Chipped Windshield

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5
Well, first boo boo in 2-1/2 years to my 16 CX-5 today. Rock off a gravel truck put two tiny tiny chips in my windshield about 1/4" apart.Question, they do not really bother me but even as small as they are should I go ahead and try and get it repaired??????

Generally speaking yes you want to repair to prevent cracking. How big is tiny and does it look like it penetrates the first layer?

If it penetrates the first layer you definitely have a risk of cracking. I would get it fixed if it were my car.

Get the aprox $10 Rain-X kit at Wal-mart. Fixed about 7-8 chips thus far using that kit. Easy to use.

Do not wait unless you want it to spread into a long crack.

Word of advice. I used a rexin based rainx kit to fix scratches. Sometimes they do not penetrate deep into the scratch - scratch is fixed and rexin will hold well and won't allow it to spread but you still see a line in middle of the windshield. A blow dryer from inside the windshield might work. Its 10 bucks. Good luck.

Yes, get it repaired. If you don't, it has the potential to start cracking.

Personally I’d have it done professionally. It’s not that expensive and the results will probably be better. And in some cases your insurance will cover it.

How in the world do you repair a chip? Apply material and then polish it flat? A chip won't crack. A crack will crack.

Most chips, particularly those that penetrate the outer laminate, have what they call "angel wings" protruding from two sides. That's what starts the crack unless it's repaired. The repair consists of drilling/cleaning out the center of the chip and filling it with some sort of an epoxy. That arrest the tendency for the wings to crack.

I'm following this discussion as well. After driving to work in the rain this morning, I noticed that what I thought were bug marks on the windshield did not clean off with the wipers. Ran my nail over the two tiny marks and felt two definite chips, right in my line of sight, too.

Yea I got a pit in the windshield of my GTI right in line of site like a week after I got it. So irritating. But as a pit they can’t really do anything without making it worse. And I’d feel silly replacing over something so small.

Our CX-5 has some too but none right in line of sight like that.

Not sure if it’s done in the same way but Novus fixed a couple of chips in my Mitsubishi’s using a clear epoxy that they injected into the chip area. It worked very well as long as no dirt had gotten into the chip.

I used to have some clear round stickers in the glove box in case it happened again. The sticker was meant to keep dirt out until it could be repaired.

Back