Mazda logo help!

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hi guys!

I own a 2017 Cx-5 GT. Anyway, I had PPF put on the front of the paint. Now, the front-end looks good, but my Mazda emblem on the front of the grill is taking a beating.

So, I was wondering if it would be ok with the sensors, etc to try and put a piece of PPF on there? If not, do they make any type of protective covering? Last, what does the front plastic piece cost to replace and what does the installation process entail?

Has anyone else noticed a lot of chips on their front Mazda emblem?

Thanks!

I wouldn't add anything (PPF) to the emblem if I were you.

You could try some sort of plastic protection on top of it but it may effect your MRCC sensors.

Bummer! Can the plastic on the front of the emblem be easily replaced?

I am not sure. Maybe a technical bulletin or workshop manual might shed some light.

Contact your Mazda service centre

True. Thought someone on here might know... isn’t anyone else’s emblem getting beat up by rocks?

Too soon for me to tell (just picked it up yesterday!)

I am sure others here will advise :)

I wouldn't add anything (PPF) to the emblem if I were you.

You could try some sort of plastic protection on top of it but it may effect your MRCC sensors.

PPF is a type of plastic though. thermoplastic urethane film Should not affect sensors.

I have a 2016 GT with the sensors behind/in the front emblem and my shop that did my PPF installed a piece over the plastic that covers the emblem. I don't have any issues with the PPF on there at all. I'd go back to your installer and ask if they could cut a piece from some scrap to put over that sensor.

Are you 100% sure (uhm)

Consider the actual cover itself is a hard plastic. PPF is basically a thinner pliable plastic. I bet the OP can buy a $5.00 sheet of PPF and install it himself to test. Matter of fact, you can try taping some plastic tupperware over it and test it too.

I have a mate who designs radar cruise control for TRW. He reckons that emblem is effectively a lens that is finely calibrated and absolutely nothing should be applied to it.

I have a mate who designs radar cruise control for TRW. He reckons that emblem is effectively a lens that is finely calibrated and absolutely nothing should be applied to it.

That's what I thought too but others here seem to think differently

To be safe don't cover it I guess. Too bad the logo will look dingy though:(

To be safe don't cover it I guess. Too bad the logo will look dingy though:(

You can always get this to make up for it!

2ze07xd.jpg

any update on this? I am planning to cover the logo with PPF and was wondering if the sensor will get affected

I've got a couple of small pits in the plastic already, but I didn't want to "earn" any more during a recent road trip, so I put a layer of tinted clear vinyl over the logo before I set out. I used MRCC extensively during the trip, and I didn't experience any issues/malfunctions with the MRCC system, but YMMV. I took it off as soon as the road trip was over.

Try contacting someone at your dealer to see if they can look into how they might repair the pits. Maybe something as simple as Meguiar's PlastX could work, who knows. I'd see what they say before doing anything though.

Back