kyb 551105

:
mazda5 GT 2009
For those who replaced their rear struts with these monotube upgrade what can you say about them? Is the ride better?

I replaced the original shocks on my 2010 Mazda5 GS (Canadian Model) at 152,348 (mostly highway) kilometers (around 95,000 miles) with the KYB 551105 monotube shocks. One of the originals was leaking oil, but when I compared the two removed shocks, there wasn't much difference in how they felt when compressing them by hand. Prior to removal they seemed to have been damping effectively. The KYB monotubes actually seem to ride better (I was kind of expecting a firmer ride), and definitely improve handling. I had originally ordered some Gabriel twin-tube shocks from Amazon.ca, and somewhat reluctantly paid significantly more money for the KYB 551105 when the Gabriels were delayed. Now I'm very glad I spent the extra money. Note that I've only put about 500 kilometers (around 300 miles) on these shocks so far. I replaced the shock mounts with KYB SM5619, the originals were quite corroded and had cracks at the mounting ears, failure was imminent. I don't know how much of the corrosion was due to road salt. I reused the original shock boots and bumpers as they were in good condition. Hope this helps.

I put them on mine along with new mounts and bump stops. Feels fine. Old shocks were blown so it's hard to compare against the original ride, which was so long ago now.

Back