CX-5 Oil filter specs?

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
Interested in the OEM specs for the Mazda CX5 oil filter specs. I want to compare those specs to the FRAM Ultra 6607. Flow rates and efficiency are the two interesting specs for me. Ed

Oil filter specs?

Nobody knows but here is Mazda North American Operations' PDF to their US Mazda dealers concerning genuine oil filter's installation on SkyActiv-G engines:

Here is one MNAO PDF to their US Mazda Dealers concerning genuine Oil Filter(s) installation and use for ALL SA Engines..
Mazda Dealers (in USA particularly) are also seeing stored DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes in PCM) when they use even 'other' genuine Mazda oil filters in Skyactiv engines, see pic, they look identical, but it is what is inside.

attachment.php

Here is product specifications on Wix 57002 which is custom made for Mazda SkyActiv-G engines and it should have similar specs as Mazda "high-flow" OEM oil filters such as PE01-14-302A:

Part Number: 57002
UPC Number: 765809570023
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 2.827 (72)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.685 (68)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 11-14
Nominal Micron Rating: 15
( )* denotes metric

And here is product specifications on Wix 51365 which is equivalent to Mazda conventional OEM oil filter B6Y1-14-302A:

Part Number: 51365
UPC Number: 765809513655
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube/Transmission
Type: Full Flow
Media: Enhanced Cellulose
Height: 2.58 (66)*
Outer Diameter Top: 2.69 (68)*
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=6/20
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 21
( )* denotes metric

We can see how different these 2 oil filters are on specs although both can "fit" onto several different engines.

Interested in the OEM specs for the Mazda CX5 oil filter specs. I want to compare those specs to the FRAM Ultra 6607. Flow rates and efficiency are the two interesting specs for me. Ed

For skyactiv engines, you're looking at the wrong specs. You want:

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 11-14 = Yes
Filters marketing specifically for Skyactiv engines = Yes
Anti-Drain Back Valve = No

In contrast That Fram filter:

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 11-14 = No
Filters marketing specifically for Skyactiv engines = No, universal spec to satisfy many makes/models
Anti-Drain Back Valve = Yes

You options are simple. Go with what is designed for a skyactiv engine...or not.

You might get better answers over on BITOG.

BTW, I run a M1 108A EP filter that meets the specs for my 17 CX5.

Opinions for this new filter that fits skyactiv NA engines?

PurolatorBOSS Maximum protection up to 15,000 miles part# PBL14612

O.D. 2.69
Height 2.93
Relief Valve P.S.I. 14-18
Threads M20x1.5
Type of Filter Spin-on Oil Filter
Anti-Drain Valve= Yes

I think it would be absolutely fine. This forum tends to be pro OEM though and anti-anti drain valve (if you know what I mean lol!).

I think it would be absolutely fine. This forum tends to be pro OEM though and anti-anti drain valve (if you know what I mean lol!).
I have different opinion. If all of those one-size-fit-all after-market oil filters are absolutely fine, why Mazda, who is very cost cautious, wants to design 3 different oil filters for 1.5L、SA-G 2.0L/2.5L、and SA-G 2.5T which definitely costs money?

Its not just if the anti-drain valve is needed, as 3 OEM oil filters I mentioned all dont have this due to filter orientation. Its other specs which matters.

And there it is. Most car forums have this illusion that their particular engine is special and requires a special filter with special oil, etc etc or catastrophe will strike. I'll keep running my BITOG highly regarded Mobil1 and NAPA Platinum "one-size-fits-all" filters that the manufacturer stands behind compatibility wise, you keep doing strictly OEM. First one that has the engine grenade due to an oil filter failure buys the other a steak dinner :D

Last edited:
Why? I just looked up that FRAM Ultra 6607 and it costs $1-$2 more than a Thailand made OEM filter.

I scored my NAPA Platinums for $4 a piece and I get the Mobil1 filters for $5 with oil rebates. I'm not saying you should pay more for aftermarket, lol. I'd prefer the FRAM Ultra to the PurolatorBOSS. Efficiency of the FRAM is much better at 20 microns than the BOSS filter. I had to find the filtration specs on BITOG for the BOSS and its supposedly 99% at 40 microns, 50% at 20 microns whereas the FRAM is 99% at 20 I believe.

Last edited:
I scored my NAPA Platinums for $4 a piece and I get the Mobil1 filters for $5 with oil rebates. I'm not saying you should pay more for aftermarket, lol. I'd prefer the FRAM Ultra to the PurolatorBOSS. Efficiency of the FRAM is much better at 20 microns than the BOSS filter. I had to find the filtration specs on BITOG for the BOSS and its supposedly 99% at 40 microns, 50% at 20 microns whereas the FRAM is 99% at 20 I believe.

I believe those NAPAs are repackaged WIX filters aren't they? If so, good deal. The Wix 57002 was made for Skyactiv 2.5L NA.

I believe those NAPAs are repackaged WIX filters aren't they? If so, good deal. The Wix 57002 was made for Skyactiv 2.5L NA.

Okay I double checked and PurolatorBOSS part# PBL14612 is an actual universal filter. Probably nothing wrong but those of us whom want exact specs....yeah OEMs or the ones you mentioned are the options. Napa gold and Wix 57002 are the same.

Guys, don't overthink it, a filter - is a filter. As long as it's compatible and bypass valve's pressure is within specs - it'll do. I would avoid anything from FRAM though - worst crap ever made - regardless of the price point.

I'm on my second half-dozen of OEM's from Amazon, my wife's 2'nd gen Mazda 3 lives perfectly happy on Quaker's and so did my previous Mazda 6.

Here are different oil filters listed for some Mazda vehicles:

OEM:
Mazda2 1.5L - B6Y1-14-302A
Mazda CX-5 2.5L - PE01-14-302A / 1WPE-14-302 / PE01-14-302A-MV
Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T - PY8W-14-302

FRAM Ultra Synthetic:
Mazda2 1.5L - XG6607
Mazda CX-5 2.5L - XG6607
Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T - XG6607

Mobil 1 Extended Performance:
Mazda2 1.5L - M1-108 / M1-108A
Mazda CX-5 2.5L - M1-108 / M1-108A
Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T - M1-108 / M1-108A

Obviously both FRAM and Mobil 1 oil filters are one-size-fit-all while Mazda OEM oil filters have different specs for different engine requirements.

Here is an official document from Mazda North American Operations stated that don't mix OEM oil filter used on Mazda2, although it looks similar, with CX-5 SkyActiv-G engine althiough aftermarket filters usually use only one to fit all:

Just want to throw this in here, DO NOT use a non genuine Oil Filter in any Skyactiv Engine, diesel or gasoline.
These oil filters are specifically made and designed for Mazda by Tokyo Roki.
Non genuine oil filters do not have the correct by pass and flow rating.

Using the incorrect Oil Filter can also throw up DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes, 'CEL' light on dash)

See PDF from Mazda USA ( for SA-G)

Since the original pdf file is an attachment and has been missing for a while after our server update, I took a screen shot and post it here:

attachment.php

View attachment 221254

Yeah I don't believe using those one-size-fit-all after-market oil filters would damage the engine in the short term ior may be in the long run. But I certainly won't use them just to save a dollar or two as the saving here is very minimum.

Mazdas notice makes absolute sense, thanks for sharing again. The Mazda 2 had a tiny little filter that is not up to the task of the SkyActiv engines. That being said, there's no reason the SkyActiv filter couldn't work on the Mazda 2.

Yeah I don't overthink the filter, I just have always noticed that the aftermarkets around here are more expensive than me ordering the OEM filters and the OEM filters are of excellent quality (Thailand made ones).

Mazdas notice makes absolute sense, thanks for sharing again. The Mazda 2 had a tiny little filter that is not up to the task of the SkyActiv engines. That being said, there's no reason the SkyActiv filter couldn't work on the Mazda 2.
No, OEM B6Y1-14-302A for Mazda2 has exactly the same size as those OEM oil filters used by SkyActiv-G engines like the Mazda notice said. Also remember many one-size-fit-all after-market oil filters such as Mobil 1 M1-108 / M1-108A were on the market for 2012~2013 Mazda2 even before SkyActiv-G came out. This makes me believe their specs don't meet the SA-G OEM filters which came out later.

302A MV filters shipped to the door for $3 a piece. Work as good as anything else out, at over half the price. One of these and 5qts of synthetic and be on your way not worrying about a thing.

302A MV filters shipped to the door for $3 a piece. Work as good as anything else out, at over half the price. One of these and 5qts of synthetic and be on your way not worrying about a thing.
Wow, would you mind to give us the source of this $3 OEM Value oil filter?

Back