White streaks down doors

droopdog

Any one else experience white streak on drive side back panel picture below. We had long winter here in Ohio, so through it might be salt residue. However didn't come off after a car wash. So last weekend I got out the clay bar, and then hand wash it , but still unable to get this to come off. What's the best way to clean/treat? Should I use something like Scratch X on it? I'm not sure if the issue with the clear coat or the clear bra that on it.

20180509_133106.jpg

Wash it with your regular car shampoo - if it goes away momentarily when wet its the clear coat and ScratchX might work or megs magic compound.

No sure Scratch X would help.

If clay barring does not work it tells me its something chemical base unfortunately. The closes experience I had is when someone purposely splashed my Red Honda CRX with radiator fluid. Ate through the clear coat and into the paint. Try going to different reputable paint shops for ideas on what it could be.

No sure Scratch X would help.

If clay barring does not work it tells me its something chemical base unfortunately. The closes experience I had is when someone purposely splashed my Red Honda CRX with radiator fluid. Ate through the clear coat and into the paint. Try going to different reputable paint shops for ideas on what it could be.

I agree with this. A good body shop or a detailer might be able to discern what happened and what course of action should be taken.

Any one else experience white streak on drive side back panel picture below. We had long winter here in Ohio, so through it might be salt residue. However didn't come off after a car wash. So last weekend I got out the clay bar, and then hand wash it , but still unable to get this to come off. What's the best way to clean/treat? Should I use something like Scratch X on it? I'm not sure if the issue with the clear coat or the clear bra that on it.

View attachment 219119

Before this happened, was your vehicle washed/cleaned/polished with some special shampoo/car polish etc (uhm)

It could be that what ever was in the shampoo/car polish etc has reacted with the elements causing this to happen.

Last edited:

View attachment 219119

Looking closer at the picture, I’m thinking the shadow like area above the center of the staining might be were something got spilled. It seems to match the pattern of the drip marks. Something either acidic or alkaline but it may have affected your clear coat. This could be the result of vandalism.

Definitely have a paint person look at this. If he or she determines that someone did this on purpose then it would be covered by your comprehensive insurance.

I think it can be corrected but let a pro do it.

To me it looks like you parked the vehicle under a roof that was leaking something that was not plain water. Do you park on a basement? A professional car detailed should be able to correct it.

Thanks for all the great information. I wanted to provide some feedback to some of the question ask.

1. What does the residue feel like? It just smooth no real feeling, like a left over stain.
2. Before this happened, was your vehicle washed/cleaned/polished with some special shampoo/car polish? No, I notice it after a car wash to remove salt from it after last snow we got.
3. We had some reports of people having gas siphon out of their car that park out at work. I really didn't notice and large change in gas.
4. I'm on having something looking at this weekend.

Last edited:
Most probable cause of that would be hard water deposits. Basically water was left to dry there and left behind minerals that are either etching or staining the clear coat. There are several hard water spot removers on the market. Stoners invisible glass hard water spot remover, Meguiars water spot remover and Mothers water spot remover all shouldn't be too hard to find locally at parts stores or perhaps Walmart or similar. The water spot removers may do the trick but it is also likely that you will need to buff that area a bit if the minerals have etched the clear a bit. Try something like Meguiars M205 or Ultimate polish with a light buffing pad on a Dual Action Polisher. Any detailer that knows what they are doing should be able to help you our as well.

Just my 2 cents:
Wash.
If that fails Clay
If that fails Scratchx
If that still fails a strong polish or compound.

Mostly seems like chemical deposits.

Just my 2 cents:
Wash.
If that fails Clay
If that fails Scratchx
If that still fails a strong polish or compound.

Mostly seems like chemical deposits.

I would do this:
Wash.
If that fails Clay.
NOT Scratch-X it

Check with a paint expert (body shop, auto paint, ect )
If damage requires pro help then like Puyapim said get insurance to cover it. If insurance determines you tried repairing it yourself they may not cover it.

I read something similar about white stain coming from the side mirrors. Something about corrosion (normal?) occurring inside/behind the mirror assembly and dripping down the door leaving a chemical stain. The fix was apparently to change a gasket to redirect the drip into the door.

I agree with ijaen. Looks like mineral deposits from parking in a garage where water leeches through the cement and it drips onto the paint and solidifies. If this is the case, just use white distilled vinegar, dilute it in half, and pour some onto the stain. It should dissolve with some very light finger pressure, and that way will not damage your paint or cause scratches/swirls. Then rinse off the vinegar. If you don't believe me just try a tiny dab of vinegar.

Back