Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Liftgate Won't Open

Registered Member

I went through the same thing...replaced the switch and the actuator...and still had it fail again after a rain. Check the seal around the shaft of the wiper in back or any other place water could get in when it rains. If water is getting in it will just fail again.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SA Bill View Post
    I went through the same thing...replaced the switch and the actuator...and still had it fail again after a rain. Check the seal around the shaft of the wiper in back or any other place water could get in when it rains. If water is getting in it will just fail again.
    Hi Bill,
    Have you figured out that rear hatch problem? I live in southern california and have had my 2016 cx5 for about 2 years. Been having intermittent issues with the rear hatch not opening. Its like it has a mind of its own. Replaced the switch and no luck. I brought it to the dealer and it works all of a sudden. It's so weird.

Any info would be great.

Registered Member

Check the gasket around the rear wiper shaft where it goes through the liftgate window. Look for cracks in the gasket.That's where my issue was. Body shop tore the gasket that the shaft goes through and that allowed water (rain, carwash, sprinkler, whatever) to drip down inside the liftgate and get on the switch. Once the dealer saw that the gasket was torn, they replaced the gasket and the switch and (I think) installed a plastic cover over the switch and wiring that is supposed to keep any water that gets inside from getting on the switch and wires inside. Once the gasket and new switch were installed it hasn't failed again.

Could also be corrosion in the connectors inside. If you can remove the inside cover on the liftgate you could unplug and replug the connectors several times to see if that helps.

Worst case the actuator could be going bad? Hard to easily diagnose that. Especially if it's an intermittent problem.
    Good luck and let us know what fixes your '16.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by SA Bill View Post
    Check the gasket around the rear wiper shaft where it goes through the liftgate window. Look for cracks in the gasket.That's where my issue was. Body shop tore the gasket that the shaft goes through and that allowed water (rain, carwash, sprinkler, whatever) to drip down inside the liftgate and get on the switch. Once the dealer saw that the gasket was torn, they replaced the gasket and the switch and (I think) installed a plastic cover over the switch and wiring that is supposed to keep any water that gets inside from getting on the switch and wires inside. Once the gasket and new switch were installed it hasn't failed again.

Could also be corrosion in the connectors inside. If you can remove the inside cover on the liftgate you could unplug and replug the connectors several times to see if that helps.

Worst case the actuator could be going bad? Hard to easily diagnose that. Especially if it's an intermittent problem.
    Good luck and let us know what fixes your '16.
    The gasket around the rear window is fine. I don't think it's a moisture thing since it hasn't rained here for a long time.

I finally took it to the dealership because I'm still under my extended warranty...and it was failing pretty bad consistently. I had to get it there quickly because I would need it to fail in front of them so they can witness it and it did. I was glad they saw it fail because I thought I was going crazy. Last couple times I've brought it there, it would work...so frustrating.

They replaced the switch and it worked. I drove it home and it started to fail again. Drove it back later and they replaced the actuator. Drove home and had the same result. Sometimes it'll unlock and sometimes it wouldn't. They went on to replace the body control module...no luck.

Replaced the alarm system because there was a possibility that it may have been interfering with the locking/unlocking. Nope, not that.

A mazda engineer is working on it now so I hope they can figure it out. The dealership has been very helpful and accommodating with this issue.

Registered Member

They may need to replace the connectors on the switch and actuator wiring. The connectors can get corroded inside so just changing the switch or actuator leaves the corrosion inside the connector on the original wiring. A perfect way to get intermittent operation. There's a TSB on this somewhere. As part of the fix there is a shield that is installed over the connectors to prevent water from getting on the connectors. Might ask the service guys about that.
    Hope they figure it out!
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12