Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Couple of questions.

I'm at 68.5k miles now. Should I look at getting an alignment done now that I am getting a new set of tires? I got my current set back at 18.5k miles. Any suggestions on where to get that done?

And with these H-speed RT43's, what is a good PSI for it? I want to be sure to tell DT to air them up to whatever that should be. 17-inch tires, btw.

I would not get one, if the car does not pull to one side, or steering wheel is straight.
I need one, since I have hit the side curb and my steering wheel is off. That is the result, of to much fun.(drive2)
I know I was complaining about my two front tires, that I have got not to long ago(Nitto Motivo) been noisy, but they are OK now, after a few thousand miles.
The rubber compound is harder, to be able to last longer. It is a 60k tire.

Last edited:
Seems to still track straight, so thank you for the input. I will forgo an alignment. :)

Yea you only need an alignment if it’s out so no pulling or unusual tire wear no issue imo.

As for PSI just use the pressure noted on the placard inside the drives door frame.

Couple of questions.

I'm at 68.5k miles now. Should I look at getting an alignment done now that I am getting a new set of tires? I got my current set back at 18.5k miles. Any suggestions on where to get that done?

And with these H-speed RT43's, what is a good PSI for it? I want to be sure to tell DT to air them up to whatever that should be. 17-inch tires, btw.
Like tibimakai said, you don't really need an alignment if the car doesn't pull to one side, or steering wheel is straight (centered). Or you can check the wear pattern on your previous Michelins and make a decision. But they ran 50,000 miles which seems to indicate your alignment is fine. Some alignment shops would do free alignment check, and won't charge you if the machine shows the alignment is within the specs. I may use Brake Plus in our area but do check on reviews.

Although the factory recommended tire pressure for 225/65R17 is 34 psi, I'd use 38 psi initially if I were you. It's easier to release the pressure afterwards if you feel the ride is too firm.

Like tibimakai said, you don't really need an alignment if the car doesn't pull to one side, or steering wheel is straight (centered). Or you can check the wear pattern on your previous Michelins and make a decision. But they ran 50,000 miles which seems to indicate your alignment is fine. Some alignment shops would do free alignment check, and won't charge you if the machine shows the alignment is within the specs. I may use Brake Plus in our area but do check on reviews.

Although the factory recommended tire pressure for 225/65R17 is 34 psi, I'd use 38 psi initially if I were you. It's easier to release the pressure afterwards if you feel the ride is too firm.

Perfect, thanks yrwei. I use 36 PSI on my Michelins currently.

Wasn't sure if the RT43's with a max PSI of 51 necessitated a higher PSI or not.

No the max doesn’t change what you’re going to use. It’s just the max the tire supports. Personally I think 38 is very high. Basically you’re trying to optimize the contact patch. So unless you’re at max load going that high over what Mazda has recommended for essentially an average load would quite likely result in worse grip due to a smaller contact patch and potential center wear.

Now there are some advantages to higher pressure like improved steering responsiveness and I’m assuming the this is why you were running at 36. Given you were happy with that and didn’t experience any wear issues I’d honestly just say stick with that pressure.

I’d start with 36 again. 38 isn’t “very high” at all. Far from it. I run 38 on my Generals,and 36 on the CX-5 stockers.

Wasn't sure if the RT43's with a max PSI of 51 necessitated a higher PSI or not.
That's my point. I do believe with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure, which is also the pressure for the maximum load, (although some say the maximum load happens only at 35 psi, not at the maximum inflation pressure), hence RT43 may need a little higher tire pressure to handle the weight on CX-5.

Here is the specs directly from Michelin Premier LTX which clearly shows maximum load is rated at its maximum inflation pressure which is 44 psi:

attachment.php

View attachment 219421

And NelsonLewis uses 2 extra psi on his RT43 than his OEM that speaks characteristics of a little softer RT43 tires that requires a little higher tire pressure for CX-5. Yes 38 psi is not high for our CX-5 if you see different tire pressure recommendations for different loads (or even different speeds) in other countries:

attachment.php

View attachment 219422

Last edited:

Got aprox 37 in the RT43's. BTW I still have the white lube stuff on the side wall.

I think you’re not understanding that correctly. You’re somehow overthinking AND over simplifying this at the same time.

From Tire Rack:

A tire’s maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry. Since a tires’s load carrying capacity is related to the tires size and how much inflation pressure is actually used, maximum loads are rated with the tire inflated to an industry assigned inflation pressure.

Additionally, load ranges are used to separate tires that share the same physical size, but differ in strength due to their internal construction. “Higher” load ranges are used to identify tires that have a stronger internal construction, and therefore can hold more air pressure and carry more weight.

Each load range has an assigned air pressure identified in pounds per square inch (psi) at which the tire’s maximum load is rated. Listed bellow are the air pressures at which maximum load is rated for popular P-metric and LT tires:

I’ll just list the relevant ones for the CX-5 which are P-Metric SL and XL.

SL is Standard Load and is rated at 35 psi (240 kPa)
XL is Extra Load and is rated at 41 psi (280KPa)

You could go to Tirerack and just search for load rating and find it.

This is as simple as your replacement tire needs to be:

1. The correct size
2. Have equivalent or better load rating
3. Have equivalent or better speed rating
4. Have the appropriate temperature range (AS vs winter vs summer) for your driving conditions.

This is why there are industry standards.......

I would add that they are adjusting the pressure relative to things like a different size and profile tire or a different load in order to optimize the contact patch. The load rating of the tire is more than adequate to support the weight of the car.

Too low and the tire wears unevenly on the edges and over heats.

Too high and the tire wears unevenly in the middle and you’re going to have reduced traction.

Then there is a range where you get a good contact patch and don’t generate too much heat.

If you increase your load significantly then yes you need to adjust the pressure even though the tire isn’t over it’s load rating.

This last part I think is where you’re over simplifying this.

Can't read your link but it looks like from Tire Rack.

Is maximum inflation pressure = maximum load pressure? Michelin's spec sheet says so.

If you believe the maximum load pressure is 35 psi, why recommended tire pressures by all car manufactures are always higher than 35 psi with heavier load? As an examples for our CX-5 in owner's manual posted above, that 41 psi at 17" rear is specified for full-load and 33 psi for half-load. For OE 225/65R17 100H tire its maximum load is 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure whereas OE 225/55R 99V is 1,709 lbs. @ 51 psi. That's why we have a little higher recommended tire pressure on 19" tire to carry about the same 900 lbs. weight on each tire for CX-5. Physics say tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion. Increasing air pressure on tire can carry more weight. It simply doesn't stop at 35 psi unless the tire can't handle the pressure.

And would you rather trust an official doc from Michelin or an article from Tire Rack? ;)

Can't read your link but it looks like from Tire Rack.

Is maximum inflation pressure = maximum load pressure? Michelin's spec sheet says so.

If you believe the maximum load pressure is 35 psi, why recommended tire pressures by all car manufactures are always higher than 35 psi with heavier load? As an examples for our CX-5 in owner's manual posted above, that 41 psi at 17" rear is specified for full-load and 33 psi for half-load. For OE 225/65R17 100H tire its maximum load is 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure whereas OE 225/55R 99V is 1,709 lbs. @ 51 psi. That's why we have a little higher recommended tire pressure on 19" tire to carry about the same 900 lbs. weight on each tire for CX-5. Physics say tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion. Increasing air pressure on tire can carry more weight. It simply doesn't stop at 35 psi unless the tire can't handle the pressure.

And would you rather trust an official doc from Michelin or an article from Tire Rack? ;)

Yep yep...

Same information? Tire rack has SL max load at 35,Discount Tire has 36. Not a big deal really,but it is different. Discount Tire would/will never touch my car,but thats a story for another day.

All in all,it doesnt matter what the articles say,the way youre dissecting them isnt correct,nor is running the tires at 35psi. Most tires arent running that these days,but of course you can. Regardless,Ill take a slightly overinflated tire over a slightly under inflated one anyday,well unless Im on a wet and sloppy racetrack.

Back