CX-5 Oil filter specs?

Not gonna flame you, but I feel like I do have to point out that you over-paid by almost a factor of two.

I know...dont remind me! Lol!

I couldnt find anyone that was selling these made in Japan filters at the $7-8 retail price. From what Ive been able to deduce, these filters are getting harder and harder to find and the people that have them are aware of that. Accordingly, theyre not letting them go...and if they are theyre asking a premium for them!

Maybe I should be happy I got a turbo? I mean... for yet another reason.

I just got three filters from Avondale for $27.

I know...don*t remind me! Lol!

I couldn*t find anyone that was selling these made in Japan filters at the $7-8 retail price. From what I*ve been able to deduce, these filters are getting harder and harder to find and the people that have them are aware of that. Accordingly, they*re not letting them go...and if they are they*re asking a premium for them!

The Thai filters are fine. I wouldn't go out of your way to overpay for the Japanese ones. If you get an oil change at the dealer, they use the Thai filters.

The value line filters are technically fine too, but noticeably less quality (notice I didn't say bad)vthan the Thai filter and seems to be somewhat inconsistent in sizing from filter to filter. While I wouldn't be too concerned if I got stuck with one (I did use a value line filter on one change, it did fine), I'll choose a Thai filter or Wix 57002 over it as long as those options are available.

Last edited:
If you get an oil change at the dealer, they use the Thai filters.
No, Mazda dealers will use cheaper OEM Mexican "Value" oil filter as the default unless you specify Thai filter and pay a little more.

No, Mazda dealers will use cheaper OEM Mexican "Value" oil filter as the default unless you specify Thai filter and pay a little more.

No, all dealers are not created equal. I'm sorry that there seem to be a lot of crappy Mazda dealers out there, but my dealer uses the Thai filter as it's default and they use Valvoline oil unless you request (or provide) something else.

No, all dealers are not created equal. I'm sorry that there seem to be a lot of crappy Mazda dealers out there, but my dealer uses the Thai filter as it's default and they use Valvoline oil unless you request (or provide) something else.
Yes, each dealer operates independently. I wont be surprised your dealer is doing the way you said. But I have to say even if a Mazda dealer uses cheaper Value oil filter, they did nothing wrong as the Value filter is Mazda approved OEM parts with proven quality.

Yes, each dealer operates independently. I wont be surprised your dealer is doing the way you said. But I have to say even if a Mazda dealer uses cheaper Value oil filter, they did nothing wrong as the Value filter is Mazda approved OEM parts with proven quality.

Bingo.

Not the ones here that I used to use (3 of them). I never specified which to use, they were always the Thai filters.

Guess there isn't consistency there.

I ordered a 3 pack of the Japanese PY8W-14-302 filters from Amazon yesterday for around $28 delivered. They include 3 of the drain plug washers as well. That should last me for oil changes through the end of next year. Oil is easy to find but I figured it was a good idea to lay in a small supply of the correct filters.

I got 3 of the PY8W-14-302 with washers from my dealer for $23. It would be worth $5 not to drive across town.

I got 3 of the PY8W-14-302 with washers from my dealer for $23. It would be worth $5 not to drive across town.
That's a good price getting from a Mazda dealer!

For the 2.5L NA....have the differences between the Mexican, Thai, and Japanese oil filters been documented on this forum?

I have all three "in hand" and there are several obvious physical differences. I didn't want to repeat information that may be considered "old" common knowledge.

For the 2.5L NA....have the differences between the Mexican, Thai, and Japanese oil filters been documented on this forum?

I have all three "in hand" and there are several obvious physical differences. I didn't want to repeat information that may be considered "old" common knowledge.

Repeat all you want BECAUSE like you said : There are obvious physical differences between the three. There are night and day differences among the three. Yes they are all OEM Mazda filters but that is not the point of discussion here. So if anyone thinks that all three are the same in quality JUST because they are all OEM, save your keystrokes because they are not. Please compare away ChuckyVee !

Repeat all you want BECAUSE like you said : There are obvious physical differences between the three. There are night and day differences among the three. Yes they are all OEM Mazda filters but that is not the point of discussion here. So if anyone thinks that all three are the same in quality JUST because they are all OEM, save your keystrokes because they are not. Please compare away ChuckyVee !

Haha! Will do!

I need to get take some pictures first because as they say, "they're worth a thousand words"!

Back