Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transmission "lunged" in to gear. Seat belts locked.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    I went 149k on the OEM plugs in an LS1 to no I'll effect. I pulled and gapchecked one at nearly 90 and it was perfect and looked fine. Of course, that's a 10.25:1 engine (iirc) without DI, though.
    At 149k were the plugs semi-seized?

Registered Member

2014 CX-5

I was quoted about $225 to swap the plugs with OEM at dealership. Steep for sure but I plan on keeping the car for another 75,000 so I figure I should just get it done. It under CPO warranty so I'll let the dealer install just in case I get any other engine issues they will not say it was serviced improperly.

I'm hoping the engine idle, especially on startup, will be a bit smoother in addition to a bit more power. Lots of conflicting opinions on that on this forum in various threads.

Shifting seems to be fine now. Really like driving this on the windy roads near my home in CT.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by CX-5um View Post
    At 149k were the plugs semi-seized?
    Dunno. Car ran awesome and I traded it in. Still getting 27mpg and hanging with 2010 camaros.

Registered Member

CX5 2.5L AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCT View Post
    I was quoted about $225 to swap the plugs with OEM at dealership. Steep for sure but I plan on keeping the car for another 75,000 so I figure I should just get it done. It under CPO warranty so I'll let the dealer install just in case I get any other engine issues they will not say it was serviced improperly.

I'm hoping the engine idle, especially on startup, will be a bit smoother in addition to a bit more power. Lots of conflicting opinions on that on this forum in various threads.

Shifting seems to be fine now. Really like driving this on the windy roads near my home in CT.
    Plugs are $20 a piece.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Transmission "lunged" in to gear. Seat belts locked.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerCT View Post

Yep, at $32.27 MSRP each for OEM PE5R-18-110 spark plug, replacing spark plugs at dealer will cost you! If I were you I'd just order them online and replace them by myself. Just save the receipt. You can ask your Mazda dealer changing them with OEM plugs supplied by youself so that you have an official record if that's your concern. Or you can have an indy to change them with much cheaper NGK supposedly equivalent ILKAR7L11 plugs.

SkyActiv-G 2.5L in your CX-5 will sound rough during initial 30 seconds after the startup to heat up catalytic converter rapidly. And I doubt you'll feel any difference on idle even if you've spent $225 with new OEM spark plugs.

If you're really going to keep your 2014 CX-5 GT longterm, I'd suggest you asking your Mazda dealer's opinion on drain-and-fill your ATF with filter change at this stage. You should do it if they say they will.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

I've got good experience with NGK (94124) ILKAR7L11 spark plugs. They were about $15 each.

No difference from stock experienced.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5

Appreciate the info and feedback. Great to have this forum to hah things out...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12