Yep, I Bought Another 5

switz

:
2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual
Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted here for a while. I've just been racking up km's on my '08 Mazda5. I'm now sitting at 476,000km. I know, that's an unbelievably high number, but it's true. It still runs strong. The engine still uses no oil and is as reliable as anything out there. The clutch and transmission are fine. It's maybe getting harder to tug the sifter into 2nd gear, no doubt the syncro is getting worn, but once it's all warmed up it works slick.

But, it's always in the back of my mind, what if the engine goes and I'm stranded on the side of the road. My 5 owes me noting, but it would still be inconvenient as hell to get stranded hours from home in the middle of the night. So, I started looking for a replacement vehicle. The only vehicles nowadays that come close to the practicality of the 5 are either three row SUV's (Toyota Highlander, Hyundai SantaFe XL, etc...) or a mini van that isn't really very mini (Toyota Sienna etc...). I didn't' really like these options because the vehicles are larger and use significantly more fuel. Plus, the SUV's are all-wheel-drive that adds weight and complexity.

I was thinking of another 5, but Mazda, in their wisdom, quit making them. So I started looking for a used anything because new vehicles seem to be quite expensive lately! Go figure? I saw some used 5's, but they were the newer '12+ models, and I don't particularly care for the grin on the front bumper, nor the horizontal tail-lights. Then I found a used '10 Mazda5 with only 87,000km on it! I picked it up quickly for what I thought was a good price. My only regret is that it has an automatic transmission instead of a manual. Oh well, I've only awakened my passengers once as I stabbed the brake pedal with my left foot as I was getting ready to clutch for a downshift to get ready to corner (in my defense, it was the middle of the night and I had been on the road for quite a while).

When I got it, I pulled the engine dipstick. Yes, it could use an oil change. The engine oil wasn't black, but it wasn't clear either.
I pulled the transmission dipstick and it was black. Like, no red at all; black. I had both oils changed. My mechanic said that the transmission oil was definitely in need of a change, and that there were some metal bits stuck to the magnet at the bottom of the oil pan. No surprise, the vehicle spent it's whole life in the city going up and down the gears. I'm sure it rarely saw the highway. The transmission still shifts fine with the new fluid and filter. Yay. I've now put on about 5000km of mostly highway miles. Love it.

I'm just wondering what kind of life expectancy I should expect for this automatic transmission. With regular fluid changes (every 50,000km or so) is it reasonable to expect I can get another 200,000-300,000 km out of this vehicle before needing transmission work? Am I fooling myself? What do you people with automatics say?

That is some high millage on the old one.
I'd have kept it till it did stand you.... then fix and keep going. Having 1 million on the clock would have been cool to achieve.
Our CR-V is just at 450k, waiting for the 500k :)

Looking at the reported millage by others, you might be out there by your lonely self :)
I can see that you can probably get 200k more if all goes good but I'd add a small oil cooler for the tranny in hopes to extend the life.

Congrats on the new vehicle.

I always follow your posts on the mileage thread, although you have the MT.

I bought my car brand new and all miles are thus put on by me.

I am glad you got the AT so I can follow your journey.

My AT has 96,000 trouble free miles, which is 154,000 KM.

I have changed the trans fluid at 60K miles (96k KM) , and again at 90Kmiles (144k KM). I don't plan to do it again.

I am hoping it lasts 150K miles (242k KM).

Welcome back (though you never left, eh?). Sounds like you take on a lot of miles. If travel over 65MPH/105KHM, you will LOVE the taller 5th gear in the auto. If you take on a lot of HYW, the auto will last just find since it is not shifting. Keep the fluid clean (frequent changes and/or add a filter). Worn fluid = inefficient lubrication/heat protection = gradual mechanical wear = slow particle build-up/clog shift solenoids and torque converter = accelerated wear/tear = problems. Downside, you will notice the power loss in the auto due to drivetrain. I went from an '08 Sport MT to '08 GT auto - humongous difference between the two trims, IMO.

IF they make the '09-'10 with the +'12's 2.5 I4 and 6speed MT, I'd stay with a Mazda 5 for many years.

That's about what I figured. Since I spend a lot of time on the highway, there shouldn't be as much wear and tear on the transmission if it isn't constantly changing gears like it would if it solely lived in the city. I will stay on top of changing the transmission fluid and filter regularly as well. If this transmission is built like the rest of the 5, it'll be built to last as well. :)

Silentnoise713, I do like the fact that the automatic has the rev's down to about 2400 at 100km/h as opposed to 2950 with the manual. I don't believe it, but this '10 with the automatic is getting better fuel economy than my '08 with the manual. The '08 would usually get 8.5-9.0L/100km, but the '10 is regularily getting 8.0-8.5! Wow, I know! I love it!

Oh, and Vasy, I AM keeping the old one for daily run-around-town type duties. The '08 is still worth more to me than what I could sell it for. The new one will basically be the long-distance highway machine. I do, want to get the old one to 500,000km (I think 1-million km is unrealistic) just to say I did. I won't get there as soon as I would have if I hadn't purchased the new one though. But 90210, I'll keep everyone updated as time goes on. I'd like to attach a photo of the odometer to a post, but my technological ability is limited ... maybe I'll learn over time.

Silentnoise713, I do like the fact that the automatic has the rev's down to about 2400 at 100km/h as opposed to 2950 with the manual. I don't believe it, but this '10 with the automatic is getting better fuel economy than my '08 with the manual. The '08 would usually get 8.5-9.0L/100km, but the '10 is regularily getting 8.0-8.5! Wow, I know! I love it!

Interesting, I get about 12.5 in the city and 10-11 on Highway with my 12/auto.

Wholly crap Vasy, that's poor fuel economy for a 5! 12.5L/100km in the city I can see, but 10-11 on the highway is poor at best. I only get those numbers when it's -30C out, and then it's still not that bad on the highway. The fuel economy numbers I mentioned for my 5's are basically lifetime averages. (Yes, I'm a nerd and record every fill-up)

I recently borrowed a Silverado 1500 base stripo 2wd pickup with the 4.3L V6, put on about 750km of highway driving, and still averaged 11.5L/100km. I notice your location is Vancouver. Is it the hills that're raising your fuel usage so much?

I get 24.5MPG (USA GALLON) in my 2012. 60% city (very high elevation up and down), 40% city, at 80MPH. Full time roof rack, and 4 bike rack in rear .

Back