Certified ‘15 CX5 Touring-Vibration?

:
Mazda CX-5
Hello all,
I purchased a certified used 2015 CX5 AWD Touring on April 16,2018. 25,000 miles and I did add the 10/100,000 wrap warranty.

Now I only have a 5min drive to work weekdays. Speeds from 35-55mph, drives great no vibration at all. Highway speeds 70-80mph are a different story.
I have had it back to the Mazda dealer 3 times. Per certified they installed new yokohama tires, brake pads and resurfaced the rotors, alignment. The times I brought it back they said they rechecked alignment and rebalance the tires. It was moderate to severe and now it’s mild to moderate. It’s mostly in the seats. We took a 3 hour drive from Syracuse to Albany on interstate 90, with cruise set at 75mph. The front was a mild vibration and the back seats mild with on and off moderate. It’s weird as it’s not consistent and wondering if it’s the way it’s suppose to drive(nature of the beast) or point me in the right direction. 30K service is coming up and wondering if related to trans fluid change or differential fluid.

This video was before they had it for like a week trying to find something. Water bottle in center cup holder. Like the jurassic Park scene.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j61vg10fbuhek3b/Video Mar 18, 3 57 11 PM.mov?dl=0

...that ain't right!

Car was never in an accident, was it? (they will still CPO these...)
That was a question I asked, the sales person said they can CPO accident, as long as it was under $1,000. But they may have been BSing me.
When I bought they showed the report. No accidents. I just ran the VIN again and still shows no accidents.
5600964a64e715324ab6a498ab8ebbd5.jpg

My initial guess is you’ve got a problem with one or more of the wheels like bent from pothole damage or something. But it could also be a problem in the driveline somewhere.

My initial guess is you’ve got a problem with one or more of the wheels like bent from pothole damage or something. But it could also be a problem in the driveline somewhere.

I can confirm when they had it for the week, they gave me loaner off the lot. 2018 CX5 Touring with the 19” and it did have the same minor highway speed vibration. But it did not have the on and off moderate. Forgot to say mine has the 17” tires.
I think I can live with the minor but the now and then moderate is just confusing. Was thinking like when the AWD kicks in the rear? I was just looking at one of the work orders, they forgot to tell my wife when she picked up. They replaced a transmission oil pressure sensor.

I dunno. Mine has a bit of vibration, but it's due to the tires. Nokian WRG3 SUV's. The side-walls are absurdly stiff.

... They replaced a transmission oil pressure sensor.

I wonder if at any point they had to remove the prop shaft. It may be out of balance, either not installed into original position, or accidentally dropped on the floor. Happens all the time. May be ask them to check its balance?

I assume its not the pavement itself? Sometimes a texture isnt added to improve traction in wet weather/ice....and that could I suppose setup a resonant frequency in the car at certain speeds. Theres a certain stretch of highway near me that does this every time...

I assume it’s not the pavement itself? Sometimes a texture isn’t added to improve traction in wet weather/ice....and that could I suppose setup a resonant frequency in the car at certain speeds. There’s a certain stretch of highway near me that does this every time...

This is true and I can think of a few such patches on my daily commute.

I assume it’s not the pavement itself? Sometimes a texture isn’t added to improve traction in wet weather/ice....and that could I suppose setup a resonant frequency in the car at certain speeds. There’s a certain stretch of highway near me that does this every time...

True but same route, good roads. No vibration with my other 2 vehicle. But they both GM. I90 runs west to east through NYS toll way, very good to new pavement.

That was a question I asked, the sales person said they can CPO accident, as long as it was under $1,000. But they may have been BSing me.
When I bought they showed the report. No accidents. I just ran the VIN again and still shows no accidents.
5600964a64e715324ab6a498ab8ebbd5.jpg

That's total crap. My 2014 CX5 was in 2 accidents, first one was over $2,000. Traded it in and Mazda rebranded it as CPO. I'd get the tire balance checked/rebalanced at an independent shop.

Last edited:
When it happens I also get vibration with driver side mirror and hood. I did replace all four of the hood stop rubbers. Helped a lot on the hood vibration. Maybe my OCD on new vehicle.
Got both side panels and hood same level, but the gap from front passenger side to driver side gets wider from the grill. Thank that’s normal. As driver side has the opening for the air intake.

So little update. I found that the transmission has a dip stick so wanted to check. Wow have to remove the air box to get to and then install the top with the air sensor to run to check.
I first started cold at 75 outside time and the fluid was barely on the stick.
In this pic it was below the black line I marked on picture.
f056229ec8f305aaa10728f9e137dabc.jpg

So then I put in 1/2Liter then drove for about 10 minutes. Removed the air box then went through the gears, then left in neutral and park to check level. Level was still between the cold line and the middle rectangle. Added the other 1/2Liter and it was just below the hot 122F line.
So I ended up putting a whole Liter in of smurf juice(FZ type)
Next morning drove about 10minutes city roads to store and took 5minute highway roads back home. Was a short trip at 75mph but did not have any vibration. When I got home about 3 minutes to remove air box again restart and checked in neutral and now it looks little overfilled. See it’s at the 1 in the hot (122F).
f47c8ab7bee0787b725e75fb5543aa77.jpg

On a side note anyone know the o-ring size on the transmission dip stick. Mine is in ok shape, but I would prefer to change it.

Back