The unreliable Mazda ?

Skyactive

:
2016.5 CX-5 Sport
A couple of months ago I bought my first Mazda, a 2016.5 CX-5. Not sure why, my 2002 Toyota had just over 80 thousand miles and had never given me any major problems (new set of tires and a brake job). Just got the new car bug and gave in. The cx-5 wasn't new but had just over 22K on the odometer, Now after two trips to the dealership, strange noises, unexplained engine surging and three recalls I fear I may have made a sixteen thousand dollar mistake. Unfortunately reading some of the comments here have not been all that reassuring.

What say you "Mazdas247" are my fears unfounded (nervous) Is the fun to drive Mazda a repair shop's dream and owners nightmare or am I worrying about nothing ?

Nothing to worry about. Every manufacturer has recalls including Toyota. Internet forums, including this one, highlight problems. I currently have 100,250 miles on my 14 with no issues other than maintenance.

I don't know that it's either. With any make and model of cars you'll find someone that got a problem one, it's the nature of the beast with mass produced vehicles. I had a early 2016, never gave me any real problems, had the headlight issue and Mazda replaced it, but the car didn't start to bother me until I got hit by a drunk driver and basically had the whole driver's side replaced. Wasn't Mazda's issue, just was never the same again and bothered me so I pulled the trigger on upgrading since it was worth more than I owed on it. Now with my 2017 I've had for 2 months and no issues either. Is it possible you got a problem child? Yes it is, my 16 didn't have any strange noises or engine surges, and I traded it in with just under 60k miles, which is a ton for a car I owned for just over 2 years. And although this forum is ostensibly for people that love the cx-5, the people that have issues are always going to be more vocal. I have no complaints, the Mazda kept me so safe and protected in my accident that I had, zero pain from the accident, and I was hit at at least 70mph on the interstate by a guy high on something. It made me love Mazda even more. So in my opinion it's super reliable. If you got yours with a warranty keep taking it to them and have them fix and research it until it runs out, it's not ideal, and it might make you a non Mazda lover. Which I hate because I love these cars and they are so incredibly fun
83efa7d042527cffacef78e43acb1a89.jpg
ab45c68b8be86b52e3f163cbe95c70ee.jpg
f0faf3d5e8852e4b25b2a2affb06649e.jpg
d82f479301375cf25f4e3bdf52a41bed.jpg
a27e1373f8f9e3a3c735d62306bae6e5.jpg
8a0935d4025220b2a847ad723062c899.jpg
455ae7b996cce6b071103095fb04f63a.jpg

Seems you got a bad one. It must have been in an accident. Sell it asap. Take a depreciation hit otherwise it will be expensive. Skyactiv has few indy mechanics so its only dealership who will fix it. Cheapest dealer here charges 75 dollars blended rate for mechanical/body work.

Seems you got a bad one. It must have been in an accident. Sell it asap. Take a depreciation hit otherwise it will be expensive. Skyactiv has few indy mechanics so its only dealership who will fix it. Cheapest dealer here charges 75 dollars blended rate for mechanical/body work.
I agree, the issues you're having sounds more like an exception than the rule. Unfortunately it means you probably won't get another Mazda because of your experience. And just because a carfax may say there were no accidents doesn't mean there wasn't one.

Ive done a lot of research to convince myself to ditch my reliable Toyota and get a CX-5, and everything so far suggests that the current Mazda lineup is just as reliable, statistically, as Toyota/Honda.

Btw $16k USD sounds pretty cheap even for the basic Sport non-AWD. Hopefully the price didnt reflect the car having some issues...but if it did, maybe you can mentally justify having to fix a few things?

With 22k on the clock that car was used. We can guess all day why that car was in the lot with low miles but being in a accident is the first thing that comes to mind.

Even with all the Carfax info and other sources, buying a used car is a crap shoot. There are still tons of flood cars in the market stream from the hurricanes of last year.

Hopefully you can work out something.

Ive done a lot of research to convince myself to ditch my reliable Toyota and get a CX-5, and everything so far suggests that the current Mazda lineup is just as reliable, statistically, as Toyota/Honda.

Btw $16k USD sounds pretty cheap even for the basic Sport non-AWD. Hopefully the price didnt reflect the car having some issues...but if it did, maybe you can mentally justify having to fix a few things?

It is the Sport model, I used the 'True Car' site and did think I negotiate a pretty good deal. The 16k was drive out (tax/title and fees) The Carfax report (which I see here is unreliable) showed no accidents and was a one owner not a fleet vehicle. I have an appointment with the dealership tuesday to see why the engine revs with my foot on the brake and what caused a loud clanging noise and the car to lurch forward when I went from park to Drive. I have not gotten any warning light so I suspect they will tell me they don't know what the problem was.
One good thing is it's a "Certified pre owned" meaning it has an extra 12k/12 month warranty.

Ha for real. Cost 6k to repair. Even though they replaced everything instead of repairing things, the seal was never the same, at certain speeds it sounded like I had the window cracked. Made a noisy ride even noisier. Was bittersweet to trade it though as I did love it originally, but after the accident my love died some

And just because a car had some issues (recalls are not issues btw) doesn't mean it was in an accident.

A couple of months ago I bought my first Mazda, a 2016.5 CX-5. Not sure why, my 2002 Toyota had just over 80 thousand miles and had never given me any major problems (new set of tires and a brake job). Just got the new car bug and gave in. The cx-5 wasn't new but had just over 22K on the odometer, Now after two trips to the dealership, strange noises, unexplained engine surging and three recalls I fear I may have made a sixteen thousand dollar mistake. Unfortunately reading some of the comments here have not been all that reassuring.

What say you "Mazdas247" are my fears unfounded (nervous) Is the fun to drive Mazda a repair shop's dream and owners nightmare or am I worrying about nothing ?

Trading a Toyota, in general, for a Mazda, is a mistake, unless it's a Miata and you have a purpose in mind. Just my .02

I’ve done a lot of research to convince myself to ditch my reliable Toyota and get a CX-5, and everything so far suggests that the current Mazda lineup is just as reliable, statistically, as Toyota/Honda.

Btw $16k USD sounds pretty cheap even for the basic Sport non-AWD. Hopefully the price didn’t reflect the car having some issues...but if it did, maybe you can mentally justify having to fix a few things?

I don't think the data on 300K+ mile CX5's exists...

Trading a Toyota, in general, for a Mazda, is a mistake, unless it's a Miata and you have a purpose in mind. Just my .02

You may be right my 2002 4Runner was as solid as a rock now I have a vehicle I'm not so sure of. Zoom Zoom or Uh Oh ?

I have no data to back this up, but 4runners are especially reliable even for Toyota. Theyre basically work trucks turned into something a consumer would want to drive. I used to own one too and sometimes regret selling it rather than fix the minor age-related issues (sagging springs, rust).

But I dont miss the 17mpg on a good day!

Latest posts

Back