Fault code p0016

Aguilar510

:
Cx-9
Hey guys I have a dilemma with my*
2013 cx-9, I just recently had a water pump fail which dumped coolant in my oil, I replace the water pump also the timing chain guides. The timing chain was installed correctly all three timing marks where aligned now I'm getting a fault code P0016, so I'm thinking could the contaminated oil have damaged the cam phaser? which might be throwing the cam out of timing with the cam sensor ... the engine oil has been clean and 520w has been added so I'm not sure why I'm getting the fault code any help would be appreciated thank you

Hey guys I have a dilemma with my*
2013 cx-9, I just recently had a water pump fail which dumped coolant in my oil, I replace the water pump also the timing chain guides. The timing chain was installed correctly all three timing marks where aligned now I'm getting a fault code P0016, so I'm thinking could the contaminated oil have damaged the cam phaser? which might be throwing the cam out of timing with the cam sensor ... the engine oil has been clean and 520w has been added so I'm not sure why I'm getting the fault code any help would be appreciated thank you

Wow, sorry to hear about the pump et al, but I would be willing to bet your chains are not aligned properly. It's pretty easy to be off by a tooth or miss TDC a little at the crank. It is possible a bad VVT solenoid is causing trouble. Did you clean/inspect them when you had it all apart? Is the cod always on at idle or waits until under load? If intermittne or under load, it's likely VVT issues.

To test, disconnect wires fom VVT solenoids and see if you still get code with them deactivated. You don't need them to run anyway. If still coding, time to take it all apart again. Start with valve covers allowing access to solenoids to clean. There's one little bolt holding the solenoids in. Once you pull them you can inspect the screens to see if they are clear.

Here's hopiing you don't have to pull that cover and chain again.

Thaumaturge,
Thank you for your help when I put it back together it had a really rough idle also gave me a misfire on cylinder number 4, I thought I had missed a tooth on a timing chain so I took it apart and double-checked, I align all colored links on the chain to all marks on the pullys and they were perfect I also checked the solenoid screen and they where clean at this point I'm kind of iffy if i should put it back together since I didn't see anything wrong, but obviously something is. The only thing that I can think of is weather the thick milky oil damage the VVT .

I have an 08 Mazda CX-9 GT just had the water pump fail on me back in June 2018 at 156000 and had the timing chain, chain guides, and water pump replaced and I get the engine light with the same code plus the miss fire on cylinder four. I get a rough idle with a ticking noise coming from the engine. The CX9 runs and feels strong and I wanna sell it or trade it for a truck but I wouldnt feel right getting rid of it with that miss fire. Whats the VVT variable valve timing?

Back