Chipped Windshield

I can commiserate with you. I got whacked with a rock yesterday. My poor baby, less than 2k miles, has a huge "bug splatter" on the passenger side windshield. Ever worse, I can't repair it since it wasn't a crack but a scuff that made the outside glass rough.

However, for those who can repair this was helpful to me:

pPmAliT.jpg

That’s pretty helpful. That is why I was asking if it penetrates the first layer or not as an indication as that is how it was explained to me by a gas repair tech.

Thanks a bunch to everyone. That Chart is very useful. Thank I'm going to hold off on repair for now.

I just did our first chip on the CX-5 with the $15 Rain-X kit. It was a chip with 2 wings/cracks like the middle picture. I know this type can spread fast, so I fixed it the following day after it occurred. I have done other repair kits in the past on other vehicles, and I have always been happy with the results.

(detect)I can usually find the repaired spot if I am carefully looking for it, but it will no longer stand out.

I just did our first chip on the CX-5 with the $15 Rain-X kit. It was a chip with 2 wings/cracks like the middle picture. I know this type can spread fast, so I fixed it the following day after it occurred. I have done other repair kits in the past on other vehicles, and I have always been happy with the results.

(detect)I can usually find the repaired spot if I am carefully looking for it, but it will no longer stand out.

Cool beans man! I can attest that using the Rain-X kit is so easy that the instructions complicates and confuses newbies. I can do a solid repair without even using the plunger tool. Simply scrape off whatever sand like grit you can from the crater, clean and prep surrounding area, apply a few drops of clear resin undo sheet, place sheet over crater, resin gets absorbed into crater, cure under sunlight 15-20 minutes, remove sheet, scrape until smooth with razor blade. Repeat resin drop with new sheet if needed otherwise you stopped crack from expanding.

The trick to bypassing the plunger is to warm of resin bottle in hot water, also keep windshield under hot sun. Heat helps resin get into crevices. Plunger is merely there to "push" thick resin into the crater.

Last edited:
Had mine for 1 year now 17 touring. Windshield has pits all over it and chips, no cracks. Terrible looks like someone took a sandblaster to it. In all the cars I have had I never had this many chips. I live in PA which they use salt and such in the winters, but this windshield is def junk compared to the Jeep and my Mazda 3 I had heck even the wife's 16.5 has little to none...

I was a windshield repair technician for a number of years and can share a few personal observations and opinions. The repair process I used to use was the Glas-Weld system, and it probably produces the best quality repairs of any process I've seen since. It uses a device that creates a vacuum to remove the air from the rock chip or crack before the resin is injected and cured. I've had Safelite and other companies repair chips before on my personal vehicles and their systems merely inject the resin into the chip, usually leaving the tips of the cracks unfilled and capable of cracking further. The DIY kits from the auto parts stores have the same basic problem; the inability to completely fill the crack to prevent further spreading. Additionally, if the chip/crack isn't filled completely it will remain visible in the glass.

Bottom line - if you want your chip repaired properly to minimize it's visibility and prevent it from spreading, search out a company that uses the Glas-Weld system.

Bonus tip - if you have glass coverage on your vehicle, most insurance companies will waive any deductible for a windshield repair.

Bonus tip - if you have glass coverage on your vehicle, most insurance companies will waive any deductible for a windshield repair.
One of the best benefits of your comprehensive coverage!

Back