CX-9 Smart City Braking system question

Peter Dawson

:
2017 CX 9
How do I know if the Smart City Braking system is operating in my 2018 Mazda Touring CX-9 without actually running in to someone.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

PD.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do I know if the Smart City Braking system is operating in my 2018 Mazda Touring CX-9 without actually running in to someone
Any suggestions would be very much appreciated
PD.

Honestly, you don't :)

If you were really concerned about it, I would set the warning to far and drive slowly toward something.

I leave mine set on near and it has definitely stopped me from hitting things once or twice....

Attachments

• Bozo.jpeg
    Bozo.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 177
Mine has tried to stop me a few times...when cars in front of me are turning right and my CX-9 doesn't think I'm slowing down enough. A big red and white BRAKE! will flash in the HUD. I've not had it actually fully brake for me since I've always caught it before it needed to stop the car...so I know mine works.

Last edited:
My wife said, it triggered the smart brake once for her. Cars in the front were breaking suddenly. Before, she could even think about braking, the auto-brake took control and stopped our CX 9. Luckily no one was behind:)

Mine has tried to stop me a few times...when cars in front of me are turning right and my CX-9 doesn't think I'm slowing down enough. A big red and white BRAKE! will flash in the HUD. I've not had it actually fully brake for me since I've always caught it before it needed to stop the car...so I know mine works.
This...when it activates you cannot miss it.

My wife said, it triggered the smart brake once for her. Cars in the front were breaking suddenly. Before, she could even think about braking, the auto-brake took control and stopped our CX 9. Luckily no one was behind:)
I was on a road trip a few days ago with my radar cruise control engaged, humming along at about 60 mph heading into Savannah, when all of a sudden my CX-9 started braking and a concomitant noise ensued. Whew, thanks Mazda! A car ahead had stalled and everyone was braking in a hurry. The car behind me swerved to my rear left to avoid hitting me and all was okay. The system had recognized before I could what was happening. Now that's useful safety tech!

I set up a big cardboard box in my court and tried out the system in my 6. Crazy how it worked and stopped the car on its own. I guess not crazy as that's what it is supposed to do, but crazy none the less :)

Back