Mazdspeed Protege #1145 build / fix log

Dpwhitehead1

Damian
Contributor
:
MSP 1145
Hello all, for the very scarce amount of members still roaming around. I decided to sell MSP 935 after it's back to stock equipment in favor of this cleaner/ less abused car.

I'm attempting to get this car running/driving by June as I've plans to meet with Mr.323, Philip! (wiggle)

Couldn't be more excited to find a worthy contender to replace 935 and the white LX.
So far I have purchased a built block with JDM cam, Corksport FMIC, Corksport 3" Exhaust, Pope 3" downpipe and a few other goodies. I've been working on 4 proteges at the same time and it's a bit frustrating, and also the reason things take too long.

I've had a bunch of parts powder coated at a local coater RC Hotcoats, someone who I may be going into business with. I might bring back Exile Motorsports. But for now, this is about MSP 1145, appropriately named Exile.

Sit back and enjoy, pictures are coming soon.

This is a slow build lmao.
Ive been building my parts supply for this recently.
-MAM sleeper manifold, new turbo, AN fittings for many different things: coolant/fuel/power steering, auto power roll cage, 505 V3 Intake manifold,etc.
I sold my Pope DP in favor of building a v-band flange exhaust since my turbo is v-band. If you follow my Instagram you can see pics of these things. Ill try and get some up here.

Thought I*d share something.. it*s been a few months and while there haven*t been any real updates, things are happening.

I had the radiator AN connections welded on -16AN. There*s 2 on the rad, and one on the t-stat housing, one on the coolant housing. Need to have some things powder coated.

One thing I*m really excited about is....

2XYLy4n.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2XYLy4n.jpg

Last edited:
met up with this guy for a meal over the weekend as he picked up his painted whip

img_3209-XL.jpg

img_3210-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I got delivery of a CX Racing EVO FMIC core. My Corksport core got a little messed up and I've always loved the Evo front end. It's big.
Also purchased a Hydra Motorsports lightweight crank pulley, so waiting on that.

Also, this build is taking forever, I know.. but I also just welcomed my first child, Lucy Anne to this world. Philip(323) is coming by next weekend to hang, so I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures to show up here!

Didnt know people actually used this forum anymore hehe. I follow you on Instagram and I'm eagerly waiting to see some more progress. I'm digging the new color and im gonna be following this build here now. That parts list is gonna make for a quick MSP. Keep the updates coming!

it's sad no one uses forums anymore. i miss the build threads, the pictures, and the usernames lol.

It is sad indeed. I remember spending hours on this forum as a teen, back when the protege scene was bumpin. This is where I learned most of the things I know about the protege. You never know it might become popular again. Definitely needs to be promoted through social media a little more I think. It's just easier making a post on facebook and people respond instantly. But the info is usually garbage unfortunately. Until then I will try and be a little more active myself

it's pretty hard to navigate through the replies and sub replies as well. plus everyone's name is brian or cody lolol

Congrats on the baby man!
Kinda why my car isnt on the burners to get redone. 4 kiddos and new house. Kinda makes priorities change

Congrats on the baby man!
Kinda why my car isnt on the burners to get redone. 4 kiddos and new house. Kinda makes priorities change
Thanks so much Scott. It's been an experience to say the least. I couldn't be happier.

Didnt know people actually used this forum anymore hehe. I follow you on Instagram and I'm eagerly waiting to see some more progress. I'm digging the new color and im gonna be following this build here now. That parts list is gonna make for a quick MSP. Keep the updates coming!
323 and I and a few others have been trying to get this thing back to where it was... it will never be. the protege/p5 platform is all but dead, unfortunately. There are a few of us still kicking, and I will make this a fun thread someday. lol.

That*s good man! Glad to hear it. It*s definitely something that will change you and your thinking. Enjoy every minute of it.

Back