2019 CX-5 Details

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
The new Mazda6 info is out and the 2.5G turbo engine:

Power is boosted up to 250 hp with 93 octane fuel, and 227 hp with 87 octane fuel, while torque jumps to 310 lb/ft

So 23 HP more with higher octane. That seems like a good jump just because of the octane.

Do you think the 2.5G turbo will come out in the 2019 CX5?

They also added the Sen Japanese wood and Napa leather. Plus the addition of Ultrasuede seats and 360 cameras.

Do you think they will add the Sen Wood, Napa leather and 360 camera to the 2019 CX5?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how this update sells compared to the previous model. Since sedans are becoming out of favor among car buyers and with Ford’s news yesterday eliminating all but two car models, it remains to be seen.

On the other hand having less choices available may play into Mazda’s hand a bit.

From what others have posted here, there seems to be an issue with configuration/space etc of 2.5T and AWD system in CX-5.

So chances are not good but you never know....

I can see them adding more features in higher trims by adding the signature and the reserve or whatever they are.

One of the big selling points for me was MPG on this car, so adding in the Turbo while the speed and torque upgrades are nice, its not nice at the expense of MPG.

I can see them adding more features in higher trims by adding the signature and the reserve or whatever they are.

One of the big selling points for me was MPG on this car, so adding in the Turbo while the speed and torque upgrades are nice, its not nice at the expense of MPG.

From what I have read, when the turbo was added to the 6, it is slightly less fuel efficient than the 2.5 NA 6 speed auto. So if one was added to the CX-5, might be worse than current figure

It will be interesting to see how this update sells compared to the previous model. Since sedans are becoming out of favor among car buyers and with Fords news yesterday eliminating all but two car models, it remains to be seen.

On the other hand having less choices available may play into Mazdas hand a bit.

Unless Mazda starts to rethink their marketing strategy, the 6 will continue to be ignored by most shoppers.
It's sad really, and I said as much to my dealer when I bought my 2017 Mazda 6 last fall.
I just don't get why this company doesn't promote the 6.
I have never seen an ad for this car, not on TV, in magazines, the internet, not anywhere.
I drove to Florida and back this winter in my new 6, and made a point of observing which Mazda models I saw on the interstates, etc.
I didn't see a single 6 on the highways, there and back. Mine was the only one.
Mazda could put a v10 in that car, with AWD, and still no-one would buy it, because no-one would know it exists.
People shopping and buying Camry's have no idea that the 2018 Mazda 6 can be had with a turbo. No idea.
C'mon Mazda, get your s*** together on this car.

Unless Mazda starts to rethink their marketing strategy, the 6 will continue to be ignored by most shoppers.
It's sad really, and I said as much to my dealer when I bought my 2017 Mazda 6 last fall.
I have never seen an ad for this car, not on TV, in magazines, the internet, not anywhere.
I drove to Florida and back this winter in my new 6, and made a point of observing which Mazda models I saw on the interstates, etc.
Mazda could put a v10 in that car, with AWD, and still no-one would buy it, because no-one would know it exists.
People shopping and buying Camry's have no idea that the 2018 Mazda 6 can be had with a turbo. No idea.

Who cares? It's still slower than the Camry. Why downgrade?

Mazda could put a v10 in that car, with AWD, and still, no-one would buy it, because no-one would know it exists.

Because people don't buy passenger cars anymore. It's all SUVs now. And I doubt someone who buys a Camry cares about a turbo motor, much like 95% of Forester bought the non-turbo engine and only 5% bought the turbo engine despite the Forester's turbo engine having class-leading power. Subaru is no longer offering the turbo in the new 2019 Forester.

These companies do what is best for their bottom line, not what is best for enthusiasts.

Because people don't buy passenger cars anymore. It's all SUVs now. And I doubt someone who buys a Camry cares about a turbo motor, much like 95% of Forester bought the non-turbo engine and only 5% bought the turbo engine despite the Forester's turbo engine having class-leading power. Subaru is no longer offering the turbo in the new 2019 Forester.

These companies do what is best for their bottom line, not what is best for enthusiasts.

Correct. Over here SUV's sales have been greater than passenger cars for over a year now.

In Mazda's case, approx 2000 CX-5's sold each month compared to approx 250 6's. Adding a turbo to the 6 will not make that much of a difference.

Sedans are not selling well, CUVs are. I'm surprised Mazda is still upgrading the 6 since it's not the strong seller like the CX5 is.

It seems as though what Mazda puts in the 6 usually makes it's way into the CX5. So A/C cooled seats, 360 camera, Napa leather and possibly the 2.5G turbo might be an option for the 2019 CX5

Sedans are not selling well, CUVs are. I'm surprised Mazda is still upgrading the 6 since it's not the strong seller like the CX5 is.

It seems as though what Mazda puts in the 6 usually makes it's way into the CX5. So A/C cooled seats, 360 camera, Napa leather and possibly the 2.5G turbo might be an option for the 2019 CX5

Maybe all of these except 2.5T

That still would be a nice upgrade with the A/C cooled seats, 360 camera and Napa leather.

Agreed, but a 2.5T could take it from "just another CUV" to "the best option of the $24-34K CUV pack!" If they put the 2.5T in the CX5, it would finally be "the complete package" and would be putting the X1 and others on notice, and once people began tuning them , for those of that ilk? Man, Mazda could have a class slayer on their hands. That's how I know they won't do it.

They more than likely won't add it as it is selling well without as is. Hope I am wrong

That still would be a nice upgrade with the A/C cooled seats, 360 camera and Napa leather.
For us, would be good to get the ventilated seats and nappa leather as the camera is coming shortly

They more than likely won't add it as it is selling well without as is. Hope I am wrong

I know but I saw this on the JD Powers review of the CX-5:

"Nearly half (43%) of compact SUV buyers agree that, to them, a vehicle is just a way of getting from place to place, yet 66% agree that they like a vehicle that stands out from the crowd, and 88% agree that they like a vehicle that offers responsive handling and powerful acceleration. Most (79%) also agree that they will pay extra to ensure that their vehicle has the latest safety features."

So people who buy these cars want good power and handling.

I don't think the 2.5T would ever find its way into the CX-5.
It would new a different suspension and braking system to cope, and would probably be lowered. So very expensive.

Also making this less likely imo is that the 2.2TTD is coming to a CX5 near you..(headbang)

I don't think the 2.5T would ever find its way into the CX-5.
It would new a different suspension and braking system to cope, and would probably be lowered. So very expensive.

No it wouldn't. The brakes in the CX5 now are plenty adequate. Same for the suspension. The top end of the spectrum (speed) is what requires more brakes, and the CX5 won't really need that bumped. The suspension is fine, it can handle being loaded up with 300+ pounds of torque as we can see from the diesel. Same for the transmission, mounting, diffs, etc. We know the system can handle the 2.5T's output because drivelines "see" torque, not horsepower. Also, why would it need lowering?

Back