The unreliable Mazda ?

Personally, I think Honda has the bigger worry than Mazda.
The CR-V is gonna look like junk next to this new RAV.
Honda also has the oil dilution issue with the 1.5l turbo to deal with. Buh bye Honda.

Doubt it, the CRV has it's 'practicality'(i.e cargo space/interior space) niche going for it, Subaru has it's 'AWD' niche. Mazda doesn't have any kind of niche going for it. It's going to be behind in the pack in everything except for maybe fuel economy once the HCCI engine is used.

Doubt it, the CRV has it's 'practicality'(i.e cargo space/interior space) niche going for it, Subaru has it's 'AWD' niche. Mazda doesn't have any kind of niche going for it. It's going to be behind in the pack in everything except for maybe fuel economy once the HCCI engine is used.

Honda and Toyota have a running head start on Mazda in the crossover dept. However the word is getting out as CX5 sales are up 75% YTD. Mazda May never catch up but they have their niche and they are growing it.

well objectively mazda does have the edge in handling but subjectively you could argue it's the best looking CUV (especially gen2) and another subjective argument is that it the CRV and RAV4 both have CVTs. For practicality reasons there's no better choice than the CRV. It does feel like Mazda itself is a niche brand but their new premium mentality is really what's going to separate their vehicles from the rest.

omg! Multi terrain select!

giphy.gif

:facepalm: To hell with 'Multi Terrain Select". Are you serious right now? Jeep has that. Pass. I shouldn't have to think about what my AWD is doing. Y'know, like a Subaru. Exactly a reason to NOT buy a 'Yota.
'Yota? Really? Do people call them that? Bwahahaha

Says the guy with "Sport Mode" in his 185ish bhp 3500ish pound SUV...

well objectively mazda does have the edge in handling but subjectively you could argue it's the best looking CUV (especially gen2) and another subjective argument is that it the CRV and RAV4 both have CVTs. For practicality reasons there's no better choice than the CRV. It does feel like Mazda itself is a niche brand but their new premium mentality is really what's going to separate their vehicles from the rest.

RAV4 has an 8-speed...unless you get the Hybrid, which is CVT, and supposedly it's faster and it has a sport tuned suspension.

Trade in values should also be compared to what the vehicle cost to begin with. Toyota’s are more expensive up front, especially the higher trims. So your “difference “means very little Uno.

The CX5 cost a few hundred less...and that widened to $3-4K on the back end 3 years later for trade value.

That said, my words were spoken in anger. As soon as I get a RAV4, Subaru will have a redesigned WRX, and then the Corvette will go AWD a few years later, and...I'll always have a damn note. So I'm not going to do it. I'm going to dump my WRG3's and get some Altimax's that aren't loud AF and wear visibly on one road-trip, replace the brakes, and motor on and hope it doesn't die like a dog at 120K miles.

The CX5 cost a few hundred less...and that widened to $3-4K on the back end 3 years later for trade value.

That said, my words were spoken in anger. As soon as I get a RAV4, Subaru will have a redesigned WRX, and then the Corvette will go AWD a few years later, and...I'll always have a damn note. So I'm not going to do it. I'm going to dump my WRG3's and get some Altimax's that aren't loud AF and wear visibly on one road-trip, replace the brakes, and motor on and hope it doesn't die like a dog at 120K miles.

Decided you didn't like the WRG3's?

And why would it die like a dog at 120k miles? Honestly Uno, I think you are being overly worried and over thinking the whole thing. Your bluetooth issues will be solved by either a new head unit or a different phone (any issues such as being able to download text messages have always boiled down to the phone, not the head unit for me).

Last edited:
RAV4 has an 8-speed...unless you get the Hybrid, which is CVT, and supposedly it's faster and it has a sport tuned suspension.

ah good to know, i test drove the hybrid and didn't know the other models used a regular 6 speed. I have yet to drive an 8 speed but they seem really nice. I'm going to drive my cx5 for the next 7-10 years depending on how prevalent and cheaper electric cars and charging stations will become in the future.

Decided you didn't like the WRG3's?

And why would it die like a dog at 120k miles? Honestly Uno, I think you are being overly worried and over thinking the whole thing. Your bluetooth issues will be solved by either a new head unit or a different phone (any issues such as being able to download text messages have always boiled down to the phone, not the head unit for me).

Why have they died like a dog at 60K miles? I dunno, man, I hope it doesn't, but I've never owned a car that lasted past 120K miles without a major FUBAR issue (Transmission/Diff/Engine/etc).

WRG3: Yeah, did a whole review on them.

Because that's exactly the same thing...

It's jsut as justifiable as wanting to allow a little more "slip" on asphault than on a gravel hill/snowy hill...probably less justifiable, honestly, considering darn near every real offroad vehicle offers it...

Why have they died like a dog at 60K miles? I dunno, man, I hope it doesn't, but I've never owned a car that lasted past 120K miles without a major FUBAR issue (Transmission/Diff/Engine/etc).

Whose CX-5 is dying like a dog at 60k? OK, one guy.

Hardly cause for alarm when statistically our MY's have shown to be overall very reliable.

It's jsut as justifiable as wanting to allow a little more "slip" on asphault than on a gravel hill/snowy hill...probably less justifiable, honestly, considering darn near every real offroad vehicle offers it...

A CUV is not a real off-road vehicle. It handles my old mountain driveway which was steep and twisty just like yours and very long, and all that kind of dirt road just fine.

Real off-road like trails you'd take jacked up Jeeps on is not what you should be driving ANY CUV on LOL.

Yes that's great for the 1% of the population that will take the time to figure out the difference between 'sand' and 'rock'. What if you're on sandy rocks? Or Rocky sand? ****...what do I use now?
Subarus are pretty capable off road vehicles generally speaking. They don't need a stupid switch.

WRG3: Yeah, did a whole review on them.

Just saw the thread. Guess I missed it before.

Yeah that is pretty bad tread wear. My Blizzaks are wearing better and it's been in the 70's here. All seasons go back on Friday.

For the record, I'm not hating on Mazda. I've driven them and loved them since my friend had a GLC back in the day. The Rotary pick up was the coolest thing ever. The 323GTX was an EVO or STi before Mits or Subie figure it out. The Miata saved the company and brought back a complete segment of automobile. The CX-5 sells like hotcakes and has saved Mazda as much as any other car has, and for that I love the CX-5 too.

Remember when BMW introduced the X5? It sold by the zillions and BMW used that money to make better, faster M3s and other enthusiast aimed cars. The X5 is the bread and butter and the M3 is the main course/dessert.
I think Mazda should take a note from that page. The CX-5 is a great car. Make the CX-5 a little quicker, and make em by the million. Use some of that money to build a car we enthusiasts can drool over. A new MS6? a Supercharged MX-5? A *gasp* new RX-7? SOMEthing fast and good looking?

Because that's exactly the same thing...

Eesh 7 its a pretty close relative and in my view at least a smidge more useful esp in the 2nd gen with that quicker throttle mapping. Its great at making you feel like your car is less slow but its really just a lie and that quicker gen2 stock throttle mapping is the opposite of useful in adverse conditions where low and slow is what you want. Its existence doesn't bother me but I think the throttle was fine as it was and would take things like awd lock, hill descent and even snow mode from my wife's Yota over 'sport mode' in a heartbeat.

It's becoming less about money for me as I have gained the things I want in life (house, additional land, firearm collection is pretty much complete, gaming system adequate,etc.) and I'd like something dependable, aesthetically pleasing, capable, etc. and if it lasts 400K miles, that's awesome, too! Otherwise I'd buy an EVOX or something, but I also want relatively simple and long ownership. The CX5 is just buzzy, the infotainment system gives me a headache, and I never was a fan of the looks, the AWD lacks a way to lock it. That, and I think in the long run, the RAV will save enough money to be worth the initial trade.

There you go mentioning money again, is it me or do you contradict what you previously said. "less about the money" "rav will save enough money"

Whose CX-5 is dying like a dog at 60k? OK, one guy.

Hardly cause for alarm when statistically our MY's have shown to be overall very reliable.

More than one. Certainly though, I am not going off of this forum, or any other. I am simply saying I've never owned a vehicle, JDM or American, that made 120K miles without major work. I am hoping my CX5 is an exception.

Back