The unreliable Mazda ?

4Runner is a truck for ladies. With the amount you ll spend on gas tires and awd maintenance I can keep my cx5 on road for similar miles as 4Runner at less than 20k usd. I just finished 20k miles on it with better mpg than a 13 Corolla. You can't touch that.

Sounds like the original owner got rid due to the problems, my advice is to get rid. And buy new.

A couple of months ago I bought my first Mazda, a 2016.5 CX-5. Not sure why, my 2002 Toyota had just over 80 thousand miles and had never given me any major problems (new set of tires and a brake job). Just got the new car bug and gave in. The cx-5 wasn't new but had just over 22K on the odometer, Now after two trips to the dealership, strange noises, unexplained engine surging and three recalls I fear I may have made a sixteen thousand dollar mistake. Unfortunately reading some of the comments here have not been all that reassuring.

What say you "Mazdas247" are my fears unfounded (nervous) Is the fun to drive Mazda a repair shop's dream and owners nightmare or am I worrying about nothing ?

Well I got a bad one and bought new. I am on my way this morning to now have a bad front strut / bushings replaced and a rear caliper that seized on me Saturday. It’s paid off and I will be trading it in once it’s fixed. Sad thing is someone like you will buy it and have nothing but problems. Buying a used car that is only a year or two is a risk, as it could mean there are hidden problems and the previous owner bailed before they got worse. I wouldn’t worry about the recalls as that is a good thing knowing they will be fixed at no cost.

Sounds like the original owner got rid due to the problems, my advice is to get rid. And buy new.
Well I got a bad one and bought new. I am on my way this morning to now have a bad front strut / bushings replaced and a rear caliper that seized on me Saturday. Its paid off and I will be trading it in once its fixed. Sad thing is someone like you will buy it and have nothing but problems. Buying a used car that is only a year or two is a risk, as it could mean there are hidden problems and the previous owner bailed before they got worse. I wouldnt worry about the recalls as that is a good thing knowing they will be fixed at no cost.
These are exactly the same thinking I have on OP's situation. I'd always get a cheapest new car, or save more money to get more expensive new car I really want. The old Toyota 4Runner can give him some extra reliable service years while saving money.

Weak front strut bearing and lower control arm bushings are known problems for 1st-gen CX-5. The fact that Mazda has revised these parts for replacement indicates many 1st-gen owners will face these issues eventually. It's just the matter of time.

my favorite make of cars is mercedes (i still love mazda!) but despite how well built those cars are, my (now scrapped) 2005 c class was a money sink. i wasnt able to drive more than a few thousand miles a year because all the other times it was int he shop, mostly because of electrical issues. that one experience didn't make me hate mercedes and it shouldn't let you hate mazda--it could happen to you with any brand of vehicle but mazda is indeed a reliable company and the skyactiv engines are proven now. i would talk to the dealer about your concerns and see if they can work with you. every dealership is different but the local mazda dealership near me is amazing. i was able to get mercedes corporate to discount the repairs for some of the work so it couldn't hurt to give mazda corporate a call and see if they can help you

Last edited:
my favorite make of cars is mercedes (i still love mazda!) but despite how well built those cars are, my (now scrapped) 2005 c class was a money sink. i wasnt able to drive more than a few thousand miles a year because all the other times it was int he shop, mostly because of electrical issues. that one experience didn't make me hate mercedes and it shouldn't let you hate mazda--it could happen to you with any brand of vehicle but mazda is indeed a reliable company and the skyactiv engines are proven now. i would talk to the dealer about your concerns and see if they can work with you. every dealership is different but the local mazda dealership near me is amazing

LOL. Mercedes is the pinnacle of way over engineered to the point of problematic and costly for even just maintenance items.

My 2001 4Runner eventually had a rotted rear diff, electrical gremlins and other typical signs of aging.

Still, I regret trading it in after all this time. I've spent more than $20k on cars since then, and still have more to go. I bet $3k would have fixed all my problems. Only had 105k miles on the odometer and had been paid off for years.

Looks like the primer is bonded a lot better to the car than it is to the paint.

I've had my 16 for three years now and not one problem. Just the two recalls that were fixed at the dealer when I was in for an oil change.

When were there 3 recalls? There was only the reprogramming of the airbag and replace the rear hatch hydraulic dampers.

These are exactly the same thinking I have on OP's situation. I'd always get a cheapest new car, or save more money to get more expensive new car I really want. The old Toyota 4Runner can give him some extra reliable service years while saving money.

Weak front strut bearing and lower control arm bushings are known problems for 1st-gen CX-5. The fact that Mazda has revised these parts for replacement indicates many 1st-gen owners will face these issues eventually. It's just the matter of time.

Add vacuum pump to the list, car making noise at idle. The list just keeps on growing!

I've had my 16 for three years now and not one problem. Just the two recalls that were fixed at the dealer when I was in for an oil change.

When were there 3 recalls? There was only the reprogramming of the airbag and replace the rear hatch hydraulic dampers.

Same experience with my '16, almost 3 years, 30K miles, only routine maintenance, no problems. The 3rd recall was the fuel filler pipe attachment modification (or whatever you want to call it).

Trading a Toyota, in general, for a Mazda, is a mistake, unless it's a Miata and you have a purpose in mind. Just my .02

I've had many Mazdas and a Lexus. Yes, Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles on the planet, but Mazda is not very far behind. Mazda is definitely ahead in the handling category. In fact, in every class category in which it competes, Mazda beats all comers on a consistent basis.

Same experience with my '16, almost 3 years, 30K miles, only routine maintenance, no problems. The 3rd recall was the fuel filler pipe attachment modification (or whatever you want to call it).

2014, 65.5k miles. 1 recall (liftgate), and no other issues. Certainly no major issues.

AC may need a little maintenance, but that's it.

Yep, forgot about that one. 1) Fuel filler pipe 2) Airbag 3) Liftgate.

16.5 - seems to be the purple spot. Only dealer experience has been a let down. Between Toyota and Mazda - I agree. If you are only looking for reliability then go Yota. Probability will be on your side. If you factor in materials / interior / style and driving - Mazda becomes very compelling. A CX-5 out handles a Camry SE (sports edition). That says it all.

We bought our 4runner Limited in late '11 and have had 0 problems with it. It's been jumped at Hollister Hills offroad recreation area, across deep sand beaches, through thick clay-mud and up steep slippery, rutted mountain roads in the rain. It couples to both my Andriod and my wife's iphone easily and has never even hiccuped much less left us stranded. The thing is an absolute tank and will take you places no crossover will ever go. A 4runner that breaks down at 300K miles is a lemon.

It depends on how you define "driving" I guess. (dunno)

There is a member over on BITOG that had a Mazda with over 600k on it. He also owns a couple of other Mazdas with 200k+ miles. They are out there.

Link me to this SkyActiv Mazda with over 600K! 200K is nothing though, it's a minimum standard. Even Chrysler does that.

16.5 - seems to be the purple spot. Only dealer experience has been a let down. Between Toyota and Mazda - I agree. If you are only looking for reliability then go Yota. Probability will be on your side. If you factor in materials / interior / style and driving - Mazda becomes very compelling. A CX-5 out handles a Camry SE (sports edition). That says it all.

but bro...but...it's not about numbers...it's...---All these damn CX5 owners butthurt that most minivants are faster and pull better skidpad #'s and stop faster

I've had many Mazdas and a Lexus. Yes, Toyota makes the most reliable vehicles on the planet, but Mazda is not very far behind. Mazda is definitely ahead in the handling category. In fact, in every class category in which it competes, Mazda beats all comers on a consistent basis.

Wait for the 2019 RAV4 to absolutely pummel it in every measurable category from 0-60 to fuel economy to having a real AWD system that can sent torque to individual wheels. Went by the 'Yota dealership, and screw this Mazda. I'm done. s*** resale. s*** infotainment. s*** brand image. Looks I always just put up with to get decent economy on 87 with AWD and decent reliability. Meh. I just can't do it anymore. As soon as the CPO 2019's hit the used lot...it's ova for the CX5 in my case. Mazda has a good service dept, and that means a lot to me, but not enough to keep this thing. The Toyota will actually pay for itself in holding value so that it even makes sense financially vs. keep the CX5 just so it can bottom out at $1999.95 in 8 years.

The recall you failed to mention is fuel filler pipe recall.

I had 10 problems when I brought my 2016 AWD CX-5 GT with Tech in for service just before my warranty expires. Other than 3 recalls, the major (expensive) one was LED headlights. 3 TSBs involved, the big one was rear brake calipers with EPB, so as the 9" Bose door woofers and A-pillar trim covers. The Automatic Climate Control LCD panel failed which is a $800 part, and driver-side sun visor falling been told the stripped thread can't be fixed like original and been suggested never to loose the single holding screw!

Last week a friend's 19,500-mile 2016 CX-5 GT, bought it a month after me under my suggestion, now started having flickering LED DRLs. Unfortunately his new-car warranty just expired 28 days ago and now is calling Customer Experience Center at Mazda North American Operations ⋯

Back