Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

True, seems like a compromise.

Around here I know some people who use them as winters as were kinda borderline with warm weather mixed in and very inconsistent snow fall. But those people generally switch to true summers or UHP AS for the warmer months. I don’t actually know anyone running year round. I would expect them not to do well in the heat considering how far to winter they’re balanced. I’m considering them for the GTI or more likely Pilot Alpin PA4.

Around here I know some people who use them as winters as were kinda borderline with warm weather mixed in and very inconsistent snow fall. But those people generally switch to true summers or UHP AS for the warmer months. I don’t actually know anyone running year round. I would expect them not to do well in the heat considering how far to winter they’re balanced. I’m considering them for the GTI or more likely Pilot Alpin PA4.
Yeah I looked at all weather tires but generally decided that they were a jack of 2 trades, master of none and wasnt the route I wanted to go.

Forgot how responsive my Michelins feel by a large comparison to my Blizzaks of the same size. Night and day difference. It's nice to be back in this kinda tire. :)

I guess that is my concern with the Altimax 43's. I see some people saying they feel responsive, others say they don't, so I feel like I am getting a mixed message that I can't decide one way or the other on. Really, responsiveness is what I value the most. How it feels when I turn, how direct it is, etc. That connection to the road feeling.

The General is definitely a good tire but it’s the value tire here. And Continental, who makes General, to me have always been a bit weak on steering feel.

The General is definitely a good tire but it’s the value tire here. And Continental, who makes General, to me have always been a bit weak on steering feel.
Well, that answers that.

What brands should I look at then?

If you want good steering feel just get the Michelin Premier. Unless it’s over budget.

Eh...maybe if I spread it out. Honestly, I don't understand why Michelins are now $150+/tire these days. When I bought mine, they were closer to $120-125/tire. Same exact tire now is $155/tire. And I have longevity concerns over the Premiers being at only 8.5/32nd tread-depth brand new.

Probably the Continental TrueContact. The Pirelli are weak in the wet. And you get used to the steering feel and then it’s normal.

What brands should I look at then?
You just said all weather tires generally are a jack of 2 trades, master of none. The same is between better performance and long treadwear. Even the personal preference is involved. Worse the exact same tire sometimes would perform differently than the same set you bought few years earlier.

Since one person's opinion on tire performance can be totally different from the other on the same tire, I'd suggest you compare tires from you own experience. We all know OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A is crap and performance ranking in Tire Rack proves just that, at #34 out of 41 highway all-season tires. The second set you have, Michelin Latitude Tour is ranked #10 out of 27 crossover/SUV touring all-season tires which is much worse than Michelin Premier LTX. But if you notice, based on Tire Rack tire ratings, while Premier LTX has better performance on dry、wet、winter/snow conditions (9.1、9.2、7.7) than Latitude Tour (8.0、8.5、6.3), but treadwear is worse (6.8 vs. 7.7). Now we compare General AltiMAX RT43 which is ranked #4 out of 47 grand touring all-season tires, it has better performance on dry、wet、winter/snow (8.0、8.7、8.9) and longer treadwear (8.5) than your Michelin Latitude Tour. Based on Tire Tack survey, General AltiMAX RT43 should perform better than your current Michelin Latitude Tour, especially in winter/snow condition, but it also lasts longer on mileage.

attachment.php

attachment.php

IMG_0277.PNGIMG_0278.PNG
Here are partial list of many 225/65R17 tires with specs. I still feel General AltiMAX™ RT43 is the best buy with excellent reviews. And Continental is a major tire company based in Germany.

Highway All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Firestone Destination LE2225/65R17
102H
520 A B44 psi12/32"28 lbs.60,000 Miles
5 Years
$131.36
- TR
Michelin Defender LTX M/S225/65R17
102H
720 A A44 psi10.5/32"29 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$162.07
- TR
Yokohama Geolandar G91AP225/65R17
100H
280 B A44 psi10/32"26 lbs.OEM - None$214.25
- TR

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental TrueContact™225/65R17
102T
800 A B44 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.90,000 Miles
6 Years
$128.99
- TR
Michelin Defender T+H225/65R17
102H
820 A B44 psi10/32"27 lbs.80,000 Miles
6 Years
$166.07
- TR

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
General AltiMAX™ RT43225/65R17
102H
700 A A51 psi11/32"24.3 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$113.99
- TR
Yokohama AVID Ascend225/65R17
102H
740 A A51 psi12/32"28 lbs.75,000 Miles
5 Years
$130.50
- TR

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:

Tire

Size

UTQG
Maximum
Inflation
Pressure

Tread
Depth

Tire
Weight

Warranty

Price*
Continental CrossContact™
LX20
225/65R17
102T
740 A B57 psi12/32"27.7 lbs.70,000 Miles
6 Years
$128.88
- TR
Michelin Latitude Tour225/65R17
100T
720 A B44 psi10/32"25 lbs.65,000 Miles
6 Years
$155.23
- TR
Michelin Premier LTX225/65R17
102H
620 A A44 psi8.5/32"25 lbs.60,000 Miles
6 Years
$155.07
- TR
Pirelli Scorpion Verde™
All Season Plus
225/65R17
102H
740 A A44 psi11/32"28 lbs.65,000 Miles$139.97
- TR

XL = Extra Load
TR = TireRack.com

Performance Category Rank from TireRack.com:

Highway All-Season Tires:
Michelin Defender LTX M/S - #2 out of 41
Firestone Destination LE2 - #6 out of 41
Yokohama Geolandar G91A - #34 out of 41

Standard Touring All-Season Tires:
Continental TrueContact™ - #1 out of 21
Michelin Defender T+H - #1 out of 21 (tied)

Grand Touring All-Season Tires:
General AltiMAX™ RT43 - #4 out of 47
Yokohama AVID Ascend - #13 out of 47

Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season Tires:
Michelin Premier LTX - #2 out of 27
Continental CrossContact™ LX20 - #4 out of 27
Pirelli Scorpion Verde™ All Season Plus - #4 out of 27 (tied)
Michelin Latitude Tour - #10 out of 27

Last edited:
I was assuming he doesn’t care about winter since he has Blizzaks.

I definitely think the Altimax are a good choice as well. And very budget friendly.

Yes, correct, do have the Blizzaks now, so winter is less a concern at the moment.

Well I may just decide to grab the Altimax then as they are definitely budget friendly.

As long as the feel and responsiveness is on par or better than my current Latitude Tour tires, I will be happy. If they are worse though, then no, but having a hard time figuring out how to compare that aspect of them lol.

Edit: And yrwei, I do appreciate the charts, but I can say that I take the review ones with a bit of a grain of salt. When I bought my Latitude Tours (Sep 2014), on tirerack they had much better numbers than what you are showing now in that post. That could be from a variety of factors, but the numbers aren't static, and I am sure may change for some of these tires that are newer as time goes on.

Still, overall helpful though, so I do appreciate it.

Last edited:
Probably the Continental TrueContact. The Pirelli are weak in the wet. And you get used to the steering feel and then its normal.
You have to be careful on 225/65R17 TrueContact! It's a totally different and inferior tire from other TrueContact's such as 225/55R19 99H and usually very similar General AltiMAX RT43 in H-rated 225/65R17, as it's T-rated (instead of H-rated)、heavier (28 instead of <25 lbs.)、lower maximum inflation pressure (44 instead of 51 psi)!

Yes, correct, do have the Blizzaks now, so winter is less a concern at the moment.

Well I may just decide to grab the Altimax then as they are definitely budget friendly.

As long as the feel and responsiveness is on par or better than my current Latitude Tour tires, I will be happy. If they are worse though, then no, but having a hard time figuring out how to compare that aspect of them lol.

Edit: And yrwei, I do appreciate the charts, but I can say that I take the review ones with a bit of a grain of salt. When I bought my Latitude Tours (Sep 2014), on tirerack they had much better numbers than what you are showing now in that post. That could be from a variety of factors, but the numbers aren't static, and I am sure may change for some of these tires that are newer as time goes on.

If you start reading into the reviews you will find some interesting stuff and cases where people are obviously rating the wrong tire or have unrealistic expectations. So you definitely should take it with a grain of salt.

I put more weight to the Tire Rack instrumented and professional tests. The Altimax get rated well from Tire Rack as well. And Tire Rack even praises them for steering response. Seems like the main complaint is as tread noise.

I don’t think you’re going to beat them for the price.

Yep those tire ratings from Tire Rack can change just like reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. Generally newly designed tires are getting better and some tires are performed worse as the tread wearing down. But some tires do stay at a higher mark as the time goes by, such as General AltiMAX RT43 tires. When I purchased a set of AltiMAX RT43's for my CR-V about 4 years ago, Tire Rack rated it #2 in the category. 4 years and 20,000 miles later with 20+ new tires coming out in the category, it's still rated #4! It's not the best performed tire you can find, but it definitely the best overall tire you can find for the price.

Yep those tire ratings from Tire Rack can change just like reliability ratings from Consumer Reports. Generally newly designed tires are getting better and some tires are performed worse as the tread wearing down. But some tires do stay at a higher mark as the time goes by, such as General AltiMAX RT43 tires. When I purchased a set of AltiMAX RT43's for my CR-V about 4 years ago, Tire Rack rated it #2 in the category. 4 years and 20,000 miles later with 20+ new tires coming out in the category, it's still rated #4! It's not the best performed tire you can find, but it definitely the best overall tire you can find for the price.

Yep, very good points!

So I don't know your driving style Yrwei, but I will ask this. I am generally a spirited driver. I love throwing my car around corners and just feeling "connected" to the road. i.e. Tires have to feel responsive. How are those Altimax tires for that? Like on my Michelins I totally feel a very direct feeling when steering, and can totally turn on a dime (exaggerating) with them. What I don't want is floaty feeling tires, or something that doesn't feel very direct when I turn the wheel.

So how are those Altimax tires working out for you in that respect?

Back