Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 224

Thread: Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

  1. #91
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,756

    Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    ⋯ I think where we are really butting heads is that the OE recommendation is under. Iím saying itís not and youíre saying it is.
    You just answered the question yourself ⋯

    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    If thatís the case why is the US recommended psi at max load different than Mexico?
    Based on tire pressure recommendations for gen-2 CX-5 225/55R19 99V tire listed above, our single tire pressure recommendation is low even comparing to half-load / normal condition recommendation in Mexico!

    And different tires would require different tire pressure for optimal performance, especially when the size and specs, such as the maximum inflation pressure / maximum load pressure, are different from OE tires.

  2. #92
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,296
    I still disagree with you that Mazda is recommending everyone drive around under inflated.

  3. #93
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,756

    Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    IMHO, its region based. Mexico is a lot warmer.
    Mexico is a lot warmer than Arizona? Then why Canada doesn't get lower recommendation?

  4. #94
    Registered Member

    2017 Mazda 6 Sport

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    You just answered the question yourself ⋯



    Based on tire pressure recommendations for gen-2 CX-5 225/55R19 99V tire listed above, our single tire pressure recommendation is low even comparing to half-load / normal condition recommendation in Mexico!

    And different tires would require different tire pressure for optimal performance, especially when the size and specs, such as the maximum inflation pressure / maximum load pressure, are different from OE tires.
    1 psi doesn't really make much of a difference. Most air gauges have an error margin larger than that.

    It probably has to do with different govt mpg requirements

  5. #95
    Registered Member CX-5um's Avatar

    13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Glendale, AZ
    Posts
    2,638
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Mexico is a lot warmer than Arizona? Then why Canada doesn't get lower recommendation?
    In that case I'll just pull out the whole 'Merica card again.

    On a serious note I tend to go with 36 PSI in the summertime. I don't know if its a myth or not but when I first moved out here I noticed a lot of car's tires blown out. My brother told me it was from people over filling their tires + the heat.

  6. #96
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,756

    Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I still disagree with you that Mazda is recommending everyone drive around under inflated.
    My main point still is if the maximum inflation pressure on tires is the maximum load pressure. Since OE 225/65R17 100H has the maximum load at 44 psi, hence you need more air pressure on a tire with the same load index and the maximum load at 51 psi in order to get optimal contact patch for the same weight carrying.

    And I said it before, most one-size-fits-all tire pressure recommendations in the US is low based on tire pressure recommendations in other regions and from my past experience. Tire blowout issue on Firestone tires from Ford Explore many years ago was due to low factory recommended tire pressure. My 1998 Honda CR-V has 26 psi recommended tire pressure but for its RT43 with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure I have to use 36 psi to get an even wear. I use 39 psi instead of 36 recommended psi on my CX-5 too.

  7. #97
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,296

    Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    My main point still is if the maximum inflation pressure on tires is the maximum load pressure. Since OE 225/65R17 100H has the maximum load at 44 psi, hence you need more air pressure on a tire with the same load index and the maximum load at 51 psi in order to get optimal contact patch for the same weight carrying.

    And I said it before, most one-size-fits-all tire pressure recommendations in the US is low based on tire pressure recommendations in other regions and from my past experience. Tire blowout issue on Firestone tires from Ford Explore many years ago was due to low factory recommended tire pressure. My 1998 Honda CR-V has 26 psi recommended tire pressure but for its RT43 with 51 psi maximum inflation pressure I have to use 36 psi to get an even wear. I use 39 psi instead of 36 recommended psi on my CX-5 too.
    Can you provide proof? Also the pressure they were recommending then was bellow 30..... not the stuff we see today. Also tire technology hasn’t stood still. We’re just going to have to agree to disagree. I feel the manufactures are more qualified than you are for pressure recommendations on their vehicles. I also think your logic that a tire that can hold more pressure needs more pressure to hold a load is flawed at best.
    Last edited by jthj; 07-11-2018 at 12:00 PM.

  8. #98
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,756

    Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    In that case I'll just pull out the whole 'Merica card again.

    On a serious note I tend to go with 36 PSI in the summertime. I don't know if its a myth or not but when I first moved out here I noticed a lot of car's tires blown out. My brother told me it was from people over filling their tires + the heat.
    Your Tourings have 34 psi recommendation and you added 2 more psi.

    I believe more blowout tires in your area is due to people under-inflated their tires by not checking tire pressure more often, which will generate more heat than an over-inflated tire. Of course over-inflating a tire with lower maximum inflation pressure rating is dangerous in your area too. That's why I'm always looking for replacement tires with higher 51 psi maximum inflation pressure rating which has larger safety margin on tire pressure.

  9. #99
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,756

    Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Can you provide proof? Also the pressure they were recommending then was bellow 30..... not the stuff we see today. Also tire technology hasnít stood still. Weíre just going to have to agree to disagree. I feel the manufactures are more qualified than you are for pressure recommendations on their vehicles. I also think your logic that a tire that can hold more pressure needs more pressure to hold a load is flawed at best.
    Based on Michelin's spec sheet in post #72 the maximum load pressure is the maximum inflation pressure. The physics say tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion.

    For OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H its maximum load is 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

    For General AltiMAXô RT43 225/65R17 102H its maximum load is 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

    At 44 psi. RT43 can't carry 1,874 lbs. rated maximum load, but at 51 psi, it will. On a CX-5, optimal contact patch can't be the same having the same weight on both tires with the same recommended tire pressure @ 34 psi. You need more psi on RT43 to carry the same load with similar contact patch.

  10. #100
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,252
    yrwei, do you agree that if your tires are set to 36 psi, and then you load 1000 lbs into the car, the tire pressure will still be 36 psi?

  11. #101
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    3,435
    Anyhoo...tires are in, made sure they are the H speeds. Scheduled to get them installed on Friday.

  12. #102
    Registered Member

    2017 Mazda 6 Sport

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Based on Michelin's spec sheet in post #72 the maximum load pressure is the maximum inflation pressure. The physics say tire pressure and load carrying are in direct proportion.

    For OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H its maximum load is 1,764 lbs. @ 44 psi maximum inflation pressure.

    For General AltiMAX™ RT43 225/65R17 102H its maximum load is 1,874 lbs. @ 51 psi maximum inflation pressure.

    At 44 psi. RT43 can't carry 1,874 lbs. rated maximum load, but at 51 psi, it will. On a CX-5, optimal contact patch can't be the same having the same weight on both tires with the same recommended tire pressure @ 34 psi. You need more psi on RT43 to carry the same load with similar contact patch.
    that max load # is per tire, not vehicle load spread over 4 tires.. The max psi on the sidewall means nothing for most of us. The tire manufacturer has no idea what vehicle the tire will end up on. The car manufactures are the ones that test psi vs vehicle vs performance

  13. #103
    Registered Member

    2017 CX-5

    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    1,296
    I really don’t get the obsession over max inflation. Again just make sure

    1. Tire is the correct size
    2. Tire has equivalent or better load rating
    3. Tire has equivalent or better speed rating
    4. Tire is of the appropriate temperature range for your driving conditions (AS vs Winter vs Summer)

    Follow manufacturers recommended inflation specifications.

    It really doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that.

  14. #104
    Underutilized Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I really don’t get the obsession over max inflation. Again just make sure

    1. Tire is the correct size
    2. Tire has equivalent or better load rating
    3. Tire has equivalent or better speed rating
    4. Tire is of the appropriate temperature range for your driving conditions (AS vs Winter vs Summer)

    Follow manufacturers recommended inflation specifications.

    It really doesn’t need to be any more complicated than that.
    +1, with a little wiggle room for inflation to account for personal preference, up OR down, but just a few psi.
    Max pressure is really irrelevant... unless it's exceeded.

  15. #105
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    6,756

    Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    yrwei, do you agree that if your tires are set to 36 psi, and then you load 1000 lbs into the car, the tire pressure will still be 36 psi?
    Yes, the tire pressure would be still the same, but the contact patch won't. It would be more like a little under-inflated tire wearing outer tread more. That's why car manufactures specify higher tire pressure when you have heavier load.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Tire recomendations
    By woot woot in forum Mazda2 Lounge
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-10-2014, 06:44 AM
  2. Tire Rack 17" Winter Wheel/Tire Package - Used One Season - SOLD
    By Jimal in forum Completed Transactions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2013, 03:21 PM
  3. Which All season tire?
    By aceblaster in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-12-2010, 12:47 PM
  4. all season tire?
    By lcpt in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-13-2009, 02:26 PM
  5. Best all around all season tire?
    By slenser in forum Mazda Protege
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 10:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •