Just bought 2018 CX-5 GT w/premiu pkg - Beware of dealer installed hitch!

That's ok "driver 1." I am finding this sadly hilarious myself! There are many other things more important in life than this but man it is aggravating!

Tom

Last edited:
Yes, thanks for posting this! That is what I expected. Mazda corporate admitted that this is not what the installs look like now. The new ones require a cuttout like the template I posted earlier.

Hey gce,

Could you let us know where you found this picture? I was told by the dealer that the picture shows a 2016 and earlier installation.
There clearly is some confusion out by Mazda, what they show online, and the dealers as to how to properly install an OEM hitch and what the customer should expect.

Tom

Found it. Right from the Mazda USA accessories site:

Does not look like mine.......

Attachments

• IMG_2905.JPG
    IMG_2905.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 304
Wow... I thought that picture was actually a joke. I'm speechless... just a reminder keep doing auto things myself.

OP - talk to the dealer principal (owner) personally to get all options on getting it fixed asap

Thanks alpha dog.
Looked everywhere for this, could not find the install manual. Dealer will be getting a copy.
My hitch looks identical to this one and they told me it was a class II, which I asked for.

And thanks to everyone who responded. Never experienced a mess up like this before. It will be resolved but I wonder how many other people just accepted this dealers work without questioning it. They claim they have installed many hitches. They did not say they installed them correctly!

Tom

Thanks alpha dog.
Looked everywhere for this, could not find the install manual. Dealer will be getting a copy.
My hitch looks identical to this one and they told me it was a class II, which I asked for.

And thanks to everyone who responded. Never experienced a mess up like this before. It will be resolved but I wonder how many other people just accepted this dealers work without questioning it. They claim they have installed many hitches. They did not say they installed them correctly!

Tom

I know I wouldn't.

I gave mine a thorough inspection when I picked it up last week.

Accessories added were tinted windows, cargo illumination, carpet mats and slimeline weathershields (rain guards)

The cargo illumination required adding the led lights to the side walls of the boot.

Thanks alpha dog.

Tom

Maybe that's the problem, CX-5 OEM is a class 1 not a class 2. I think the CX-9 has an OEM class 2.

I think that there is a cutout on the CX-9 Class II installation. The picture shows the hitch high up close to the crease in the bumper. I requested that a Class II be put on my CX-5, which most likely resulted in a cutout although the Mazda installation guide shows a similar installation with cutout for the Class I but with a much smaller hole than mine. See attached photo.

I do have a question for the readers of this thread.

If I have the bumper was replaced would it require the dealer to report this as a repair, which would be public and be seen by Carfax, etc.?

Attachments

• IMG_2906.PNG
    IMG_2906.PNG
    92.5 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_2907.PNG
    IMG_2907.PNG
    130.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
I think that there is a cutout on the CX-9 Class II installation. The picture shows the hitch high up close to the crease in the bumper. I requested that a Class II be put on my CX-5, which most likely resulted in a cutout although the Mazda installation guide shows a similar installation with cutout for the Class I but with a much smaller hole than mine. See attached photo.

If I have the bumper was replaced would it require the dealer to report this as a repair, which would be public and be seen by Carfax, etc.?

They should own up and say they stuffed up so you don't get penalised.

I doubt it would get reported, especially since it wasn't the result of an accident.

As far as I know, there is no OEM class 2 hitch for your car. all the aftermarket hitches i have seen for the CX-5, sit below the bumper and don't require a cutout. Even the CX-9 cutout would not be a giant hole like on yours.

Looking at the cuts made on your bumper, even if they had the wrong template, the person went way outside the lines - you have cuts outside the hole. I would give up trying to figure out what happened here.

As for Carfax reports, that is usually when something is done via insurance. Cars have repairs done by dealers before they are sold that never make it onto carfax (bumpers and doors painted). A bumper cover replacement should not make it into a carfax listing. If it did, then your hitch install would too - they did removed your bumper cover once and modify it, so no less work then painting a new one.

Back