Just bought 2018 CX-5 GT w/premiu pkg - Beware of dealer installed hitch!

Just got my hitch installed by the dealer on Friday. They appear to have done good work. I showed this horror story to Teh tech rep and he said that was terrible and they too would have replaced the bumper. Here are some pictures.

74bdf9e5d89e648966b89d2f78adba82.jpg

cd6195f4484fc2eb5f083ddac941cda6.jpg

I thought there was a small trim to cover that cut edge?

There certainly should be, even if Mazda and/or the dealer don't think so.

He should use black door edge guard and cut it to size. It's better than what's there. Under no circumstances should a new car look "cut" in any way.

Looks good and agree that it should be finished with something.

Will post the final install soon.

Thanks!

Tom

IMG_2960.JPG

Final install of Garnish piece. Glad this is over and hope it helped others before the OEM hitch installation.

Tom

Nope - actually happened. Some incompetent mechanics/technicians out there I'm afraid

One of the reasons I don't let anyone touch my rig for anything more than a warranty repair. Even someone not mechanically minded stands a strong chance of doing work to factory spec over someone with no interest in your vehicle other than a paycheck..... just take a long methodical approach to the work and 99% of the time you will be fine. Confidence builds the more self-work you do.

One of the reasons I don't let anyone touch my rig for anything more than a warranty repair. Even someone not mechanically minded stands a strong chance of doing work to factory spec over someone with no interest in your vehicle other than a paycheck..... just take a long methodical approach to the work and 99% of the time you will be fine. Confidence builds the more self-work you do.

+1

Oh my ******* God!!! Not only is the hole huge and strangely shaped, it is so ragged and damaged. I would cry if that was my car some butcher ruined.

I would have them replace the bumber, take off the crappy Hitch and give you your money back. Then go somewhere else to get a hitch that does not require your bumber to be Cut. I got one installed on my 2018 CX-5 and they did NOT cut the bumber.

I would have them replace the bumber, take off the crappy Hitch and give you your money back. Then go somewhere else to get a hitch that does not require your bumber to be Cut. I got one installed on my 2018 CX-5 and they did NOT cut the bumber.

That is exactly what I would have done. Would have had them take off that ugly hitch, get a factory fresh bumper of the same color and gotten my money back.

Wow that is seriously awful. Pardon me if I missed any details, I only skimmed through. If I was OP I would have lost my s***. Not only would the dealership be paying to replace the bumper cover, I would want some of my money back and I'd still be reporting the incident to Mazda NA Headquarters. I've previously mentioned I work at a Ford dealership in the service department and I've seen some questionable work, but I've never seen anything on this level. We would never return a customer's vehicle to them like that and whoever cut that bumper would be canned on the spot. It literally looks like Stevie Wonder cut it with a chainsaw.

View attachment 219189

Final install of Garnish piece. Glad this is over and hope it helped others before the OEM hitch installation.

Tom

thank goodness!
it looks sooo much better with the rear bumper trim,
i think all cx-5's should have this bumper trim.
and for you, it definitely covers up that frankenstein of a job!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that banged up hole! Looks like the dealer just gave the job to the apprentice. The OEM hitch installed in Australia looks completely different.
Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCytILChc0
Does anyone know where I can find an aftermarket CX-5 KF tow bar tongue that would be compatible with the OEM hitch. Mazda is asking $600 for the tongue alone!

Last edited:
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that banged up hole! Looks like the dealer just gave the job to the apprentice. The OEM hitch installed in Australia looks completely different.
Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHCytILChc0
Does anyone know where I can find an aftermarket CX-5 KF tow bar tongue that would be compatible with the OEM hitch. Mazda is asking $600 for the tongue alone!

That hitch style is common in EU - definitely looks nicer then the USA models if you don't need the receiver style we have here.

Back