Tire Pressure

Yea I don’t know why but that dealer did it to me every time. So after a while I just made a point of rechecking after I got my car back from them.

On the first service for our CX-5 on their checklist they simply noted air pressure was correct and did not change them.

So at least some dealers don’t over inflate.

Just make sure you measure them when they're COLD, early in the morning, not in direct sunlight, and not after being driven. 36 works for me.

Agreed, I like to do it first thing in the morning before driving. My cars are garaged.

Agreed, I like to do it first thing in the morning before driving. My cars are garaged.
I just brought it directly to the dealer an they adjusted the pressure to 34 .

I did drive a good 20 min before getting there .

I run 38 PSI in all my tires, winter blizzaks WS80 and the stock Toyo A23 for summer. Winter tires need a bit more pressure, it's stated so in the owners manual. I fnd 38 psi gives me the best performance, wear and MPG for my style of driving.

I just brought it directly to the dealer an they adjusted the pressure to 34 .

I did drive a good 20 min before getting there .

If you drove 20 min, and the dealer then set the tires to 34psi WARM, the tires will be under 34psi when COLD. So you will be leaning a bit on the underinflated side.

The rule of thumb is that a tires air pressure will increase/decrease 1 PSI for every 10 degrees of F temperature.

FOR EXAMPLE: If you set the tires to 34 when the tires are already warmed up, say 90 degrees F, then when the tire is COLD say 50 degrees F, the tires pressure will be 30psi.

The reason that the manufacturer pumps the tires up at the factory is so that there is no settling, shifting, or movement of the car during transport on the boat, train, truck trailer. This pressure is supposed to be adjusted at the selling dealer when the vehicle goes thru the pre-delivery inspection. Not all dealers correctly perform the PDI process.
(bang)

Last edited:
If you drove 20 min, and the dealer then set the tires to 34psi WARM, the tires will be under 34psi when COLD. So you will be leaning a bit on the underinflated side.

The rule of thumb is that a tires air pressure will increase/decrease 1 PSI for every 10 degrees of F temperature.

FOR EXAMPLE: If you set the tires to 34 when the tires are already warmed up, say 90 degrees F, then when the tire is COLD say 50 degrees F, the tires pressure will be 30psi.

The reason that the manufacturer pumps the tires up at the factory is so that there is no settling, shifting, or movement of the car during transport on the boat, train, truck trailer. This pressure is supposed to be adjusted at the selling dealer when the vehicle goes thru the pre-delivery inspection. Not all dealers correctly perform the PDI process.
(bang)
Yes they knew i drove it in maybe 30 min drive and its about 50 f this morning .

They said they took it in consideration

It would also be wise to go ahead and set yourself up with some sort of compressor and air pressure gauge for 20-25 bucks

Yup I just have a basic pancake compressor from Harbor Freight. It’s cheap and all you need for topping up tires.

I run 38 PSI in all my tires, winter blizzaks WS80 and the stock Toyo A23 for summer. Winter tires need a bit more pressure, it's stated so in the owners manual. I fnd 38 psi gives me the best performance, wear and MPG for my style of driving.

Concur.

I have WS80's as well and run them at 38.

My all-seasons I run at 36.

Dealer adjusted to 34 , you can feel a difference from 39 on the all season's.

You dont feel the bumps as much
And watch your outer tread wearing out faster like under-inflated tires ⋯ ;)

Well i checked in the morning and they were closer to 35 , why is 34 the recommended pressure an seems that no one is ok with it?

I think you're fine running the recommended pressure. That's what I've always done and haven't had this outside wear problem..... If your alignment is good, your suspension is in good order, and you rotate your tires like you should you should be fine on wear.

Some advantages of running higher pressure

Increased fuel economy
more responsive feel (b/c the tire flexes less and responds faster)

Some disadvantages

reduced grip (b/c the tire can't flex and stay in contact with the road as well)
increased risk of impact damage

Well i checked in the morning and they were closer to 35 , why is 34 the recommended pressure an seems that no one is ok with it?
Well the biggest problem on factory recommended tire pressure in the US is "one-size-fit-all" approach. You need higher pressure for heavier load and faster speed. As you can see in Mexico Mazda would recommend as much as 42 psi in certain conditions. Tires are also gradually losing air pressure due to seasonal changes. Most likely your tires are under-inflated unless you can check tire pressure often and adjust the air pressure accordingly. This would be a hassle unless the vehicle has direct-read tire pressure sensors. Keep tire pressure a little higher each time you check can have better chance to make tire pressure staying above recommended pressure, which can also have some benefit on better MPG. Under-inflated tires are easier to cause higher operating temperature on tires, hence more likely to have a blow-out.

Factory recommended tire pressure is only for OE tires as different brand of tires or newer tires have different characteristics. For example factory recommended tire pressure is 26 psi on my 1998 Honda CR-V, but I have to use at least 35 psi on replacement tires, or the tires feel severe under-inflated, not to mention it's wearing out outer tread really fast!

I think you're fine running the recommended pressure. That's what I've always done and haven't had this outside wear problem..... If your alignment is good, your suspension is in good order, and you rotate your tires like you should you should be fine on wear.

Some advantages of running higher pressure

Increased fuel economy
more responsive feel (b/c the tire flexes less and responds faster)

Some disadvantages

reduced grip (b/c the tire can't flex and stay in contact with the road as well)
increased risk of impact damage
The outer tread wear I mentioned is caused by under-inflation, not out of alignment.

And I can't agree with you on disadvantages of higher tire pressure you listed.

Well the biggest problem on factory recommended tire pressure in the US is "one-size-fit-all" approach. You need higher pressure for heavier load and faster speed. As you can see in Mexico Mazda would recommend as much as 42 psi in certain conditions. Tires are also gradually losing air pressure due to seasonal changes. Most likely your tires are under-inflated unless you can check tire pressure often and adjust the air pressure accordingly. This would be a hassle unless the vehicle has direct-read tire pressure sensors. Keep tire pressure a little higher each time you check can have better chance to make tire pressure staying above recommended pressure, which can also have some benefit on better MPG. Under-inflated tires are easier to cause higher operating temperature on tires, hence more likely to have a blow-out.

Factory recommended tire pressure is only for OE tires as different brand of tires or newer tires have different characteristics. For example factory recommended tire pressure is 26 psi on my 1998 Honda CR-V, but I have to use at least 35 psi on replacement tires, or the tires feel severe under-inflated, not to mention it's wearing out outer tread really fast!
Thats some very good information!

I have a 2017 cx 5 and just switched from winters to the all seasons brand new tires OEM

Maybe i will add some air to get 36 on them .

But why does the dealer insist the recommended 34 , its like you feel guilty if you do the opposite of what they say lol

I’m recommending he correctly inflate not under inflate. I don’t care if you agree it’s true.

There is a range that is good or correct. There is also under and over which both can cause problems.

Back