Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    ⋯ I think where we are really butting heads is that the OE recommendation is under. Iím saying itís not and youíre saying it is.
    You just answered the question yourself ⋯

If thatís the case why is the US recommended psi at max load different than Mexico?
    Based on tire pressure recommendations for gen-2 CX-5 225/55R19 99V tire listed above, our single tire pressure recommendation is low even comparing to half-load / normal condition recommendation in Mexico!

And different tires would require different tire pressure for optimal performance, especially when the size and specs, such as the maximum inflation pressure / maximum load pressure, are different from OE tires.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I still disagree with you that Mazda is recommending everyone drive around under inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    IMHO, its region based. Mexico is a lot warmer.
    Mexico is a lot warmer than Arizona? Then why Canada doesn't get lower recommendation?

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You just answered the question yourself ⋯

Based on tire pressure recommendations for gen-2 CX-5 225/55R19 99V tire listed above, our single tire pressure recommendation is low even comparing to half-load / normal condition recommendation in Mexico!

And different tires would require different tire pressure for optimal performance, especially when the size and specs, such as the maximum inflation pressure / maximum load pressure, are different from OE tires.
    1 psi doesn't really make much of a difference. Most air gauges have an error margin larger than that.

It probably has to do with different govt mpg requirements

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Mexico is a lot warmer than Arizona? Then why Canada doesn't get lower recommendation?
    In that case I'll just pull out the whole 'Merica card again.

On a serious note I tend to go with 36 PSI in the summertime. I don't know if its a myth or not but when I first moved out here I noticed a lot of car's tires blown out. My brother told me it was from people over filling their tires + the heat.

I still disagree with you that Mazda is recommending everyone drive around under inflated.
    My main point still is if the maximum inflation pressure on tires is the maximum load pressure. Since OE 225/65R17 100H has the maximum load at 44 psi, hence you need more air pressure on a tire with the same load index and the maximum load at 51 psi in order to get optimal contact patch for the same weight carrying.

And I said it before, most one-size-fits-all tire pressure recommendations in the US is low based on tire pressure recommendations in other regions and from my past experience. Tire blowout issue on Firestone tires from Ford Explore many years ago was due to low factory recommended tire pressure. My 1998 Honda CR-V has 26 psi recommended tire pressure but for its RT43 with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure I have to use 36 psi to get an even wear. I use 39 psi instead of 36 recommended psi on my CX-5 too.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

My main point still is if the maximum inflation pressure on tires is the maximum load pressure. Since OE 225/65R17 100H has the maximum load at 44 psi, hence you need more air pressure on a tire with the same load index and the maximum load at 51 psi in order to get optimal contact patch for the same weight carrying.

And I said it before, most one-size-fits-all tire pressure recommendations in the US is low based on tire pressure recommendations in other regions and from my past experience. Tire blowout issue on Firestone tires from Ford Explore many years ago was due to low factory recommended tire pressure. My 1998 Honda CR-V has 26 psi recommended tire pressure but for its RT43 with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure I have to use 36 psi to get an even wear. I use 39 psi instead of 36 recommended psi on my CX-5 too.
    Can you provide proof? Also the pressure they were recommending then was bellow 30..... not the stuff we see today. Also tire technology hasn’t stood still. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree. I feel the manufactures are more qualified than you are for pressure recommendations on their vehicles. I also think your logic that a tire that can hold more pressure needs more pressure to hold a load is flawed at best.
    Last edited by jthj; 07-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    In that case I'll just pull out the whole 'Merica card again.

On a serious note I tend to go with 36 PSI in the summertime. I don't know if its a myth or not but when I first moved out here I noticed a lot of car's tires blown out. My brother told me it was from people over filling their tires + the heat.
    Your Tourings have 34 psi recommendation and you added 2 more psi.

I believe more blowout tires in your area is due to people under-inflated their tires by not checking tire pressure more often, which will generate more heat than an over-inflated tire. Of course over-inflating a tire with lower maximum inflation pressure rating is dangerous in your area too. That's why I'm always looking for replacement tires with higher 51 psi maximum inflation pressure rating which has larger safety margin on tire pressure.

Can you provide proof? Also the pressure they were recommending then was bellow 30..... not the stuff we see today. Also tire technology hasnít stood still. Weíre just going to have to agree to disagree. I feel the manufactures are more qualified than you are for pressure recommendations on their vehicles. I also think your logic that a tire that can hold more pressure needs more pressure to hold a load is flawed at best.
    Based on Michelin's spec sheet in post #72 the maximum load pressure is the maximum inflation pressure. The physics say tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion.

For OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H its maximum load is 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

For General AltiMAXô RT43 225/65R17 102H its maximum load is 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

At 44 psi. RT43 can't carry 1,874 lbs. rated maximum load, but at 51 psi, it will. On a CX-5, optimal contact patch can't be the same having the same weight on both tires with the same recommended tire pressure @ 34 psi. You need more psi on RT43 to carry the same load with similar contact patch.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

yrwei, do you agree that if your tires are set to 36 psi, and then you load 1000 lbs into the car, the tire pressure will still be 36 psi?

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Anyhoo...tires are in, made sure they are the H speeds. Scheduled to get them installed on Friday.

Registered Member

2017 Mazda 6 Sport

Based on Michelin's spec sheet in post #72 the maximum load pressure is the maximum inflation pressure. The physics say tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion.

For OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H its maximum load is 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

For General AltiMAX™ RT43 225/65R17 102H its maximum load is 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

At 44 psi. RT43 can't carry 1,874 lbs. rated maximum load, but at 51 psi, it will. On a CX-5, optimal contact patch can't be the same having the same weight on both tires with the same recommended tire pressure @ 34 psi. You need more psi on RT43 to carry the same load with similar contact patch.
    that max load # is per tire, not vehicle load spread over 4 tires.. The max psi on the sidewall means nothing for most of us. The tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle the tire will end up on. The car manufactures are the ones that test psi vs vehicle vs performance

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I really don’t get the obsession over max inflation. Again just make sure

1. Tire is the correct size
    2. Tire has equivalent or better load rating
    3. Tire has equivalent or better speed rating
    4. Tire is of the appropriate temperature range for your driving conditions (AS vs Winter vs Summer)

Follow manufacturers recommended inflation specifications.

It really doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that.

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

I really don’t get the obsession over max inflation. Again just make sure

1. Tire is the correct size
    2. Tire has equivalent or better load rating
    3. Tire has equivalent or better speed rating
    4. Tire is of the appropriate temperature range for your driving conditions (AS vs Winter vs Summer)

Follow manufacturers recommended inflation specifications.

It really doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that.
    +1, with a little wiggle room for inflation to account for personal preference, up OR down, but just a few psi.
    Max pressure is really irrelevant... unless it's exceeded.

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    yrwei, do you agree that if your tires are set to 36 psi, and then you load 1000 lbs into the car, the tire pressure will still be 36 psi?
    Yes, the tire pressure would be still the same, but the contact patch won't. It would be more like a little under-inflated tire wearing outer tread more. That's why car manufactures specify higher tire pressure when you have heavier load.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast