Paint Chips?

:
Mazda, 2017 cx-5, GT
My 17 cx5 got lots of paint chips recently, as I am in Canada here and lots of rocks on the road from winter and hit the car I believe.

Is this normal or Mazda's paint not very good quality? As most these dots just lost paint but no pit/dent.

The paint is just thin. Unless you do something to protect it like a clear bra or something, yeah you're going to get paint chips.

Edit: To agree with B-n-B, yeah, that's most new cars these days.

Last edited:
The paint is just thin. Unless you do something to protect it like a clear bra or something, yeah you're going to get paint chips.

Yeah definitely, every car will get these. Just remember my old mazda 3 have lots of hail damage dent but the paint still there (had the rust issue though).

Wondering if you guys will do anything for that? Buy a touch paint pen?

Depends on your paint color. Some pens are okay, others suck. Mazda paint is very "flakey" and hard to touch up.

My CX5 chipped a ton but never deep enough to get rust spots.

Yeah definitely, every car will get these. Just remember my old mazda 3 have lots of hail damage dent but the paint still there (had the rust issue though).

Can do that, but depending on the color, may have problems matching it up (Soul Red for example).

Edit: Will agree with B-n-B again. I have a ton of small chips to my hood, no rust or anything. Can try the touch-up if you have an easy color to do it with. But to prevent more chips in the future, will have to get some kind of protection.

Last edited:
Depends on your paint color. Some pens are okay, others suck. Mazda paint is very "flakey" and hard to touch up.

My CX5 chipped a ton but never deep enough to get rust spots.

yeah, I had a OEM pen before from Mazda but the color seems not the same from factory, even it shows the correct color on the pen.

My pen for my black mica 3 was mostly gray...

I have a Black Mica pen, but have not actually tried it out yet (correctly anyway). Will have to take a look as there is one spot on my passenger side door that got wacked pretty deep by an aspen tree branch. I should really touch it up.

Dr. Colorchip is your best bet. Used it on my pearl white CX-5 with great results and even matched great on my Machine Gray one for the chips I get on areas that aren't covered with the clear bra.

I have a Black Mica pen, but have not actually tried it out yet (correctly anyway). Will have to take a look as there is one spot on my passenger side door that got wacked pretty deep by an aspen tree branch. I should really touch it up.

You can always test your pen on some paper or cardboard. I found a black sharpie marker was better at masking the chips. Not exact, but was better than the pen.

Went over my car with a fine tooth comb. Wow. Pretty disappointed. I have to agree either Mazdas paint is bad or I got a bad paint job. The area behind the door handle is so scratched I'm just in shock. Don't open doors wearing a ring people....

I don't let the paint detract from my enjoyment of the car as it is only noticeable up close, but yeah, it's definitely thin and chips easy.

My 17 cx5 got lots of paint chips recently, as I am in Canada here and lots of rocks on the road from winter and hit the car I believe.

Is this normal or Mazda's paint not very good quality? As most these dots just lost paint but no pit/dent.

What color is your car? There have been many instances reported here of Soul Red Crystal being particularly prone to chipping.

Edit: To agree with B-n-B, yeah, that's most new cars these days.

I'll never understand why people keep writing off this paint defect as normal wear and tear. Mazda has acknowledged this issue, and has began replacing hoods for many customers (including myself). After my hood was replaced, I no longer received a new chip every week. In fact, I haven't received any paint chips since it was replaced.

For those who keep bringing up the color matching concern, it's a baseless concern. The body shop matched the color perfectly on my car. Body shops do this on a daily basis anytime are car is in a accident.

This issue has been discussed in depth on this thread.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861887-2017-CX-5-Soul-Red-Crystal-Metallic

You're definitely not alone on this. Contact Mazda customer service (not a dealership) and give them details on how many chips you have, and when they started appearing. Best of luck!

Yeah but have they only acknowledged that for Gen 2s?

Mines a 2014. Doubt I'm getting a new hood and front bumper lol.

I'll never understand why people keep writing off this paint defect as normal wear and tear. Mazda has acknowledged this issue, and has began replacing hoods for many customers (including myself). After my hood was replaced, I no longer received a new chip every week. In fact, I haven't received any paint chips since it was replaced.

For those who keep bringing up the color matching concern, it's a baseless concern. The body shop matched the color perfectly on my car. Body shops do this on a daily basis anytime are car is in a accident.

This issue has been discussed in depth on this thread.
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123861887-2017-CX-5-Soul-Red-Crystal-Metallic

You're definitely not alone on this. Contact Mazda customer service (not a dealership) and give them details on how many chips you have, and when they started appearing. Best of luck!

Thanks, did you just contact Mazda customer service?

Back