2017~2024 CX5 GT Rear Calipers

borish1234

:
2017 Mazda CX5 GT
Have 2017 CX5 GT AWD with 7000km and exposed to its first winter, recently swapped out my winter tires and their genuine Mazda steel Rims back to its alloys and "All seasons"; was shocked to see the level of oxidation on the rear calipers. Oddly the larger front calipers do not have this extreme oxidation. Has any other Canadian or northern state owners have similar experience and did you address with Mazda dealer? Thanks from Toronto!

I wonder if this is one reason the rears often wear out faster than the fronts.

Same area and just noticed this year how bad it looks but at 55,000km and nearly 4 years old - nothing yet replaced on the vehicle but brakes and OEM all seasons within next year I am thinking. I was just searching on what to do about it.

For interest sake - I did purchase one of those dealer "got ya's" electronic rust-proofing doo hickey's. I ended up getting an extra $500 off the purchase price than expected and used it for this. I don't have rust anywhere else except here. Not really sure how well that is working - will know when it is 8-10 years old! Figure it saves me a trip each year for undercoating at $90 a pop.

I have heard about Mazda's issues with body rust and brake squeeling was told by Mazda dealer all been rsolved when I bought. But at 7000km, the rear brakes look brutal! It's obviously a reaction to road salt on what ever metal Mazda uses on the rear calipers vs the larger fronts. I have a 2007 Camry that look better. I do an annual oil rust proofing on all my vehicles and spray wash over the winters as well.

Can you post any pictures? I feel Mazda has been doing a poor job on rust-proofing for undercarriage area. Read this thread and you'll be the judge:

Just joined the club and question on rust

Rear brake calipers receive more slush of snow with salt from front tires and they should show more oxidation than front. The only way to make them not getting worse is to wash them more often if you can (if the temperature ever rises above freezing). And many Canadian CX-5 owners recommend rust-proofing when new:

Rustproofing & Undercoating...is it necessary?

Here is comparison pictures from Southern New Hampshire:
Rust like that after a few years even with heavy use of salt I believe is unacceptable with today's coatings and materials to look worse than a car that is 13 years old is not acceptable. How can Mazda get away with this? I love how this car drives and looks but also want one that will last. Also very happy with fuel economy so far getting around 30.5MPG on my 100 mile round trip commute.

2005 toyota matrix/pontiac vibe - 225K miles driving 100 miles a day
attachment.php

View attachment 216618

2014 CX-5 (seen 2 winters) -28K miles
attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 216616
View attachment 216617

This CX-5 is from Illinois:
Just spent 3 hours under my 3 year old CX-5. Did AT, Engine and 2x TC oil changes.

Rust level in various spots on 36 month car was tad too much. Mark this post, but in 4 season weather I don't see this version last 10 years.

If this is CA/FL type of no salt climate - all should be fine, but winter states beware.

This CX-5 is from Toronto area in Canada:

The caliper body is made from a iron casting which gets a passivated finish to stop it corroding while new. It doesn’t last long nor does it take any harm. I painted my 2016 front ones at 12 months old just to tart them up, nothing more.

IMG_3102.jpg

IMG_3100.jpg

Also tend to give my cars a good thick coating of under body wax..........

IMG_3529.jpg

calipers

Hope images of calipers attach to reply?

Attachments

• 2017CX5BackCaliper.jpg
    2017CX5BackCaliper.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 417
  • 2017CX5FrontCaliper.jpg
    2017CX5FrontCaliper.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 432
Hope images of calipers attach to reply?
2017CX5BackCaliper.jpg
attachment.php

2017CX5FrontCaliper.jpg
attachment.php
Thanks for the photos. I guess not much you can do on this other than wash them as much as you can during winter, or apply some paint after cleaning up the oxidation.

If rust is a problem in your area, spraying linseed oil under the body every 2 to 3 years may be a cheap and good solution. It is non toxic and easy to spray by yourself. There is a lot of information in the internet on its rust proofing effects.

Back