Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Yea I feel like it’s more like 100 but they’re probably going worse case plus a safety margin.

Inflated a little bit, made a difference for sure. Overall happy with the tires. They still feel a little squishier than my Michelins did, but overall happy with how the car is accelerating with them.

Regarding the squishiness, could just be the difference between a tire with new tread, and a tire that was at 3/32nd.

Inflated a little bit, made a difference for sure. Overall happy with the tires. They still feel a little squishier than my Michelins did, but overall happy with how the car is accelerating with them.

Regarding the squishiness, could just be the difference between a tire with new tread, and a tire that was at 3/32nd.
Squishiness? Try to add more air to 38~39 psi and see. I believe it has everything to do with the difference between 44 psi maximum inflation pressure / maximum load pressure on your Michelins and 51 psi on your current Generals. With the same psi on these two tires, they handle different weight carrying hence your current General tires need more air than Michelins to carry the same weight.

Squishiness? Try to add more air to 38~39 psi and see. I believe it has everything to do with the difference between 44 psi maximum inflation pressure / maximum load pressure on your Michelin’s and 51 psi on your current General’s. With the same psi on these two tires, they handle different weight carrying hence your current General tires need more air than Michelin’s to carry the same weight.

Can you please cite a source to corroborate this claim?

Can you please cite a source to corroborate this claim?
My theory is simple. If his previous Michelin 225/65R17 102H is designed to have maximum load 1,874 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and his current General 225/65R17 102H has maximum load 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi, these two tires would have different load carrying / contact patch at the same 36 psi as the tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion. If 36 psi is good for his previous Michelin’s, then more pressure is needed for Genetal’s to carry the same weight from CX-5 with optimal contact patch.

Also each tire is different on optimal tire pressure for a vehicle and in general, higher tire pressure can lighten the squishiness / softness feeling on tires.

My theory is simple. If his previous Michelin 225/65R17 102H is designed to have maximum load 1,874 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure, and his current General 225/65R17 102H has maximum load 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi, these two tires would have different load carrying / contact patch at the same 36 psi as the tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion. If 36 psi is good for his previous Michelin’s, then more pressure is needed for Genetal’s to carry the same weight from CX-5 with optimal contact patch.

Also each tire is different on optimal tire pressure for a vehicle and in general, higher tire pressure can lighten the squishiness / softness feeling on tires.

Michelins were 225/65/R17 100T actually. Link

So the Generals are definitely better spec'd on that front. The UTQK is 720 on the Michelins vs 700 on the Generals, but General is A A, vs A B on the Michelins.

And I noticed today they much more easily accelerate. What do they call that? Resistance? Car feels like it's moving more effortlessly when I am gunning it. I haven't had occasion to take some rough corners, but the Michelins did excellent on that front. We'll see.

Last edited:
No, just no that’s not how that works. Unless you can find at least one source that corroborates your theory quit spreading miss information.

Two tires of the same size and load rating and index support the same load at the same pressure. The max pressure isn’t really relevant at all here.

The OE for 17” is P225/65R17 100H SL

The load rating here is 1764 lbs. Thats the max. Increasing the pressure over the pressure used in the rating to anything up to the max doesn’t increase the load the tire is rated to carry.

If you look at a graph the load it can support will climb to the pressure at which the load rating is determined and then is a flat line at the same load to the max inflation pressure.

We have standards for a reason.

The difference in feel with something like steering response, which can be helped with higher pressure, is likely to due the relative stiffness of the sidewalls. Also the depth and design of the tread are factors as well.

And I noticed today they much more easily accelerate. What do they call that? Resistance? Car feels like it's moving more effortlessly when I am gunning it. I haven't had occasion to take some rough corners, but the Michelins did excellent on that front. We'll see.
If that's it, then perhaps you'll get better gas mileage, too.
Those new tires MAY have about a half inch greater diameter due to the thicker tread, too.
Lots of variables, as always.

No, just no thats not how that works. Unless you can find at least one source that corroborates your theory quit spreading miss information.

Two tires of the same size and load rating and index support the same load at the same pressure. The max pressure isnt really relevant at all here.

The OE for 17 is P225/65R17 100H SL

The load rating here is 1764 lbs. Thats the max. Increasing the pressure over the pressure used in the rating to anything up to the max doesnt increase the load the tire is rated to carry.

If you look at a graph the load it can support will climb to the pressure at which the load rating is determined and then is a flat line at the same load to the max inflation pressure.

We have standards for a reason.

The difference in feel with something like steering response, which can be helped with higher pressure, is likely to due the relative stiffness of the sidewalls. Also the depth and design of the tread are factors as well.
If you believe the graph would shown the load which can support will climb to the pressure at which the load rating is determined and then is a flat line at the same load to the maximum inflation pressure, this load pressure is 35 psi based on Tire Rack. Everything over 35 psi the load rating would be the same which is the maximum load. Then how do you explain all car manufactures, I ncludong Mazda, specify higher than 35 psi for heavier load? Further, each tire carries only 900+ lbs. on CX-5, why we need ~35 psi to let the tire handling the maximum load which is 1,874 lbs.? Thiss well over the necessary load carrying for each tire!

A little wiggle room on tire pressure? Look at the recommended tire pressures on CX-5 for Mexico, from 33 ~ 41 psi on 17" rear; and 36 ~ 42 psi on 19" rear:

attachment.php

View attachment 219424

And here are the recommended tire pressures on my 2001.5 VW Passat with 28 ~ 44 psi on rear:

pic-6981828435756281753-1600x1200.jpeg

And heres spec sheet from Michelin Latitude Tour HP which shows the maximum load pressure is the maximum inflation pressure:

attachment.php

View attachment 219463

Anyway I’m done with this discussion and max inflation conspiracy theory.

Colorado I hope you like your new shoes.

If you believe the graph would shown the load which can support will climb to the pressure at which the load rating is determined and then is a flat line at the same load to the maximum inflation pressure, this load pressure is 35 psi based on Tire Rack. Everything over 35 psi the load rating would be the same which is the maximum load. Then how do you explain all car manufactures, I ncludong Mazda, specify higher than 35 psi for heavier load? Further, each tire carries only 900+ lbs. on CX-5, why we need ~35 psi to let the tire handling the maximum load which is 1,874 lbs.? Thiss well over the necessary load carrying for each tire!

How did you arrive at this number of 900+ lbs? I'm guessing 3600 lb divided by 4? That only works if you are going without a driver, passengers and cargo. Try using using the GVWR of 4566 lb ('16 AWD) or the GAWR's 2328 lb (front) and 2244 lb (rear). So taking half of the front GAWR you get 1164 lb per front wheel. Now that's a good number if you're on a flat smooth road, going straight. But I plan to take curves which shifts load to one side or the other. And I might have to stop which can shift weight forward. And I might hit a pot-hole or bump that imparts a load into that tire. At times you are using a lot more of your load rating than you might realize. I bet you're coming much closer to 1874 lbs. than you think.

Its because heat! I think someone else already said that too.
All psi ratings are based on cold temperature. Not sure about the heat as the average temperature in Arizona or Texas is higher than many cities in Mexico. And the average temperature in Canada is much lower than cities in the USA, why use the same recommended psi between Canada and USA?

Further, the range of recommended psis is from 33 ~ 42 psi on CX-5 in Mexico, it definitely indicates heavier load requires higher tire pressure, it has nothing to do with the heat.

And the range of 28 ~ 44 psi recommended tire pressure for different load and speed on my VW Passat also has nothing to do with the heat.

How did you arrive at this number of 900+ lbs? I'm guessing 3600 lb divided by 4? That only works if you are going without a driver, passengers and cargo. Try using using the GVWR of 4566 lb ('16 AWD) or the GAWR's 2328 lb (front) and 2244 lb (rear). So taking half of the front GAWR you get 1164 lb per front wheel. Now that's a good number if you're on a flat smooth road, going straight. But I plan to take curves which shifts load to one side or the other. And I might have to stop which can shift weight forward. And I might hit a pot-hole or bump that imparts a load into that tire. At times you are using a lot more of your load rating than you might realize. I bet you're coming much closer to 1874 lbs. than you think.
I agree each tire carries more weight than 900+ lbs. in many conditions. But 1,164 lbs. for each tire based on GAWR is still only 62% of the maximum load for a 102H tire. There’s no way getting close to the need of maximum load carrying of a tire.

According to Tire Rack, 35 psi is all we need to have the maximum load carrying on each tire and we don’t get any more load carrying by increasing the tire pressure. This statement contradicts to the specs from Michelin, and can’t explain the wide range and greater than 35 psi of tire pressure recommendation by many car manufactures.

Higher tire pressure will carry more load and handle faster speed.

It doesn’t contradict the spec sheet. The max load at everything from the rated pressure to max is the same so that document of course isn’t inaccurate. It doesn’t show you the load at every possible psi which is what I feel like you need to see to start to understand this.

Pressure recommendations are not based on *just* achieving a load requirement. That’s generally not an issue as we aren’t even close to pushing that. Other things are important like contact patch and heat build up as you roll down the road from the flexing of the tire. This is why you’re seeing recommendations for carrying a load which will cause it to flex more ergo produce more heat and it can change the shape of the contact patch.

Also the speed thing but if you’re obeying speed limits this isn’t really an issue.

You need to do more research vs just trying to work this out in your head based on an incorrect interpretation of an abbreviated spec sheet.

Last edited:
AT 23k miles - slow leak in front driver side turned out to be a nail and it always is on the edge. F$R%$##$#$# BHE#R#$#$#@$#$#.
So DT put on a loaner but I am about to get the RT43 Hs which run 114 right now and maybe 50 installation for the front two. The rear are measured at 4/32 at 23k - Yokohama has lot less ham than you'd think. Planning on calling Mazda and Yokohama to unload on them.

I might just do two as I do not like wasting tires due to the environmental cost and will eat the extra 50 for install. DT has been very good for me. Will put the other two at 30k miles and call it done till 80K miles.

Back