What did you trade-in for your '17 or '18?

My grandparents took me for a ride in their 2001 Toyota Avalon. 376K miles on it. Original engine/transmission. Oil. Tires. Belts. Brakes.Shocks/struts. The car ran and seemed just fine. It taught me a lesson and gave me a glimpse as to part of why they are what I consider affluent (able to drop 6 figures on a whim...if they wanted). They are practical and sensible. There is something in that. The car works fine. There will always be nicer cars. Deal with it.

Wow, thanks for that awesome feedback. As stated in my OP, I don't want car payments again. I am "dealing with it", lol

Hi Kaps, I live Montral Canada and we have a lot of snow during winter. I had enough with shoveling at home or at work to find a parking. I also have a back pain on and off. With my CX-5 2017 GT Tech no more trouble to find any spot. The cargo its better than Accord for sure because the battery at back.
Everything in CX-5 its a plus, ride height, handling, some tech.
For sure I will keep my Accord if not much snow here, Accord its comfy, economic, lots of room inside.

I 1999 Audi were changing ignition coils like there was no tomorrow, perhaps they used the same company as BMW.?

Yes. I was the one and only owner. All services at BMW. The first time they changed the spaŕk plugs and coils was during the first service. Blamed it on my safe driving technique " not aggressive enough and low milage". Idiots ! By that logic all their cars in the show room must be rusting away since they are not driven at all. Later did I realise that there was a recall on that model and all the spark plugs and coils were changed on that model by BMW. A few years later engine lights came on and the spark plugs, coils and injector changed in one cylinder. A week later engine light csme on intermittent, pointing to other cylinders. This time I had enough it was getting too expensive for me. I changed the three remaining coils by myself. The engine lights went off. Noticed that older coils had burnt marks on the side. I posted the pictures on BMW forum. This picture was confirmed by other owners with similar problem. It was eating up coils every few thousand kilometres anď BMW was confused. BMW was changing the whole set of spark plugs, coils and injector and we were paying for their bad design. I got rid of the car and bought a Mazda cx5. I have had Toyota before and never had any serious problem. Ever wondered why BMW second hand value is so low at least in Europe? Every buyer knows that BMW has quality problem and used BMW is a potential problem.

Hi Kaps, I live Montral Canada and we have a lot of snow during winter. I had enough with shoveling at home or at work to find a parking. I also have a back pain on and off. With my CX-5 2017 GT Tech no more trouble to find any spot. The cargo it’s better than Accord for sure because the battery at back.
Everything in CX-5 it’s a plus, ride height, handling, some tech.
For sure I will keep my Accord if not much snow here, Accord it’s comfy, economic, lots of room inside.

Ride height is 32mm lower than the old model, just saying.

Yes I know the 2017 are lower than 2016 CX-5, but Im talking about my Accord and CX-5. No more crunching my back to enter to my vehicle and thats a plus for me. Im happy that the 2017 are
just a little bit lower because I have a old garage and the height are limited.

A 2015 Subaru WRX for my 2017 CX-5 AWD ...
MY insurance is too damn high @ $225 monthly.
Not because of me but of OTHER WRX drivers driving up the price of insurance in general.

(drive2) (five-0)

Not because of me but of OTHER WRX drivers driving up the price of insurance in general.

(drive2) (five-0)

Teenage, 20-somethings wannabe street racers?

2006 Mazda MX5 touring black with black wheels, with 85k on the clock and a check engine light. Dealer gave me $7500, book was around $5K.

2008 Pontiac Vibe with 305,000 KM, the odometer only goes to 299,999.
I got $750CDN for it. Black Book on it was $500.

2008 Pontiac Vibe with 305,000 KM, the odometer only goes to 299,999.
I got $750CDN for it. Black Book on it was $500.

Holy crap! I took about a 4K hit on my trade in! [emoji23]

I’ll take the convenience over all the work of a private sale any day.

Teenage, 20-somethings wannabe street racers?

Because driving manual is fun ...
so much fun you only watch the tach instead of the spedo.

I much rather go home after work in the slow lane with an Auto
than in the fast lane with a manual.

Maybe I am just getting OLD and haven't driven manual in over a decade...

I guess I have First World Problems ...

(drive2) (five-0)

How do you like it in comparison? A good friend of mine has a 2017 WRX and LOVES his. He doesn't say bad things about my car because he is somewhat tactful, but I know he isn't a fan of it/would never own one. Was the insurance why you traded, or was it necessity, or do you actually honestly like the CX5 more? Why?

Because driving manual is fun ...
so much fun you only watch the tach instead of the spedo.

I much rather go home after work in the slow lane with an Auto
than in the fast lane with a manual.

Maybe I am just getting OLD and haven't driven manual in over a decade...

I guess I have First World Problems ...

I dunno man, I don't think I ever focused on my dash more than the outside world.

Traded in a 2015 TLX V6 w/tech FWD. After getting stuck this past winter I decided to try this AWD CUV thing. Plus I needed the extra utility.

Wait, I didn't think they made US market '17s and '18s with a clutch pedal?

EDIT: lol I'm confused. I guess he was being sarcastic. Well s***, I'm not. I'll hold onto my 5-speed until I'm too old and lazy to drive.

Last edited:
Traded in a 2015 TLX V6 w/tech FWD. After getting stuck this past winter I decided to try this AWD CUV thing. Plus I needed the extra utility.

I tried to get my cx5 stuck in the snow and couldn't. also had trouble doing donuts in the snow even since it was still getting a good grip lol. snow is a joke with AWD as long as the tires are proper. I went from a sedan to a CX5 too and it wasn't at all much different in terms of how it feels so that was nice too

Latest posts

Back