2014 CX-5 Liftgate Won't Open

My switch has now failed for the second time. I have a 2013 CX-5. The first switch was replaced and solved the problem for about 5 months. I have to take the door apart again, but I believe it is due to water leaking in again and shorting the switch. I know the various seals near, above or around the switch aren't terribly great. I'll be checking wiper shaft seals and see about reinforcing any seal near the switch (if I can see it isn't related to anything else). I do believe the connections could be corroded as well, so I'll mention my fix as I solve this issue. I do know that carwash pressure washing anywhere near that switch isn't a great idea on the 2013 models. That seems to be what revived the issue.

I'm the OP on this thread. Maybe corrosion from the initial water getting in finally got the contacts messed up? When dealer did my fix it included new connectors and I haven't had any issues since. Recently I started using an automated car wash (heresy...I know) several times per week and so far no problems with water getting in...at least as far as I can tell. All I know is that the liftgate opens when I need it to open. Fingers crossed...
Bill

I'm the OP on this thread. Maybe corrosion from the initial water getting in finally got the contacts messed up? When dealer did my fix it included new connectors and I haven't had any issues since. Recently I started using an automated car wash (heresy...I know) several times per week and so far no problems with water getting in...at least as far as I can tell. All I know is that the liftgate opens when I need it to open. Fingers crossed...
Bill
I broke the switch apart and water definitely got inside somehow, but the source wasn't totally clear. I did notice that water can get in from the outside at a car wash if they spray up into the license plate area. The body trim above the plate is supposed to be sealed to prevent water from getting in (I'm at work, so it isn't crystal in my mind what that was). This time, I'm going to double-check seals for anything above the switch. I'm also going to put clear silicone caulking and shrink wrap the problem connections where water can get in. I'll update with photos, etc. later for reference for others.
Thanks for your input.

So I finally got my replacement switch, installed it and hatch works like new again. I'm going to seal up any possible leak areas above the switch and seal the connection/plug on the switch with silicone caulk so it doesn't happen again.

Yep...do what you can to keep water from getting onto the wiring and switch. If the wiring got wet you could have corrosion rear it's ugly head somewhere down the line. My connectors were corroded so dealer installed new connectors. Like I said...no more issues...so far.

I am virtually certain that I know the source of the problem. The two tiny pins on the connector for the hatch release are so thin that they are very susceptible to corrosion from the smallest amount of moisture. My daughters CX5 hatch would not open. Pulled it apart and found rust on the wiper shaft so some moisture has gotten in plus you can see evidence of it dripping down right onto the switch. One of the two small pins is all green from corrosion. When I stick a paperclip into the back of the connector, the motor works.

Last edited:
I am virtually certain that I know the source of the problem. The two tiny pins on the connector for the hatch release are so thin that they are very susceptible to corrosion from the smallest amount of moisture. My daughters CX5 hatch would not open. Pulled it apart and found rust on the wiper shaft so some moisture has gotten in plus you can see evidence of it dripping down right onto the switch. One of the two small pins is all green from corrosion. When I stick a paperclip into the back of the connector, the motor works.
Would it be easy to cover the switch to seal it from dripping water or at least deflect it. Just curious since I've never been inside the hatch and don't know the layout.

Try this after my batt was replaced everything else was reset.
Everything else worked but my lifgate, had to reset the Keep Alive Mem.
simple worked like a charm

Back