Rust

Perforation warranty covers sheet metal that has rusted through, but doesn't cover surface rust that might develop from rock chips in the paint.
I think you'll have to look long and hard to find an automaker that warrants for that. In fact, I believe you won't find one. Warranties against any kind of surface rust anywhere on the vehicle would be rare if you can find one at all.
Personally I have not done a Fluid Film treatment on my 2018 CX-9 yet. It has been through a few Canadian winters, but I have been pretty diligent about keeping the undercarriage clean. I've still got some surface rust developing (mostly on or around welds), nothing alarming though.
Yeah, that's the thing--surface rust on the underparts can accumulate for years and years without being an issue like my Honda brake calipers. When looking at the Consumer Reports ratings for CX-5s over the years based on the experiences of hundreds or thousands of owners rather than insolated anecdotal complaints, while CX-5 models have not been subject to things like the rusting brake part recall for other models, I have no concerns beyond "anything can happen" which is more an emotional reaction than an intellectual one.

The fact CX-5s have historically the best reliability or close to it among all the Mazda models, and above or above competing models, may be attributable to how many of them they build. I believe I read that more CX-5s are currently sold in the US than all of the other models combined. Practice makes perfect. Well, not perfect, but better than average bear. And being several years into the generation certainly doesn't hurt.

As an owner of a 2020 Touring with no options added, no problematic liftgate battery drains, or auto-power mirror gears going bad, or questions of turbo longevity, or any of the other anecdotal complaints that might pile up as more stuff gets added to the vehicle, I feel pretty confident of where this vehicle will eventually get me where I want to go, as confident as you can be with a highly complex piece of machinery in any case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back