Curb = damage!

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

So, I had to stop at the store on my way to work this morning. It was raining hard, and I didnt realize there was a curb where you pull out of the lot. Anyway, I ended up hitting it on the right side of the SUV and driving over it on that side. I was going about 15mph. I heard a loud bang and got out to see the damage done.

It look like the vehicle cleared the curb, and nothing appears to be broken underneath them thet plastic piece that hangs down in front of the tire. It seems to drive ok.

What should I do at this point? Stop and have Mazda inspect it?

Thanks

Huh? So there's a typo there. Are you saying the plastic piece IS broken?
If everything else seems fine, why are you worried? Cars hit curbs all the time, SUV's should be better at hitting curbs. Hell I drive over curbs on purpose some times. Kind of why I bought a SUV.
Disagree with Madar.
How bad is the damage to the plastic piece? What plastic piece?
More deets man@ :D

Ouch!

Only you can know the severity with which it hit the curb... This might be something to report to insurance>? Go ahead and note the date/time/location now for possible future use.

My issues of concern would be:

Alignment
Tires - can get pinched and develop a blister from the curbing
Wheels - can get bent or cracked from the curbing
Lower control arms - bent from curbing
Strut/shocks - bent or even blown out

At the very least, I would want to bring it to a tire/alignment shop for an inspection.

I would agree it’s a good idea to get it checked over. This is a car not a truck after all.

Same thing happened to me back in the day. Pulled into a random gas station and it was dark out and raining and didn't realize there was a curb in front of me. Drove my 3000 GT VR4 right over it. Scared the crap out of me. But it drove fine, and strangely I couldn't find any damage the next morning, despite that car being relatively low to the ground.

If it tracks straight your alignment should still be fine. Might wanna check your rim over a bit too just to make sure it didn't get bent upon impact.

Last edited:
You should be able to tell pretty quickly if anything is off. Any vibrations or pulling?

It’s always a good idea to get something like that checked out. Hitting a curb at 15mph is not a gentle bump.

Yeah agreed. I've hit and drove over many curbs over the 5 years I've owned mine. No issues. Still tracks straight. Even drove over a center median once (long story, let's just say upset stomach, need for a bathroom, and horrendous traffic is a bad mix).

Just things to check would be your tires and rims. Just ensure you didn't damage them. As long as no blisters on the tire and cracks or bends in the rim, should be fine.

Agreed with Puyapim, if the car isn't pulling, then alignment should be fine.

As for that plastic peice around the tire, I can't tell by your post if you are saying it's broken or not. If you did rip out/break the plastic trim piece around the tire, that happened to me and was about $45 to replace. Service King did it for me.

Last week, I took a curve to soon(taking the curve way to fast (whistle)) and hit both right wheels, really hard and nothing happened, except the wheels got uglier. Having fun. Sometimes, the car gets battle marks.

Don’t over react. Drive it for a couple of miles or trips. If anything seems off then get it looked at.

Cars are made to stand up to a lot of punishment. Especially something as flexible as a air filled tire on a suspension.

Last week, I took a curve to soon(taking the curve way to fast (whistle)) and hit both right wheels, really hard and nothing happened, except the wheels got uglier. Having fun. Sometimes, the car gets battle marks.

Don’t over react. Drive it for a couple of miles or trips. If anything seems off then get it looked at.

Cars are made to stand up to a lot of punishment. Especially something as flexible as a air filled tire on a suspension.

This. I think some get caught up babying the car. My experience with my CX-5 is that it will handle some abuse. Mine certainly has battle scars too tibimakai!

I hit a curb with my wife's CX-5 and made a very loud BANG. But as everyone else mentioned - no real lasting damage. Didn't even mess with the alignment. The CX-5 is a resilient car

I hit a curb with my wife's CX-5 and made a very loud BANG. But as everyone else mentioned - no real lasting damage. Didn't even mess with the alignment. The CX-5 is a resilient car

The Mazda looks on (had it looked ones at by a mechanic). However, I did bend a rim (my fear). He uses a company that can repair bent rims. He said it wasnt too bad.

Other that that, he ordered a new air dam for me, and thats all that was found damage wise.

I still cant believe I did that! It seriously scared the crap out of me. And, of course, it was suppose to be detailed on Saturday, lol!

Back