Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Donated: $5

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT FWD w/Tech Soul Red/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    If you believe the graph would shown the load which can support will climb to the pressure at which the load rating is determined and then is a flat line at the same load to the maximum inflation pressure, this load pressure is 35 psi based on Tire Rack. Everything over 35 psi the load rating would be the same which is the maximum load. Then how do you explain all car manufactures, I ncludong Mazda, specify higher than 35 psi for heavier load? Further, each tire carries only 900+ lbs. on CX-5, why we need ~35 psi to let the tire handling the maximum load which is 1,874 lbs.? Thisís well over the necessary load carrying for each tire!

How did you arrive at this number of 900+ lbs? I'm guessing 3600 lb divided by 4? That only works if you are going without a driver, passengers and cargo. Try using using the GVWR of 4566 lb ('16 AWD) or the GAWR's 2328 lb (front) and 2244 lb (rear). So taking half of the front GAWR you get 1164 lb per front wheel. Now that's a good number if you're on a flat smooth road, going straight. But I plan to take curves which shifts load to one side or the other. And I might have to stop which can shift weight forward. And I might hit a pot-hole or bump that imparts a load into that tire. At times you are using a lot more of your load rating than you might realize. I bet you're coming much closer to 1874 lbs. than you think.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Itís because heat! I think someone else already said that too.
    All psi ratings are based on cold temperature. Not sure about the heat as the average temperature in Arizona or Texas is higher than many cities in Mexico. And the average temperature in Canada is much lower than cities in the USA, why use the same recommended psi between Canada and USA?

Further, the range of recommended psiís is from 33 ~ 42 psi on CX-5 in Mexico, it definitely indicates heavier load requires higher tire pressure, it has nothing to do with the heat.

And the range of 28 ~ 44 psi recommended tire pressure for different load and speed on my VW Passat also has nothing to do with the heat.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Need All-Season Tire Recomendations

Quote Originally Posted by brillo54 View Post
    How did you arrive at this number of 900+ lbs? I'm guessing 3600 lb divided by 4? That only works if you are going without a driver, passengers and cargo. Try using using the GVWR of 4566 lb ('16 AWD) or the GAWR's 2328 lb (front) and 2244 lb (rear). So taking half of the front GAWR you get 1164 lb per front wheel. Now that's a good number if you're on a flat smooth road, going straight. But I plan to take curves which shifts load to one side or the other. And I might have to stop which can shift weight forward. And I might hit a pot-hole or bump that imparts a load into that tire. At times you are using a lot more of your load rating than you might realize. I bet you're coming much closer to 1874 lbs. than you think.
    I agree each tire carries more weight than 900+ lbs. in many conditions. But 1,164 lbs. for each tire based on GAWR is still only 62% of the maximum load for a 102H tire. There’s no way getting close to the need of maximum load carrying of a tire.

According to Tire Rack, 35 psi is all we need to have the maximum load carrying on each tire and we don’t get any more load carrying by increasing the tire pressure. This statement contradicts to the specs from Michelin, and can’t explain the wide range and greater than 35 psi of tire pressure recommendation by many car manufactures.

Higher tire pressure will carry more load and handle faster speed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910