Random Wrench?

Mazda_TX

:
2017 Mazda CX-5 GT-P AWD
My 2017 CX-5 currently has 4600 easy miles. Oil life reads 6000 miles, dealer scheduled maintenance interval set to 7500 miles.

Upon starting it up the other day, an orange wrench was displayed with the message "Maintenance required in 457 miles". On subsequent startups, the message was not displayed.

A glitch perhaps? I shouldn't require service until 7500 miles unless I'm mistaken...

Was your odometer 4543 when the reminder said service due in 457 miles? If so, the maintenance interval is set to 5000, which I think is the tire rotation schedule. I just do the rotation with the oil change.

Was your odometer 4543 when the reminder said service due in 457 miles? If so, the maintenance interval is set to 5000, which I think is the tire rotation schedule. I just do the rotation with the oil change.

I can't recall the exact number, but I recall it not tallying 5000 exactly. None of my maintenance intervals are set to 5,000 miles.

I can't recall the exact number, but I recall it not tallying 5000 exactly. None of my maintenance intervals are set to 5,000 miles.
Have you made your first oil change yet? How long have you owned your CX-5?

Not yet. At 4600 miles, I wouldn't expect to. I took delivery on December 27th.
It's suspicious that your oil life monitor showing 6,000 miles at 4300-mile odometer reading. This's equivalent to 80% of oil life left on my 2016 flexible schedule. This number is highly unlikely for your 2017 CX-5's flexible oil change schedule which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. I suspect somehow your maintenance monitor got reset at least on "Oil Change" part, or encountered some glitches. My 2016 CX-5 says "Oil change due" with wrench indicator if the reminder is from flexible oil change monitor. But your "Maintenance required in 457 miles" message from 2017 CX-5 could be caused by any of the "Scheduled", "Tire Rotagion"、or "Oil Change" schedules. You should see dual messages such as "Oil change due" but also "Service Due in 457 mi.".

BTW, I'd suggest you changing your factory oil a little earlier than 7,500 miles as the car had been sitting in the lot for a while with factory-filled oil which means it's very easy to reach scheduled 12-month time interval.

BTW, I'd suggest you changing your factory oil a little earlier than 7,500 miles as the car had been sitting in the lot for a while with factory-filled oil which means it's very easy to reach scheduled 12-month time interval.

My CX-5 has a build date of 8/2017, so I should hit 7500 mi before then (drive)

I'm guessing the wrench popping up so soon was a glitch. I can report back if I see it again. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Every one of those maintenance intervals are adjustable. Check your maintenance intervals in the settings section.

Every one of those maintenance intervals are adjustable. Check your maintenance intervals in the settings section.
Flexible schedule for oil change is not adjustable. You can only reset it to start over. That's why I believe OP's wrench indicator was triggered by flexible oil change monitor. Unfortunately OP couldn't tell both messages which should be displayed at the same time. On the other hand, the messages should be kept and displayed again and again. That leads me to think it's a one time glitch.

All intervals are set to 7,500 miles. This is why I'm confused.
In theory, your "Oil change due" and "Service Due in xxx mi." dual messages would be displayed when your 2017 CX-5 has reached the maximum mileage or time interval allowed, 7,500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. Unfortunately most 2nd-gen CX-5 owners change factory oil way before that, and a few approaching the maximum interval didn't bother to follow up their observation afterwards. And I still have suspicion that somehow your flexible oil change monitor got reset at certain point, that's why your oil life is still at 6,000 miles (80%) which is unlikely when your CX-5 has been driving for 4,600 miles. Usually your oil life left showing in mileage starting at 7,500 miles counting down, in your case 1,500 miles, should be greater than actual miles driving. This's very confusion that's why I still like the old way, displaying the oil life with percent sign.

Back