Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Ours came with the Toyo and they seem ok. I do hear a lot of folks not liking the Yokohama. From my experience the OE tires usually arent the best. You will probably like the Generals more.

Ours came with the Toyo and they seem ok. I do hear a lot of folks not liking the Yokohama. From my experience the OE tires usually aren*t the best. You will probably like the Generals more.

I dont know if i bite the bullet and get all 4 or 2. I am thinking 2. Lets see. Man that nail was on the edge. bad luck. Am assuming General would not have any warranty that covers this kindof bad luck. General wear and tear thats it.

I had to replace my Yokohamas at 18.5k miles as one of the tires developed a bubble in the sidewall. They are crap tires with very low wear ratings, so this should not be any mystery to anyone.

So update on the Altimax RT43's. Airing them up a bit more has made all the difference. They feel as responsive as my Michelins now and I am much happier now. I am not at all a fan of the feel of riding on balloons and at 34 PSI they felt exactly like that. At 37, they feel much, much better to my tastes.

I dont know if i bite the bullet and get all 4 or 2. I am thinking 2. Lets see. Man that nail was on the edge. bad luck. Am assuming General would not have any warranty that covers this kindof bad luck. General wear and tear thats it.

DT offers their "Certificate for Repair, Refund or Replacement". So pay a bit extra and be protected for the life of the tire.

Or get road hazard coverage from the tire shop. Usually pays off in the long run as it would cover something like that. I always prefer all 4 matching.

I checked my other 3 - they seem to be good. Probably going to be added to loaner tires. Using a Quarter - not a penny - I could not see top of Washington's head. 1/32 is 0.079375 centimeters so I am at 5/32 or 6/32 on other tires. I am only getting a pair right now. Let them keep 1 good tire as loaner.
Getting the road hazard warranty on 2 tires as well All in $ 327.

AT 23k miles - slow leak in front driver side turned out to be a nail and it always is on the edge. F$R%$##$#$# BHE#R#$#$#@$#$#.
So DT put on a loaner but I am about to get the RT43 Hs which run 114 right now and maybe 50 installation for the front two. The rear are measured at 4/32 at 23k - Yokohama has lot less ham than you'd think. Planning on calling Mazda and Yokohama to unload on them.

I might just do two as I do not like wasting tires due to the environmental cost and will eat the extra 50 for install. DT has been very good for me. Will put the other two at 30k miles and call it done till 80K miles.

What's the treadwear rating on the OEM tires?

What's the treadwear rating on the OEM tires?

they are not rated - Yokohama warranty is 12 months or if damage occurs within first 25% of treadware something something.
Dude at Disco Tire told me if you mismatch tires your TPMS will be on forever. I dont think its true. I set the Altimax at 36 and Geolanders at 36 and it should be fine. I think my Geo's will last about 5 k more miles atleast.
654 for all 4. with warranty. hmmmmm.

they are not rated - Yokohama warranty is 12 months or if damage occurs within first 25% of treadware something something.
Dude at Disco Tire told me if you mismatch tires your TPMS will be on forever. I dont think its true. I set the Altimax at 36 and Geolanders at 36 and it should be fine. I think my Geo's will last about 5 k more miles atleast.
654 for all 4. with warranty. hmmmmm.

They have to have a treadwear rating. It will be on the sidewall by the traction and temperature ratings. It's usually a number between 100 and 800

According to Tire Rack the OE tire for a 2016 Touring is: YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR G91A Highway All-Season; P225/65R17 100H; UTQG: 280 B A . So not a great tire to start with. If it were me, I'd bite the bullet and replace all 4 and try to sell the others on craigslist or similar to recoup a few bucks.

that means that the tire is rated for 28,000 miles. Seeing as how Kaps is at 23k miles, replacing all 4 might be the way to go

Like others had said, with "280 B A" UTQG the rest of your OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A may have about another 5,000-mile tread life left. Considering you'll have 65,000 ~ 70,000 miles on your new General AltiMAX* RT43's, it's not worth the time and hassle just to prolong 2 old tires with another 5,000 miles. Not to mention the performance and safety issues which come with the mix-use of different tires. Bite the bullet.

Try 38 psi initially on your new RT43's then adjust the tire pressure according to your taste.

Like others had said, with "280 B A" UTQG the rest of your OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A may have about another 5,000-mile tread life left. Considering you'll have 65,000 ~ 70,000 miles on your new General AltiMAX* RT43's, it's not worth the time and hassle just to prolong 2 old tires with another 5,000 miles. Not to mention the performance and safety issues which come with the mix-use of different tires. Bite the bullet.

Try 38 psi initially on your new RT43's then adjust the tire pressure according to your taste.

I ordered 4. Could have gotten bfgoodrich tires from Costco for $40 more with road hazard included, wonder if it is worth. Well at least I can get tires rotated every 5k miles now from disco t.

You did right by getting the rt-43's.No way would I pay more for BFG tires or buy them for that matter.

Inflated up to a higher PSI, I am very happy with the RT-43s, especially at that price.

At 34 PSI they feel like squishy balloons.

Wow, they must have had issues getting these tires balanced. When I filled them up with some more air, noticed that all 4 wheels had tons of weights attached to the inside of them.

Wow, they must have had issues getting these tires balanced. When I filled them up with some more air, noticed that all 4 wheels had tons of weights attached to the inside of them.
Many aluminum wheels have inner and outer flange for a traditional clip-on wheel weight for tire balancing. Mazda OE alloy wheels can't use clip-on weight but several -oz stick-on weights. You'd see 12 stick-on weights instead of a single 3-oz clip-on weights and also see both inner and outer stick-on weights instead of a single outer clip-on weight as the inner one is hidden. That's why you feel DT was having issues getting these tires balanced. It's normal.

1_e2add56a-6cdd-43dd-9541-b5462f8c26de_1024x1024.jpeg

Many aluminum wheels have inner and outer flange for a traditional clip-on wheel weight for tire balancing. Mazda OE alloy wheels can't use clip-on weight but several -oz stick-on weights. You'd see 12 stick-on weights instead of a single 3-oz clip-on weights and also see both inner and outer stick-on weights instead of a single outer clip-on weight as the inner one is hidden. That's why you feel DT was having issues getting these tires balanced. It's normal.

1_e2add56a-6cdd-43dd-9541-b5462f8c26de_1024x1024.jpeg

Ah. Well they ride fine, so all that matters. Just something I noticed vs. my previous set of tires. ;)

Do yourself a favor and take photos of all the weights on four wheels. Those stick on weights sometimes get unstuck, and then you have balance problems. It's good to be able to compare if you have problems later.

Back