Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Initial impressions for RT43 are well they are strictly a budget tire. Which is fine. Yokohama accelerated better / handled better. Double the price better - not at all. So hoping 60k trouble free miles on this.
What is your current tire pressure? I'd suggest pump up your 225/65R17 to 38 psi first, than release some if you feel the ride is too firm.

Initial impressions for RT43 are well they are strictly a budget tire. Which is fine. Yokohama accelerated better / handled better. Double the price better - not at all. So hoping 60k trouble free miles on this.
Yeah I thought the RT43s felt awful at 34 PSI. Air them up to 36.

I upgraded to Pirelli P-Zero All-Season Plus (225.60.R18) on M011 wheels today.

The car no longer has that iffy truck handling provided by the craptastic Yokohamas. It's amazing what the right tires will do for this chassis. Can recommend.

Going to a larger wheel and lower profile tire will greatly help the feel everyone is pumping their pressure up to fix.

Recommendations for 2014 GT tires? Looking for a good deal, and all I can find are 4 for about $800-900 installed.

Currently have P225/55R19 99V

Last edited:
Thanks. These are the ones my car came with. Do others just downgrade usually?
How many miles on your 2014 CX-5? Did you buy it pre-owned?

Factory Toyo A23's usually should last 30K miles. General AltiMAX RT43 usually should last 65K miles. RT43 has been rated as good performance tire and excellent value for long miles. Not sure about your "downgrade" means? Compare to what? RT43 certainly is an upgrade to OE A23 especially on treadwear.

Factory Toyo A23's usually should last 30K miles. General AltiMAX[emoji769] RT43 usually should last 65K miles. RT43 has been rated as good performance tire and excellent value for long miles. Not sure about your "downgrade" means? Compare to what? RT43 certainly is an upgrade to OE A23 especially on treadwear.
To be fair...some of the driving characteristics of the tire is a downgrade.

But overall happy with the performance for the cost.

Factory Toyo A23's usually should last 30K miles. General AltiMAX* RT43 usually should last 65K miles. RT43 has been rated as good performance tire and excellent value for long miles. Not sure about your "downgrade" means? Compare to what? RT43 certainly is an upgrade to OE A23 especially on treadwear.

Maybe he's looking at cost. The Toyos are a ridiculous $225/tire, while the Altimax can go for around $100.

Factory Toyo A23's usually should last 30K miles. General AltiMAX* RT43 usually should last 65K miles. RT43 has been rated as good performance tire and excellent value for long miles. Not sure about your "downgrade" means? Compare to what? RT43 certainly is an upgrade to OE A23 especially on treadwear.

Bought brand new from Mazda dealer in August 2013. GT.

Maybe he's looking at cost. The Toyos are a ridiculous $225/tire, while the Altimax can go for around $100.

Looking at best balance of cost & quality. Chicago driving, so snow half the year.

Looking at best balance of cost & quality. Chicago driving, so snow half the year.

If you*re not looking for a complete snow tire, the General Altimax RT43 will treat you well, and you*ll be hard pressed to beat them for the price...

Conti TrueContact

Recommendations for 2014 GT tires? Looking for a good deal, and all I can find are 4 for about $800-900 installed.

Currently have P225/55R19 99V

I've got around 60k miles between 2 sets of Continental TrueContact (same on my CX-9 and CX-5) and have been very happy with them here in Chicagoland. They do very well in the rain and pretty good in the snow. I always recommend folks nervous in the snow just buy snow tires, but the winters here in the last few years haven't been a problem with these tires.

Like all tires, after the 3rd year or so, they don't do as well in rain, but I will be buying them again if they are still available when required.

I bought both sets at Discount Tire and they matched/beat online prices.

I have a brand new set of 4 Pirelli All Terrain Scorpian tires that might get mounted tomorrow if I can make an appointment happen and manage to sell my stock Yoko's with <9K on them. Got them from Discount Tire Direct on Labor Day sale, $160 ea, 20% off in the form of pre paid visa cards.

They look fairly aggressive and have the triple snowflake rating, tread on the sidewalls. Supposed to be good for wet snow and gravel. 50K mile rated.

I'll give a brief review once I get them on.

I have a brand new set of 4 Pirelli All Terrain Scorpian tires that might get mounted tomorrow if I can make an appointment happen and manage to sell my stock Yoko's with <9K on them. Got them from Discount Tire Direct on Labor Day sale, $160 ea, 20% off in the form of pre paid visa cards.

They look fairly aggressive and have the triple snowflake rating, tread on the sidewalls. Supposed to be good for wet snow and gravel. 50K mile rated.

I'll give a brief review once I get them on.

Those tires were a little heavy for my tastes, but let us know how you like them!

Back