Rust

:
Mazda CX-9 GT 2018 White
My new Cx-9 '17 GT first wash and found this on the roof:
20180505_155912268_i_OS.jpg

Like this other 4 additional spots also with rust scattered in the roof. I don't know where to begin. Just one month with it.

That looks terrible! There should be a warranty on the body. Take it in right away!

Last edited:
If it is rust, it'll be covered by warranty. Strong possibility that it isn't rust, though. It could be tree sap, road tar, or something like that. I thought the paint on my Lexus was rusting too, all I had to do was clay bar the area to clean off the debris, then I polished the area and applied a layer of wax. Good as new, and the "rust" never came back.

If it is rust, it'll be covered by warranty. Strong possibility that it isn't rust, though. It could be tree sap, road tar, or something like that. I thought the paint on my Lexus was rusting too, all I had to do was clay bar the area to clean off the debris, then I polished the area and applied a layer of wax. Good as new, and the "rust" never came back.

It is rust, there is no paint on those chips and paint is bubbling around it. Today I took my CX-9 to a body shop and they confirmed it was caused long before I purchased the unit. Since it is a 2017 unit, I think it was stored a long time without supervision and who knows what conditions or what really happened in that time. After visiting the body shop I drove directly to the dealer and demanded to talk to the manager. Talked to him and tomorrow they are going to investigate the issue directly including other not resolved issues. Right now I'm starting to regret my decision to buy this unit.

Including the rust this is my list of issues so far:
1. Infotainment screen (replaced because of condensations and humidity inside the screen)
2. Exterior black piano trims pillars stained and scratched by the dealer (replacements were ordered by the dealer, waiting for parts)
3. Right tweeter (Bose) not working (replacement ordered by the dealer, speaker was defective, waiting for the speaker)
4. Driver side mirror shakes like hell after 65mph, it is unusable after this speed (dealer needs to investigate the unit further)
5. Headlamps shake in all roads condition (dealer needs to investigate the unit further)
6. The instrument cluster was disassembled to remove visible and annoying dead bugs under the LCD. Now is all swirled and marked by the technician who removed it.

All of these in my first month of ownership, I exhausted.

Last edited:
I also have the same situation, but I only have one, it is also near the front windshield. Today I repaired with a paint pen. I hope it will not amplify the damage. I am mechanically gray.
And I think Mazda car paint is thin!

I also have the same situation, but I only have one, it is also near the front windshield. Today I repaired with a paint pen. I hope it will not amplify the damage. I am mechanically gray.

Yeah I think that too when I compare it with other cars. I mean, I had a BMW 328i '11 and when the paint was chipped it never reached to the metal but with Mazdas you can see it.

Unfortunately, looks like Mazda cut some corners with their paint job and body panel anti-rust treatment. :( It is not only about the paint used but how the body panels were rust protected under the paint.
Rust at such young age is unacceptable....on any modern car.

Last edited:
I had two VWs and they had thicker paint too. Maybe it’s a German thing?

Germans definitely know how to rust proof their cars. I had a number of Audi's... lots of miles on them, paint scratched, driven hard in snow and all sorts of bad weather.... not a spec of rust. There is a reason Audi gives you 10 year unlimited miles anti-corrosion warranty. I am pretty sure VW, Porsche and MB offer similar warranty on the body. Not sure about BMW. Never had one.
Now if only their electronics and other reliability were also that bulletproof. :) ;)

Unfortunately, looks like Mazda cut some corners with their paint job and body panel anti-rust treatment. :( It is not only about the paint used but how the body panels were rust protected under the paint.
Rust at such young age is unacceptable....on any modern car.

Not trying to defend Mazda here, but if any car sits outside with damaged paint for a year, it will start to rust. Those spots look like the paint was scratched through to the metal and nobody saw it.

That damage should have been found during a pre delivery inspection, so I would give the dealer hell.

Sounds like you applied paint on top of the rust? Did you clean off the existing rust first? If not, then the rust will continue to spread underneath the paint you just put on.

These are all the rusted chips on my CX-9's roof:

20180506_191329110_i_OS.jpg

20180506_191346438_i_OS.jpg

20180506_191411165_i_OS.jpg

20180506_191454723_i_OS.jpg

20180506_191504254_i_OS.jpg

There are other chips at the front end but not rusted yet. I mean, this is crazy for only one month of use.

I'm dealing with the dealer's general manager directly for all the issues with my CX-9 so far. We set an appointment this Friday with a person in charge of the Mazda's warranty division (not dealers) in the island. Hopefully, they decide to fix all the issues at least the rust issue, if not I think I will use the legal route on them but I'm not going to pay for the repairs.

It's pretty sad that they almost charge 10k more for the second gen cx-9's and the quality is still bad. I wonder what else will go wrong with these vehicles. Just to add the leather on my first gen ripped and that leather is paper thin. I have owned cars before where i never had a problem with the leather. I just hope that they didn't skimp on that either. I feel bad for the people who spent 40k or more on these 2nd gens only to find that there are really no improvements to the first gen.

I'm dealing with the dealer's general manager directly for all the issues with my CX-9 so far. We set an appointment this Friday with a person in charge of the Mazda's warranty division (not dealers) in the island. Hopefully, they decide to fix all the issues at least the rust issue, if not I think I will use the legal route on them but I'm not going to pay for the repairs.
That's a lot of damage/rust for a brand new car, wow.

It's pretty sad that they almost charge 10k more for the second gen cx-9's and the quality is still bad. I wonder what else will go wrong with these vehicles. Just to add the leather on my first gen ripped and that leather is paper thin. I have owned cars before where i never had a problem with the leather. I just hope that they didn't skimp on that either. I feel bad for the people who spent 40k or more on these 2nd gens only to find that there are really no improvements to the first gen.

Not even going to address this, especially if you can't recognize the improvements they made. Yes, the paint is still thin, I knew this going into the purchase and made sure that I had the PPF applied when I bought the car.

That's a lot of damage/rust for a brand new car, wow.

A lot of this sounds like carelessness on the dealer's part, in storage, maintenance, and PDI. Without knowing what kind of conditions the OP drives in, those rock chips on the roof look like they might have come from being a "lead" car on the semi during transport to the dealership. Either way, it shows that the Mazda paint is definitely thin. Hopefully you can get this resolved without having to take any legal action.

This is the only paint chip I have on mine, and it's from a careless driver that opened their car door into mine. I don't know if that's primer or steel, either way it looks really thin to me.

attachment.php

IMG_20180508_154320.jpg

Update!

Today I had the opportunity to talk to the guy who is in charge of the warranty claims for Mazda in Puerto Rico at the dealer. He inspected the roof and many of the other issues that I'm confronting at the moment. As many of you, he was amazed by the amount of rust and damage to the roof and he said that it just isn't possible to reach that kind of rust in only 3 or 4 weeks of use on a new car. He took some photos to discuss the issue with Mazda Corporate and initiate the claim process so they can repaint the roof. He also told me to leave the CX-9 at the dealer to verify directly all other issues like the tweeter not working, left mirror and headlights shaking, etc. They are going to call me later at night to test drive the car to see the car's behaviors when is cold and the headlights vibration. So, good news so far. Hopefully all the issues will be approved by Mazda to be fixed ASAP.

Today I picked up the car at the dealer. The roof was repainted completely. Sadly, on of ther door's window was scratched beyond repair during the process and now I am dealing with the bodyshop manager to the the window replaced. It seems like this story have no end.

Today I picked up the car at the dealer. The roof was repainted completely. Sadly, on of ther door's window was scratched beyond repair during the process and now I am dealing with the bodyshop manager to the the window replaced. It seems like this story have no end.

I also have a 2017 CX-9. If I were you I would have demand that its a lemon and have them replaced with another brand new CX-9. I got mine for almost a year and its showing signs of either tree sap or rust showing up on multiple spots. Probably because mine is a frosted white but it don't look good when I want it to be shiny white.

Back