Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning - Possible Hatch Damage Due to Ice Forming

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyHeretoCX5 View Post
    The dealer seemed an asshole anyhow, not a great customer service even if its not their fault.

As a word of wisdom, in Winter you need to always check if its clear (no ice or hard snow blocking the path) ...same thing could happen if you open the hood and there is snow/hard ice blocking the path. Difference is that the hood is not controlled through a motor so you would feel the resistance and stop opening it
    Thus the frustration...

There was no visible ice or snow blocking the path from outside of the vehicle. Externally the vehicle was free and clear on on the roof with no indication damage would be caused when opening the hatch. There was nothing over or near the roof / hatch joint at all.

The ice had frozen UNDER the top portion of the rear hatch - between the sub structure and the roof. So when the free and clear hatch tried to open and swing in as it does due to it's design, it could not. Thus bending the metal edge out.

Hense... the frustration of the whole situation. I have a working theory of why/how it happened, not that Mazda cares, but I will share when I have time to upload a photo. I will be performing a minor modification in an attempt to prevent it from happening to me again, if in fact it was caused how I thing it was caused. Which in my opinion is a design flaw.

I know others have had the same complaint as I saw another post similar to what I had experienced (interior rubber isolator / weather strip at top of hatch freezeing to the car and ripping off the hatch).

I'll follow up when I have some time to put it together.

Registered Member

CX-5

Hello,
    I have just experienced the same issue. Wondering if you were able to resolve any further?
    Thanks for your time.

Registered Member

'17 3 & CX-5

I wasn't able to get any further with Mazda. I let them when and got the issue repaired on my own.

It REALLY left me sore to get nothing at all but the shaft after being a long time mazda owner and repeat customer.

The reality was I had a lot going on at the time with my twins being born almost immediately after it happened. I was lucky enough to find a local body shop who felt bad for me and my situation and completed the repair at a discounted rate. It was significantly cheaper than the dealer's own body shop. I had visited 3 Mazda dealers in the area and they all came back the same. I think my problem was once it was in the system they kept referring to the original case file. But I have no idea.

Did you have no ice visible on the roof as well? That's what really got me. Absolutely NO WAY to tell damage was about to occur.

I'm 99% certain I know what has caused the problem but Mazda doesn't seem to give two sh*ts about the issue, why it happened, or fixing it. When I get a few minutes I will take a photo of what I've done to try and prevent it from happening again (removing the rubber strip attached to the top of the hatch to let water drain instead of puddling and freezing)

I no longer have any loyalty to any specific dealer and only perform the amount of work specified to retain my mechanical warranty. My repeat business with the brand is no longer gauranteed, where I previously would've come back without question.

In fact I was wanting to trade my 2017 Mazda 3 for a CX-9 when we needed a bigger car for the twins + dog + nanny etc. Instead I didn't even set foot back in the dealership for a test drive and my business went elsewhere.

I feel your pain. Interesting you're also in Ontario in a similar climate. If it happened recently the weather was very similar conditions to when my issue happened.

If you need any support of an additional case in your talks with Mazda I will be happy to help in any way I can. If you get help from Mazda I would appreciate some info as well if I can chase down a re-reimbursement of some sort.

Luckily my damage was isolated to the metal panel on the top of the hatch in front of the plastic spoiler. The body shop removed the hatch, straightened the panel back out with some tooling and re-painted only that top portion of the hatch. Then re-installed the hatch. I paid in the ballpark of $500 for the repair. Other body shops were quoting anywhere $800-$1,200 before taxes.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Warning - Possible Hatch Damage Due to Ice Forming

Quote Originally Posted by Studum View Post
    ⋯ I no longer have any loyalty to any specific dealer and only perform the amount of work specified to retain my mechanical warranty. My repeat business with the brand is no longer gauranteed, where I previously would've come back without question.

In fact I was wanting to trade my 2017 Mazda 3 for a CX-9 when we needed a bigger car for the twins + dog + nanny etc. Instead I didn't even set foot back in the dealership for a test drive and my business went elsewhere.
    I was surprised Mazda Canada didn't give you at least partial help on your damage definitely due to poor design in colder environment. In fact, I even feel Mazda didn't do the testing of its vehicles in colder environment although they do have test facility for different environments if I recall. Your hatch damage is an example, and another example is the new liquid engine mounts which now have to switch to old-styled rubber engine mounts to fix the severe vibration issue in cold weather.

I used to buy only VW vehicles but at certain point VW of America let me down on warranty issues. Like you, I no longer have any loyalty to any specific brand of automobile and I only choose whichever I feel the best to meet my requirements. Would you mind to tell me, instead of CX-9, which bigger vehicle did you get?

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

I don*t see why it*s poor design. Car doors often freeze shut if they*re left outside which is why mine always goes in if there is a hard frost. It*s not poor design, it*s the same as any other car. If it*s cold, it*ll freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    I don*t see why it*s poor design. Car doors often freeze shut if they*re left outside which is why mine always goes in if there is a hard frost. It*s not poor design, it*s the same as any other car. If it*s cold, it*ll freeze.
    Itís not just the freeze, itís the water accumulation when some snow or ice melted getting under the liftgate which freezes again, and when power liftgate opens up the top edge of the liftgate hit the re-freezed ice and gets damaged. Studum has said he didnít see any snow or ice formed outside of the liftgate when he activated the power liftgate, but the hidden ice he couldnít see caused the damage. OP has owned many vehicles before, thisís the first heís having such problem. Like liquid engine mounts, itís definitely a design flaw IMO.

Registered Member
    Donated: $15

2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    Yeah, doors freeze shut all the time, but they don't cause major sheet metal damage when you try to open them. It's poor design because there was an obstruction and the hatch motor kept trying to do it's thing.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Is it unique to the Mazda design? Most hatches swing in there. At least all Iíve owned.

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    Is it unique to the Mazda design? Most hatches swing in there. At least all Iíve owned.
    The problem is the poor drainage in that area for gen-2 CX-5 as gen-1 seems not to have this issue. Of course new power liftgate which wonít stop when thereís resistance compounds the problem.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    The problem is the poor drainage in that area for gen-2 CX-5 as gen-1 seems not to have this issue. Of course new power liftgate which won*t stop when there*s resistance compounds the problem.
    Bingo.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Iíll have to look at how it is on the GTI to compare. But that seems like an easy fix.... when Iíve seen similar kinda ice issues on other brands they always developed a retro fit and created a TSB. Iíve purchased and installed myself in a couple cases. One was literally a block of foam to fill a void.

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    It*s not just the freeze, it*s the water accumulation when some snow or ice melted getting under the liftgate which freezes again, and when power liftgate opens up the top edge of the liftgate hit the re-freezed ice and gets damaged. Studum has said he didn*t see any snow or ice formed outside of the liftgate when he activated the power liftgate, but the hidden ice he couldn*t see caused the damage. OP has owned many vehicles before, this*s the first he*s having such problem. Like liquid engine mounts, it*s definitely a design flaw IMO.
    It*s a one off. We*ve never had it before and why are you so confident that the drainage is poor? The voids around the door are virtually identical to the MkI and any other SUV if it comes to that. What is unusual in this case is the weather conditions. If you get rain then frost it will build up ice and it*s ice that*s done it.

Registered Member

2018 CX5

Just took a look at our '18. There is not much room between the top edge of the hatch and the body of the car. I did pour water into the area of concern and the water drained off quickly. But, I could see snow trapping water in there and then freezing causing an obstruction and hatch damage as it opens.

Thanks for the heads up!! We are expecting snow, sleet, rain, freezing rain here in NJ over the next two days and I warned my wife of the issue.

One solution is the hatch needs to stop moving up when there is resistance. I also notice I have to push down on the hatch with all my weight to stop it from moving up once its moving. No reason for that.

Registered Member

2018, Mazda, CX-5, Snowflake Pearl, Grand Touring

Southern Arizona (40 Miles south of Tucson)
    I live in southern Arizona so ice and snow are not a common problem here, although I did have quite a bit of snow at my house this past New Years Day. Fortunately not enough to cause a hatch problem. However, I did experience a scenario similar to the OP about 3 weeks ago.

I pulled my CX-5 into the garage but realized too late that I had not pulled it in as far as I usually do. Before I came to this realization, I moved to the back of the vehicle to remove some groceries. As I pressed the button to open the hatch it hit me. The hatch door was going to hit the bottom of my opened door.

The first thing I did was grab the hatch and tried to stop it. No joy. Instead of hitting the button, I just hung on to the hatch but my 179 pounds wasn't enough to stop it.

When the hatch hit the bottom of the door, it continued to go up, forcing my door to go further than it was set to go. Fortunately I have a brand new, thick rubber gasket on the bottom of the door so the only damage that was done to the hatch was some nasty scuffing. I was able to correct the paint and only have one very minor scratch that is not easily seen. Also, since I have a double door garage, it did not damage the garage door track like it might have if I had a single, large door. All the force of the hatch was pushing against the center of the single door.

Now here is the problem that I see with what I went through as well as the OP and perhaps a few others that posted on this forum. The hatch would not stop going up, no matter how much down force was put on it. There was no safety cut out and there was no blown fuse.

My situation did not involve any injury from my run away hatch but it could have been disastrous if I had gotten my hand caught between the hatch and the bottom of my garage door. I let go of the hatch door just before it made contact with the garage door bottom. No doubt there would have been a few broken bones in one or both of my hands.

I got lucky this time, escaping vehicle damage and bodily damage but it was close. I was fairly shaken after this incident.

Mazda NA needs to take full responsibility for damage caused by an unsafe, remotely operated portion of their vehicles. A recall is in order.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Last edited by David Paul; 02-11-2019 at 01:21 AM.
    2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Snowflake White Pearl----2016 MX-5 GT Soft Top Ceramic White Metallic.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Warning - Possible Hatch Damage Due to Ice Forming

I am kinda surprised by that as minivans with the auto doors and auto windows have all been designed to detect resistance and stop exactly to avoid injuries and damage. That is a design flaw IMHO.

But Iím sure it will probably take multiple people being injured and forming a class action and/or complaints to NHTSA before they would actually address it.
    Last edited by jthj; 02-10-2019 at 11:01 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast