damage from 30k oil-change interval?

Desertsp

:
TBD
Don't laugh, but I'm considering a 2014 Touring AWD (2.5L) with a long gap in maintenance records. The car was being serviced regularly at a Mazda dealership for about 40k miles, but then two years and another 30k miles go by without any record of maintenance. The dealer isn't offering to sleuth-up those missing records either. Despite being the ones who originally sold and serviced it, all they can produce is history until ~40k (nothing to note there) and then their recent work to prep it for sale (brakes, oil, detail, etc.). Its listed as Certified Pre Owned but I don't believe that's important as it only will cover the car another two years/30k miles....and don't think the dealer is on the hook for repairs anyways. I plan to own at least to 150k miles.

So my question for you guys is (once you're done LOLing) is if the car really did go 30k without an oil change, would the damage definitely be so obvious that a seller wouldn't be able to hide it? Could a thorough inspection by an independent shop easily uncover that amount of damage and wear? If so, I would jut have it inspected then buy with confidence.

OR....is it entirely possible the car really did go 30k without an oil change and nobody can tell until the engine eventually fails early (after the warranty expires, of course!)? If so, I'd probably reject the car, or maybe put in a major lowball offer gambling that service was done but not recorded. Dealer would probably reject that offer though...

What do you guys think? Be honest....but keep in mind I'm looking for a specific color and year and am willing to do some legwork to determine the condition and avoid a lemon.

Thanks - starting to get a feeling I'll be a Mazda CX-5 owner soon!! (in this car or another)

Last edited:
Well my opinions aside. Perhaps it's possible to get the serial number on the oil filter and find out it's manufacture date. That would allow you some extrapolation period of use plus maybe 6 months. Factoring in the average Mile's per year driven based on the current mileage and the time passed since the production of the vehicle, you'd have an idea of when the last undocumented oil change occurred.

As for signs of wear and tear. If a car is taken care of and documents or even records are kept, it's nearly guaranteed that the quality of the vehicle will be better than a vehicle where the owner fails to keep up or document maintenance. Little Gremlins might be more likely as opposed to concise issues that are easily resolved. So might I suggest the old addage of "buyer beware." And of course it's ok to be attached to a color and model year but one might want to mute or even delay ones desires to obtain a vehicle with a more reputable past.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply, this place isn't mazdas247 for nothing!

Great idea about the serial number. Only problem is the oil has been changed to prep for sale...otherwise that's an excellent trick!

Yeah it's tough to want a specific color/year that happens to be uncommon....but I'm willing to wait around for the right deal, or give up an go with something else. Seems a few popup per month within driving distance.

Thanks for the reply, this place isn't mazdas247 for nothing!

Great idea about the serial number. Only problem is the oil has been changed to prep for sale...otherwise that's an excellent trick!

Yeah it's tough to want a specific color/year that happens to be uncommon....but I'm willing to wait around for the right deal, or give up an go with something else. Seems a few popup per month within driving distance.

Based on your reservations if I were you I'd pass. Maybe look for a 15.

This vehicle is CPO at approx 70k miles? Interesting.

Just because it went 30k with undocumented service doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't serviced. I bought a brand new vehicle and changed the oil myself every 3k miles but never documented it...
When someone bought that car, they had no idea how well it was actually taken care of. It had just over 27k miles on it.

That being said, it's a good idea to be cautious. I'd definitely get it inspected by an independent shop. Just be sure to get an oil analysis among other things and you should be good to go.
Also, it's another good idea to buy from a dealership that offers a limited lifetime warranty on drive-train on top of CPO.

Also consider this:

I was receiving lifetime free oil changes from the dealer that I bought my CX-5 from until dealer got bought out in April 2017. Since that time, I received a free oil change from the new dealer (as a courtesy, they discontinued old dealer's oil change program). I also complained to MNAO and they gave me coupons for 2 more free oil changes.

After that, I learned how to do my own and will continue to change my own oil from now on. So yeah, there will be a gap in service records as my CX-5 will likely only see another shop for the transmission fluid or rear diff oil change if cheap enough. I don't feel like doing either.

That said, you don't know for sure one way or the other. I'd agree with others in saying exercise caution.

Lots of people don't do dealer oil changes. I keep record, but I can imagine that many or most do not.

Yep....I hope thats the case they just had it serviced elsewhere.

Found what I think is the prior owners name on some paperwork, so I sent them a Facebook message and will await their reply....if it comes. Probably not going to make a deal without hearing from them.

Track down previous owner, bring donuts, explain you're thinking about buying their former car, ask em' about any oil changes.

Track down previous owner, bring donuts, explain you're thinking about buying their former car, ask em' about any oil changes.

So far haven't heard back. They look older so possibly not on facebook often. Don't even know it's them for sure...

Dealer is playing the "you've gotta act fast" game lol.

So far haven't heard back. They look older so possibly not on facebook often. Don't even know it's them for sure...

Dealer is playing the "you've gotta act fast" game lol.

Let them play their games. If this car was meant for you, it will end up in your driveway.

Made a lowball offer for $14,000 that was rejected. Supposedly it's being sold this weekend to a parent of an employee (seems to be a common refrain) at the "employee rate".

Might check back next week but probably a goner....or going to command more $$$ than I'm willing to pay.

If you have the names of the previous owners and the city that they live in, is it so hard to get their telephone number and speak to them? People are generally helpful. I did exactly the same a few years ago when I had bought a used Toyota RAV 4. Tracked down the first owner and got the car history from him. He was very helpful. Good luck!

I really don't think they just stopped changing the oil...man, I almost NEVER documented oil changes and got them done at Wal-mart when I was in college and/or did them myself if I was home.

If you have the names of the previous owners and the city that they live in, is it so hard to get their telephone number and speak to them? People are generally helpful. I did exactly the same a few years ago when I had bought a used Toyota RAV 4. Tracked down the first owner and got the car history from him. He was very helpful. Good luck!

Theres some service that claims I can buy their phone numbers...might give it a try

I really don't think they just stopped changing the oil...man, I almost NEVER documented oil changes and got them done at Wal-mart when I was in college and/or did them myself if I was home.

I dont think so either, but you just never know. Im starting to realize it might just be a risk I have to take (uncertain history) buying used.

My current car has been in an accident bad enough to require welds in the frame...not on carfax. I didnt do my diligence when buying it and trusted the seller, so Ive been weary since. And Ive found some other CPO listings that I know had poor maintenance history.

Whelp...turns out the car is immaculate..."grandma driven"....and perfect history at reputable shop.

Trying to get it for KBB...$15,600....will see what happens. Wish it wasn't CPO now actually, since that just jacks the price up.

Whelp...turns out the car is immaculate..."grandma driven"....and perfect history at reputable shop.

Trying to get it for KBB...$15,600....will see what happens. Wish it wasn't CPO now actually, since that just jacks the price up.
So the grandma eventually responded your FB message? :)

Honestly my philosophy has always been getting a cheapest new vehicle if possible. There're too many uncertainties buying a used car and you just never know. Besides, paying $15,600 for a 2014 CX-5 Touring AWD with 70,000+ miles? I just don't know. I remember a guy here paid $21,000 with incentives for a brand new 2017 CX-5 Sport a while ago, although he had to drive 500 miles to get it. That'd be something I'd try to get if I really want a lower priced CX-5.

If you can have this used CX-5 checked, make sure to check cylinder compression and that can tell you much of the engine condition. And no there's no way that the oil can last 30,000 miles without changing. The oil will become sludage long befor that and the engine would die.

The dealer now knows you want this vehicle badly. A good deal may not be possible.

Hope it works out for you.

Yup. My first offer was a definite lowball...couple grand below KBB on account of the lack of records. I feel the car is worth almost KBB now that I know it's in good shape. Wouldn't pay more though...

Back