Battery problems?

ijaen

:
2016 Touring CX-5 w/ 2.0 engine
Hello everyone.
Today my 2016.5 CX-5 displayed a message upon cold start about a Battery management malfunction and I-stop malfunction. Thought it could be a weak battery since it is 2.5 years old but since the car started almost as usual didn’t give it too much thought. Later today it had an hiccup at a red light and displayed a couple different messages about the TPS and DSC also having issues. I’m almost sure it is a battery related issue. Any thoughts?
ac92680a119cb929837cfeb82d084ac2.jpg
23557a2bf7724b018bc24a676101e7d9.jpg
9e7f0930ea9c8fed02624be6aeb10dec.jpg
4054fa58c6d281a0fbedb130647b9537.jpg

Batteries don’t last very long nowadays due to all the demands placed in them. Get it tested and if needed a new battery.

Mine hasn't had an error, but the batteries in these are lawnmower batteries almost. Dealership killed mine just washing it with headlights on and car off.

Mine hasn't had an error, but the batteries in these are lawnmower batteries almost. Dealership killed mine just washing it with headlights on and car off.

Dealer washed the car and engine just last week. Go figure.

Yep. It was super odd with mine, because they pulled it around to the pick-up lane, shut it off, came inside and handed me the keys, and it refused to crank when I tried...so wtf? How did they get it there in the first place? I dunno...I just know the starting in cold weather is weaker than any other car I've owned, and that when you use the power windows the headlights dim, etc. Weak batteries.

Last dealer that washed my engine later had to replace the ECU. Idiots.
I should say it was a Primera bought at 10 months old. But still with two years warranty.

Hello everyone.
Today my 2016.5 CX-5 displayed a message upon cold start about a Battery management malfunction and I-stop malfunction. Thought it could be a weak battery since it is 2.5 years old but since the car started almost as usual didnt give it too much thought. Later today it had an hiccup at a red light and displayed a couple different messages about the TPS and DSC also having issues. Im almost sure it is a battery related issue. Any thoughts?
Yoi have i-stop which requires special AGM type (expensive) batteries. We don't have i-stop here in the US. An AGM battery lasting only 2.5 years and 23,071 km seems unlikely to me. Can you read any error codes from an OBDII reader? The easiest thing to fix your problems is still a new battery. Have the battery tested like others have said, and replace it if necessary.

Batteries dont last very long nowadays due to all the demands placed in them. Get it tested and if needed a new battery.

probably...but a battery in a 2016.5 should not be failing now unless it's defective. The only battery problems I've ever had in my cars, new or old, was because of user error if I left something plugged into a charger port or left a light on or something.

My experience with these batteries is that they die fast if something is left on.

I once sat in a parking lot waiting, left it on accessory to listen to the radio and forgot to unplug my phone from the charger and damned if my battery wasn't dying and I needed to jump start the car after 45 mins - hour.

I'm honestly surprised mine has lasted 5 years.

Yoi have i-stop which requires special AGM type (expensive) batteries. We don't have i-stop here in the US. An AGM battery lasting only 2.5 years and 23,071 km seems unlikely to me. Can you read any error codes from an OBDII reader? The easiest thing to fix your problems is still a new battery. Have the battery tested like others have said, and replace it if necessary.

I ran a couple sets of diagnostics with my OBD tool and showed no stored codes even if the system shows a couple malfunctions as you can see. Weird huh?

Left the car today for a battery replacement at a cost of nearly US$400 for the battery and I-stop reprogram procedure. They will test it first though.

My experience with these batteries is that they die fast if something is left on.

I once sat in a parking lot waiting, left it on accessory to listen to the radio and forgot to unplug my phone from the charger and damned if my battery wasn't dying and I needed to jump start the car after 45 mins - hour.

I'm honestly surprised mine has lasted 5 years.

On the car all accessories shut down after 15 minutes or so, internal lights, radio, USB port...all. Highly doubt a low amp low watts phone charger can do so much harm.

Everyone reassured that these batteries while stronger to support the i-stop system they sometimes last less than regular batteries.

I noticed this one has service plugs, anyone experienced with checking the water level on these? Do they lose water like batteries a decade ago?

On the car all accessories shut down after 15 minutes or so, internal lights, radio, USB port...all. Highly doubt a low amp low watts phone charger can do so much harm.

Everyone reassured that these batteries while stronger to support the i-stop system they sometimes last less than regular batteries.

I noticed this one has service plugs, anyone experienced with checking the water level on these? Do they lose water like batteries a decade ago?
Not sure on these special i-stop AGM battery, but people have found adding distilled water from time to time is necessary for our standard Panasonic battery in CX-5. Definitely it's not a maintenance-free battery.

Ouch, $400 for an i-stop AGM battery! (boom07)

My battery isn't AGM, but its not cheap for the OE one.

https://www.thebatteryshop.co.uk/yuasa-12v-80ah-780a-efb-start-stop-battery-ybx7335-t110-8949-p.asp

The batteries have more plates closer together, and can be topped up, in fact I keep meaning to check mine. Stater motor is also designed to cope with more operations.

Not sure on these special i-stop AGM battery, but people have found adding distilled water from time to time is necessary for our standard Panasonic battery in CX-5. Definitely it's not a maintenance-free battery.

Ouch, $400 for an i-stop AGM battery! (boom07)

Good news, the dealer found nothing wrong with the battery or charging system. Everything is working as intended so they reset the ECU (lost radio stations and setup but no biggie) and reset the I-stop system and let me go without having to buy a new battery. Shocked me that they were honest enough for this.
Drove the car from the dealer a couple miles and everything seemed fine. Lets see how it goes.

Battery is covered for 3 years in UK anyway according to my dealer.

I wash the engine 2 or 3 times a year. Have as long as I can remember and it doesn’t cause any problems.

I wash the engine 2 or 3 times a year. Have as long as I can remember and it doesn’t cause any problems.

Every dealership I've ever been to does, too. The one I worked at for a year did, and I NEVER saw ANY issues related to it. You'd think if it was such a sin, we'd see issues. We didn't. Even on cars that sat on the lot for 2-3 months afterwards, no problems, so it's not something that could be insidious over time, either.

Latest posts

Back