Cross bars and hitch

:
2010 Mazda 5
I ordered the roof cross bars and a hitch last week from Amazon. The bars will be in tomorrow and will go on this weekend I hope. Hitch will be in next week and go on when I have time.

I am also looking at a trailer wiring harness for lights for my cargo tray and small utility trailer. The install looks fairly easy.

Has anyone but a trailer brake controller on? It might look cool to pull up to an autocross event with a Miata on a trailer behind a CX-9 instead of an excursion. If I can stay under the weight limit.

I have installed both the hitch, wiring and brake controller. Took me about 9 hours start to finish, wires coming into the trunk, running inside the vehicle along the existing wiring harness and out the front rubber boot behind the battery. Two automatic circuit breakers are installed on the drivers side under the rubber curtain hanging down from the fender and then running to the battery. I installed the actual brake controller under the dash, just clip it in and connect the wiring when I need it.

I did get the OEM wiring harness from Mazda for the light connections and got the actual wiring harness kit from etrailer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

The trailer wiring harness came in today. About a week after ordering. BAM is faster though Amazon but they have a lot more selection on their own site.

I got to get everything installed this weekend. Unless my family has other ideas.

I got all three installed today. Took about 2.5 hrs.

I can say the hitch went on easier after I backed up on my ramps.

The trailer wiring is easy but you have to take out a lot of stuff behind the third row.

The cross bars would be easy if you could get to the screws with a torque wrench. I had the exact setup they called for and could not keep the T30 in the head of the screw. The front had a little more room than the back. I never got any to the 8 nm spec that I know of.

Back