on and get some type of reimbursement from dealership.
3. Put the Garnish Stainless steel bumper guard on, which is a standard option that cleans up the hole, i.e. Covers the bad job.

Frankly the whole thing sucks.
Rather not identify the dealership and give them a chance for redemption.

Tom

So get them to cut the hole in the bumper in japan before they ship it then if you really want to go that route. But a locally painted bumper is more likely to match and the paint is likely thicker too.

I can't believe they gave the car back to you. That is more then the wrong template - there are saw marks all over the place

The instructions for the install are posted online and quite clear - I am not sure what the dealer did or why.

That is true, but doubting the OP of this post seems misplaced to me. "Why" would he be dishonest about this? "What" would he be trying to accomplish?

Here's an alternative explanation. The dealer said they used the wrong template. I don't know but I'm guessing that the hitch that template belongs to uses a surround that covers the mess. The guys in the shop are under tremendous pressure to work fast, so the guy was sloppy. And you know the guy they gave the job to wasn't one of their best mechanics-- probably a grunt. He thought it would be covered and wouldn't matter.

There's no excuse for that kind of work, but it's a possible explanation.

If it were mine, I'd insist on the new bumper from another car at the dealership. That's the best outcome for you, and the dealership can deal with the inconvenience of waiting for a new part from Japan. Then, don't ever return to that dealer if possible.

Another explanation - the tech/mechanic who did this had no clue and was not being supervised

Ok

FYI - this is our official accessory for towing:

2ni8x6q.jpg

You can get different aftermarket types here which including a cut out of the bumper

Last edited:
One poster suggested that I take a picture of the back of my CX-5 to legitimize my original post. Will do that tomorrow and block out my plate. Raining today.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is not a fake post.

I really want to avoid swapping out the bumper. Leaning towards the Guarnish Stainless steel rear bumper part with the hitch hole already cut out.

Tom

One poster suggested that I take a picture of the back of my CX-5 to legitimize my original post. Will do that tomorrow and block out my plate. Raining today.

Like I mentioned earlier, this is not a fake post.

I really want to avoid swapping out the bumper. Leaning towards the Guarnish Stainless steel rear bumper part with the hitch hole already cut out.

Tom

I do apologize if my comment insinuated that you were posting fake info. That was not my intent but my wording may have not conveyed that properly.

If they do install this trim as you mention, how will it be supported from behind? That’s a big cut out. The usual Mazda installation involves some trim but that is to cover the cut edge and make it look finished.

No problem puyapim. I totally agree that there are those who complain about everything. The responses here have been helpful to me and I have a clearer idea as to what needs to be done. As I reported earlier, Mazda Customer Care in CA was excellent. The Garnish part covers a large part of the bumper and will pretty up the hole while protecting the bumper. Probabaly best solution to put it to bed. Hopefully my posts will alert others to ask the dealer how their hitch will look once installed.

Tom

Back